Menu

Do you leave your tree up until epiphany?

Okay, we usually use an artificial tree and put it up the week before Christmas and leave it through Ephiphany (and sometimes Lent :lol:)

This year we have a fresh tree. Smells great, yum. We put it up the week before Christmas and it is still up. I keep it watered and the needles are staying put (except where the cat plays). Is it safe through Jan 6th?

Has anyone here left a fresh tree up that long?

Weather has been very cold and dry, running furnace a lot, warmer today so windows are open. If this makes a difference.

In the past, I have always made it a point to keep the tree up till the 6th of Janujary.

This year, however, we just finished taking the tree down and putting away all the decorations -- we have such a busy week next week with OM, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc that I really needed it down today -- selfish, I know -- but for me, personally, I need to have it down and put away (real or artificial) on 1/1.

We put up our fake tree the day after Thanksgiving and take it down on Christmas afternoon. Isn't that terrible? I just can't take it any longer than that!

Cindy

You last longer than I do. This year I put it up in mid-December and took it down the day after Christmas.

We haven't had a natural tree for the last 5 years, but we did before and it never comes down before Epiphany day. We never put it up before the 10th of December though. It comes down the weekend after Epiphany day. If there was a clash with collection I would write the agency in charge and complain about it for sure. It's a Christmas tree collection and Christmas is not over until Epiphany day, surely they need to know that!

We put up our fake tree the day after Thanksgiving and take it down on Christmas afternoon. Isn't that terrible? I just can't take it any longer than that!

Cindy

It's not terrible -- I totally hear you.

Ours went up (artificial - we could never have a real tree in the house with our dog. :drool5: Read on: when he does his 'business' on a walk, he ALWAYS backs into a shrub or evergreen or some kind of bunching of plants and goes IN the live growing thing. If we had a real tree, he would absolutely back up and go.) December 1 - with just lights. We put the ornaments on about two weeks later -- we were out of town. I wanted it down last weekend but we were so busy with Odyssey of the Mind, I couldn't get to it till today.:)

Well, we used our fake tree again this year, duck tape and all. However, the bottom branches officially died this year and it is headed to the dump tomorrow. Next year, I think we will just get a real tree. So, because it looked so horrible once the presents were gone to hide the "southern engineering," I couldn't stand it any longer.

It depends on what we have going on and on the condition of the tree. We are probably going to take ours down tomorrow, just for the sake of ease, before we get back to school/work next week. We sort of hate to, because it's really still in good shape, but our experience has been that once school starts back with our busy schedules, the days get away from us. I do leave up my creche and other religious pieces longer....

What's Epiphany? Is that when the 3 Sorcerers show up from the East?

Bill

Sort of. In the liturgical calendar it is the last day of the 12 days of Christmas. It commemorates the visitation of the magi and the revelation of God the Son to the Gentiles (adapted very loosely from the wording in Wikipedia :001_smile:).

I don't think all denominations celebrate this date.

In the past, I have always made it a point to keep the tree up till the 6th of Janujary.

This year, however, we just finished taking the tree down and putting away all the decorations -- we have such a busy week next week with OM, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc that I really needed it down today -- selfish, I know -- but for me, personally, I need to have it down and put away (real or artificial) on 1/1.

:grouphug: I don't think it's selfish. I have an artificial tree and I still took mine down and put away all the decorations on the 30th of December. We have a crazy busy January ahead, a baby due in a month or less (and nesting craziness making me anxious about the state of the house already), and I just could not face starting the new year with the decoration clean-up hanging over my head. Couldn't do it!

I refuse to feel bad. The decorations were up from December 1st...we had lots of time to enjoy them.

Actually, we open all of our in-home presents on Epiphany, too. Grandparent presents, etc, are opened on Christmas but we save all the ones to/from kids and me and my dh for Epiphany. (Actually we call it Theophany in a church context or Kings' Day casually).