Menu

For fun: What are your earliest memories?

The talk of head coverings in the RE/EO thread reminded me of my two earliest memories. The first one was when my younger brother was born. I don't remember much except I couldn't see him or my mom because very small children (I was not quite 3) weren't allowed in patient rooms. This was the late 60s. The next earliest is the one with the Kleenex.

In case you didn't read that far into the RE/EO thread I remember my mom covering my head with a Kleenex and securing it with a bobby pin before entering a Catholic church. I was about 3 - 3.5.

What is the earliest thing you remember?

Between the ages of 4 and 5:

A flood in Virginia Beach when my parents lived there. The water was on the street up to the curb. I remember being terrified of the "deep" water.

Arguing with a fellow preschool student about how fast the earth spins.

Fighting with my cousin over who had to use the ugly green pillow vs. the pretty pink pillow.

Going to my friend's house to ask her if she wanted to play, but knocking on the wrong door and being terrified and embarrassed.

My mother winding up a little toy car for me over and over and over (I now know that she had the patience of a saint!)

Getting wrongly accused for writing (with ink!) on the windowsill and receiving the only spanking from my mother that she ever did.

My dad making me touch a daddy long legs so that I would see that it didn't hurt me. I just remember screaming as loudly as I could.

Must have been 4 or younger because we moved when I in my 5th year and I remember this happening at the other house --

I snuck into the kitchen and got a hold of my mom's camera and snapped a photo. The flash must've gone off (or it made noise) because mom came into the kitchen to see what happened and I was caught red-handed. Years later, at the newer house, I was going through a photo box and came across a faded color picture taken at, oh, below counter height -- of a half-filled gallon of milk sitting next to the fridge.

I hadn't taken the time to aim anywhere interesting -- just wanted to get the shot off before I got caught. :tongue_smilie:

my earliest are from when I was about 3 1/2 -

"seeing" an angel rise from my brothers bed and running out of the room terrified.

talking about the accident my preschool bus driver got into. i fell off the seat unhurt, just scared. i remember the driver walking me to my door but i don't remember the actual accident.

sitting on the floor in preschool, wondering what in the world i was supposed to do.

Sitting on the floor in the entry way where the washer and dryer were on my mom's braided rug with the sunlight streaming in through the door taking apart a little truck I loved to play with and putting it back together when I was 3.

When I was 3 I sat down on an escalator at the mall.:w00t: I even remember what I was wearing that day. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt too badly. I just needed a few days rest and care at home ~ but I was terrified of escalators for quite a while.

I remember being 2. I didn't know I was 2 but I know now.

We were on a road trip and my parents didn't want to stop the car so I could go potty so they set up my portable potty on the floor between the front console and rear seat and let me go to the bathroom there. :001_huh: I remember thinking it was really strange, exciting and scary all at the same time.

I also remember stopping for a picnic at the side of the road on that same road trip. There was a small herd of miniature horses and my dad walked over to them and picked one up!

I remember being 2-1/2 and using the potty in our front hall. Then, after I had gone, reaching in to play with the perfectly round brown marbles. I couldn't figure where they come from or why they were so slippery. :001_huh::lol: Or why my mother was so darn upset when she found me. :001_huh:- that really puzzled me. :lol:

I remember being a baby. Of course, my memory is not as a baby, but I know I was a baby because I recall exactly what I was wearing & after describing to my mom, it's clear I was under 1. I was sitting at a kitchen cupboard pulling cans out of it and stacking them on the floor. I remember trying to get the cans to sit properly but not being able to.

Is it weird that my first few memories revolve around food and potties? :001_huh::tongue_smilie::lol:

When I was 3 my mom's cat had a litter of kittens. They were all in a laundry basket and I remember playing with them and getting all scratched up. I remember also eating Polar Cups and my mom picking my brother and me up from pre-school because they would announce our names over the P.A. I also remember learning how to swim, also when I was 3 because I thought the lady was trying to drown me. I still remember her big lavender framed sunglasses.

I remember lying in a crib and looking at a glass bottle, when I was 3 years old. Here is a picture of a similar bottle. I was in the hospital and that is an I.V. bottle from back then. I put two and two together when I realized that I had been in the hospital a lot starting then, and the only glass bottle that would have been hanging above any crib I occupied had to have been an I.V. bottle.

I remember lying in a crib and looking at a glass bottle, when I was 3 years old. Here is a picture of a similar bottle. I was in the hospital and that is an I.V. bottle from back then. I put two and two together when I realized that I had been in the hospital a lot starting then, and the only glass bottle that would have been hanging above any crib I occupied had to have been an I.V. bottle.

:grouphug::grouphug: Poor you. That must have been difficult. What was wrong if I may ask?

my earliest are from when I was about 3 1/2 -

sitting on the floor in preschool, wondering what in the world i was supposed to do.

This is one of my earliest memories, the feeling of cluelessness. I wonder now how I made it safely through preschool and kindergarten. I knew how to read before I started school but I distinctly remember that tying my shoes was a big deal to the adults and not to me.

My mother had me taking ballet lessons then too. I remember the pretty leotards and tutus but I don't remember the classes. I only remember the recital. I stood there looking around at all the kids going through the motions of the dance and wondering what I was supposed to be doing. I think they assumed that because I attended all the classes, I understood what was going on.

:grouphug::grouphug: Poor you. That must have been difficult. What was wrong if I may ask?

I had severe kidney disease. It turned out to have been caused by my ureters entering my bladder in the wrong place (causing reflux), and by my ureters not having working valves. As a result, I have one kidney that functions 25% and one that functions 75%.

When I was 10, in 1966, I had surgery during which my ureters were reimplanted and new valves put in.

DS3 inherited this from me (his valves were fine) and was operated on when he was six. The surgery is a lot less complicated now and the recovery period is much shorter than the 9 weeks it took me, thank heavens.

I had severe kidney disease. It turned out to have been caused by my ureters entering my bladder in the wrong place (causing reflux), and by my ureters not having working valves. As a result, I have one kidney that functions 25% and one that functions 75%.

When I was 10, in 1966, I had surgery during which my ureters were reimplanted and new valves put in.

DS3 inherited this from me (his valves were fine) and was operated on when he was six. The surgery is a lot less complicated now and the recovery period is much shorter than the 9 weeks it took me, thank heavens.

Wow. That must have been terrifying for your parents and you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Did you grow up to hate doctors or love them for the help they ultimately gave you? :)

I remember being 2.5yrs old and walking downstairs very early in the morning. It was Easter morning and I saw some eggs hidden. I stood there and quivered with excitement as I realized that I could find and eat everything before anyone else got up! :w00t: I was so excited about the idea of that, that I peed my pajamas right then and there. At that point my dad spoke. Apparently he was downstairs working out and I hadn't seen him. He said "young lady, do I need to put diapers on you?" and I freaked out, running upstairs and crying so hard, partly because he startled me, and partly because I didn't want to be a baby in diapers. But mostly because this meant I couldn't find and eat all the Easter eggs in peace. :lol:

I remember being 2.5yrs old and walking downstairs very early in the morning. It was Easter morning and I saw some eggs hidden. I stood there and quivered with excitement as I realized that I could find and eat everything before anyone else got up! :w00t: I was so excited about the idea of that, that I peed my pajamas right then and there. At that point my dad spoke. Apparently he was downstairs working out and I hadn't seen him. He said "young lady, do I need to put diapers on you?" and I freaked out, running upstairs and crying so hard, partly because he startled me, and partly because I didn't want to be a baby in diapers. But mostly because this meant I couldn't find and eat all the Easter eggs in peace. :lol:

LOL What a great story. You sounded so cute. :) :grouphug:

Aw, poor you.

Believe it or not, the earliest memory I have was sitting on a wooden potty chair in our kitchen, and I pooped for the first time. I jumped up and yelled "poooppppppeeeeeee"

Nice, huh???:lol:

PS and dont ask me why it was in the kitchen, who the heck knows.:tongue_smilie:

My earliest memory is from about 25 months. We were living in Illinois and I remember sitting at my Fischer-Price picnic table in the corner of the kitchen by the back door. I was wearing a purple snowsuit and stretching Mr. Potato Head's glasses to fit on my face. I remember laughing and thinking I was really funny. My dad came home and opened the back door and a blast of cold air came in. He kissed me and went to the living room where I could hear my baby sister crying and my mom talking with guests.

I also remember snippets of our Disneyland trip a few months later. I remember the Peter Pan ride and that there was a baby crying, but it wasn't my sister. I was wearing a harness/leash in the park, and posed with Pluto holding it for a picture. I thought this was hilarious and kept repeating, "The doggie is holding MY leash!"

Trying to escape the house and making it to the grass and being jumped on by a huge honking grasshopper. I screamed.

Sitting on my mother's lap while she ate a salad with a mayo dressing on apples, raisins, celery, carrot. Each time it was celery or carrot, it went in her mouth, but every time one of those desirable bites of apple or raisin was on her fork, the fork would arch up to her (I'd look up) and then suddenly pop down to my mouth. It was a game.

My father hunting my brother's and me in the ravine, pretending he was a cougar, and when he caught us, he threw us on our backs and "ate" our tummies up. Much growling and yowling and prowling on his part.

Did you grow up to hate doctors or love them for the help they ultimately gave you?

I don't hate doctors, but I avoid going to them as much as possible. I usually wait until it is practically an emergency. Doctors and hospitals make me nervous.

When I was a child, I wanted to be a nurse.

I don't hate doctors, but I avoid going to them as much as possible. I usually wait until it is practically an emergency. Doctors and hospitals make me nervous.

When I was a child, I wanted to be a nurse.

I'm the same way. I do everything I can at home and go to doctors as a last result. I really don't like them, even though I know they are really good. I don't like dentists either. They are all necessary evils to me. :D :)

While the memories are not at all pleasant, my earliest memories are of fights between my parents that always ended with my Dad beating my Mom pretty badly. While they were screaming in the living room, I remember being held by my sister and comforted. She was 6 years older and always looked out for me. They finally divorced when I was 4 so these are the only memories I have of my parent's marriage.

I vividly remember the house where we lived and I remember jumping on my parents' bed when I wasn't quite 2 years old. My mom and I were recently talking about this, and I described in detail how that house was laid out. She said we moved away from that house a few months before I turned 2. I also remember getting a package from my grandmother for Christmas when I had just turned 2. We had moved from our house in Georgia (where I remember jumping on the bed) to a new house in Michigan. We lived there for a year. Then I remember visiting my grandparents when we were moving from Michigan back to Georgia when I was about 2 1/2. My grandmother was crying because she was so happy to see us.

Edited by ereks mom

My earliest memory is from when I was 2 1/2. My mom was playing volleyball on a meadow and lost her contact lens in the grass. I can remember helping her look for it for what seemed like hours but probably was all of 20-30 minutes. Why that particular incident made such a memorable impression on me, I have no idea...

I remember being about 4yo, with my father, who was laying on the floor. He was reading the paper, with his weight propped up on his elbows. I was laying in the triangle his arm/body/floor created and looking at the paper with him.

I don't remember much from being 4-5-6, just a few scattered ''snapshot memories" that are just still images.

Most of my memories from that age until late teen hood revolve around fighting or someone getting in trouble. I know I didn't have a horrible childhood, I just don't remember the good stuff. The things that my brain decided to keep was the bad.

I had a new baby sister. So I was either nearly three or had just turned three.

She and I were already dressed for church and my parents were in their room getting ready. My sister was on the couch in one of those plastic infant seats. I remember peering down the hallway of our apartment to see if my parents were still in their room. Then I tiptoed to my wee sister and bit her big toe. I was shocked and scared when she started screaming, so I ran and hid under the kitchen table.

I have quite a few memories of being three or four. Just snippets, but many of them. My husband says he can't remember much at all before age 6. So his first memories are all about school, and how clueless he often felt.

I lived with my parents in another state from the time my oldest son had just turned one, and we moved the week of his third birthday. I presumed that he would not remember anything about our time there, but to this day he still brings up things he remembers from grandma's house. Weird little bits of information that I am sure I've never mentioned, like which wall in which room his bed was against.

I think my earliest memory is of me rocking my high chair back and forth and toppling it over with me in it. I remember my mom saying something like, "Well, that's the end of that thing for you!" She denies this ever happened :confused: but I remember many things she doesn't. Either I make up a lot or her memory is off. :)

I remember talking about my adoption with my mom at 3 or so, and picturing a bunch of babies on a shelf like a pet store each in their own little clear bassinette. I figured they must have picked me out from a bunch of other choices. I understand a little better now ;) But honestly, I like that memory *better* than knowing I was just the next baby that came along that resembled my parents. :glare:

I remember jumping rope in my room (at 4 maybe?) and the ambulance ride that ensued when I hooked the glass light fixture with my rope and caused it to crash down on my head. I remember how much the shot of novacaine hurt and the nice nurse that let me squeeze her hand.

I remember my brother's friend breaking my favorite lovey by throwing it repeatedly against the wall. It was a humpty dumpty doll, and when it broke the stuffing looked like scrambled eggs! That was horrifying to me and funny at the same time.

I have a lot of memories from when I was younger than 3. We moved when I was 3 and I remember my dad dropping a mirror on his foot the day we moved. Before that I have a lot of memories, I had to be younger than 3.

- a boy in the neighborhood selling foam handmade fridge magnets. One was a shoe.

- falling down the basement stairs. I remember being upside down and looking through the staircase.

- skipping through the house singing The Wizard of Oz.

- asking my mother if I could go take a nap. I remember the bedroom was huge and the windows so tall. In reality the room was probably 10 x 12 with regular sized windows. I use this memory as the beginning of my addiction to naps. Forty years later I still love an afternoon nap.

Talking about some incident to my mom that she didn't remember, and I kept telling her she was there, and she finally figured out that I had a dream and explained to me what a dream is.

A flood that filled our basement with a couple feet of water, my uncle walking to our house because my aunt was there, and everyone being appalled that he walked there because he could have gotten washed away. For a week or so afterward, having to walk in the cold, cold water to the end of our 1/4 mile driveway to get to the cars because the bridge over our creek was washed away.

The morning my brother was shot in a hunting accident, standing at the front window and crying for my mother. Visiting my brother in the hospital. My brother coming home in a body cast after a month in the hospital.

Playing on the swing set while our big white german shepherd stood by. His name was Ichabod Crane and we called him Icky for short. :lol:

I was about 4 years for all of these. I think the flood must have been caused by Hurricane Camille, so I would have been 5 when that happened.

Edited by LizzyBee

Reaching up, over the counter for a cupie doll that was sitting in the middle of my birthday cake! I got caught before I could ruin the cake...

Sweeping the front sidewalk.

Playing with wooden puzzles.

My older brothers getting mad at me and running to hide between/behind my mom's legs.

While the memories are not at all pleasant, my earliest memories are of fights between my parents that always ended with my Dad beating my Mom pretty badly. While they were screaming in the living room, I remember being held by my sister and comforted. She was 6 years older and always looked out for me. They finally divorced when I was 4 so these are the only memories I have of my parent's marriage.

:grouphug: i'm so sorry for you and your sister. i hope things got better.

My earliest memory is from a few weeks before I turned 2yo.

My brother and I were throwing pillows down the stairs and with one throw, I fell down hard tile stairs. I remember looking at my brother and throwing the pillow. I remember I was BLIND right after the fall. I could see nothing but pitch black.

I was standing next to my mother telling her that I can't see (or I thought I was telling her!) and I could hear all my aunts and uncles talking and laughing and mostly I remember my mom talking, and the smell of coffee. I remember I kept pulling on her arm trying to tell her I couldn't see anything. I can still "hear" the chatter in my mind.

I did eventually get my sight back, probably shortly after but I don't remember when. It is my earliest memory and it is still so vivid to me.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

About 4 or 5. In Ocean City, MD with my family and grandparents. I got sucked under the water by a huge wave and my grandfather (PopPop) reached under the water and pulled me out. He was my hero.

Age 4.5: brother born and Mom calls my grandmother on the phone to say it is a boy. I get on the phone and start crying and told her to take him back b/c I wanted a sister. (Our relationship was doomed from the start!).

I was 2 years 3 months - yes almost to the day. I remember watching all of the coverage of President Kennedy's assassination and funeral. My father said I was glued to the television and I have a couple of picture he took of me that show an intense amount of concentration over the events.

I was 2-ish - maybe a little younger, but definitely not 3. We were living in Rhode Island and were only stationed there 18 months so the timing is pretty defined (Dad was Navy). I was sliding in a park through a slide with a cover - a tunnel. My Dad was there, and he would always catch me at the bottom. It was thrilling to go through the tunnel and not be able to see him or the rest of the world and then "POOF!" there he was, my hero. My parents never believed me that I remembered this until I was 10 and we moved back to the same area, were driving around our old neighborhood, and I gave them turn by turn directions to the park. I don't think I could do it today, but when I was 10 I knew exactly the route between the house and the park.

:grouphug: i'm so sorry for you and your sister. i hope things got better.

That's so sweet. Thank you. Yes, things did get much better after my parents divorced and my sister and I are still incredibly close as we are with our Mom and brother. The memories did get much better.

About 2 and a half - we were still in a house in Maryland so I can date this - got a HUGE doll that was as tall as I was for Christmas (it stood by itself - creepy!). Also remember being in snow in front of the house, with my dad on the front steps watching.

Then have memory of being on a large plane and the stewardess gave me a tiny green flight bag full of jacks and a small ball - a PanAm bag (I still have it). My mom had a tiny baby - my brother - in arms so this was a month before I turned 3 as he was a May baby and we moved across country to California after he was born.

(My mom later complained about how there she was traveling with two toddlers - kid sister and self - and a newborn and the stewardesses IGNORED her until we reached California and my dad come on board to get us - suddenly they stewardesses were all over helping my dad!!!! Can you imagine flying by yourself with three tiny tots like that???!!!)

Oh, and before we moved Dad must have driven us through Washington DC to see the sights as I have memory of seeing the huge Capital building from the car!!! I think it has scaffolding around it - need to check the web and see if it was being renovated then.

I only know that I was 6 months old, because that is how old I was when this happened.

My Dad was one of the head electrical engineers on the construction of the Sears Tower at the time. His crew was in charge of installing the antennas (which he did mostly by himself). Anyway, when I was 6 months old, we got to go on a visit. I remember being in my sling, and going up a partially drywalled stairway. It is a very short yet vivid memory. My brothers, 6 & 7 got to walk over to the edge of the top (WTH were my parents thinking!?) before it was finished.

After that, most of my early memories are from around age 2. I have a lot of junior kindergarten memories, and I was 3 then. they are all strange snippets of a moment... like my grandmother scratching my back while I looked at the light filter through the gangway window, or putting this particular blanket over my head, or random things like that. None of them have any people in them (even though I knew my mother was carrying me, and my grandmother was scratching my back). They are all very solitary, or maybe it is that no one existed but me then... I think it is interesting.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I know exactly how you feel. Except I was the big sister by 17 months. Thank God they separated when I was 4, divorced when I was 5.

I remember a lot of things from probably about age 3 through 5. I remember the kids I played with, our first house, my outdoor playset and playhouse, my Grandfather coming to visit and bringing bags of goodies for myself (then later for my friends, too), my Great-Grandmother and her death, climbing apple and mimosa trees at my Grandma's and being in her kitchen - just bunches of things. Isn't that weird? But it seems to me that much of my time in elementary and high school was just a blur.....

One of my earliest memories was when I was about 2.5 years old. I was on the floor playing with a toy I loved. It was green animal like thing and had a big open mouth and I rolled balls into the mouth. When a ball made it into the mouth, it made a noise and moved. I remember my brother who was 1 yo crying and being afraid of it and my mother took it away and told me that because he was afraid of it I couldn't play with it anymore. I never saw it again.

I also remember being 2.5 yo sitting at the dinner table and my father asked my mother to toss him a roll and she threw it to him and he caught it. I guess that stands out because we would never be allowed to throw food like that.

I also remember being 2.5 yo or so, in bed, and my baby brother was in the crib (we shared a bedroom) and my parents came into the room to show me their costumes for a party they were going to. They were both dressed up as clowns with full face make up. I remember not being sure if I liked it or if I was afraid.

It's a toss up between eating fruit leather while watching Star Wars on TV or watching the Polka Dot Door on TV. I was about 3ish.

Though, one time I looked at a picture from when I was ab 6 months - parents had me sitting on a Native American blanket on a railing on our porch - and had swear I had a momentary flashback to that and being scared of falling. I don't know if that's a true memory or one my brain made up at that time.

I have a similar memory...I was 18 mos. old and had just had eye surgery. Prior to the surgery my eyesight was so bad, I was legally blind. They must have removed my bandages that day and I remember seeing color...but mostly, I remember looking through a line of crib bars and seeing the night nurse sitting in her chair with her feet up on the desk. She was sweetly singing hymns or spiritual songs. I remember feeling so safe after feeling so afraid. My mom told me I loved the night nurse and cried when it was time to leave.

Faithe

I don't know how old I was, just that we lived in Germany. Which means I was younger than 5 (age when we returned to the States).

I remember going to see the re-creation of a WWII bombing with lights. There was a castle that was bombed and then burned. You sat on one side of a river and the castle was on the other side. The whole family remembers this, but I am the only who remembers walking back to the car for something and then returning to our blanket and seeing two women drilling with rifles.

I remember going out to the playground at our apartment complex to watch July 4th fireworks and being to scared to actually watch them. I had a blanket over me the whole time. I was very noise sensitive at that age. I even had the blanket over my head as my dad carried me home.

I remember traveling with friends and going out to eat. As we left the restaurant, the other dad walked as if he were under arrest. There was a parade in town and he was playing off that. Mom doesn't remember him doing that but does say he was the type to do that sort of thing.

There's more too. But those came most easily.