Menu

Times Tales DVD - coming in January!

blessedmom3

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Can someone who has used Times Tales comment on whether it teaches conceptually at all or if it's just memorization using stories? It seems to me like kids are just memorizing the times tables from stories but I don't want to make a hasty judgment.

Can someone who has used Times Tales comment on whether it teaches conceptually at all or if it's just memorization using stories? It seems to me like kids are just memorizing the times tables from stories but I don't want to make a hasty judgment.

How can you learn multiplication conceptually ? It's better to memorize it IMO (faster too)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
How can you learn multiplication conceptually ? It's better to memorize it IMO (faster too)

The same way you teach the rest of math conceptually. To memorize without understanding the concept is IMHO folly, and will later lead to confusion and frustration. One of my older ds's learned to memorize them (via Horizons) and had no idea what it actually meant until we watched the MUS demo. He was in 5th grade and had gone all that time being able to give accurate answers with zero understanding.

Am I correct in guessing from your response that Times Tales is just memorization?

ETAsk, has anyone who teaches math conceptually used Times Tales? If so, what is your opinion? Is it a good product to use for memorization after the concept is mastered? Thanks!

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Times Tales is not a tool for teaching multiplication; it is a tool for aiding in the memorization of the tables. My dd had no problem with the concept of multiplication, but understanding it did not make her able to proceed through the tables without thought--which will be as necessary to higher math as understanding the concepts will be. Times Tales did help her some, but ultimately it has been practice that has improved her memory of these the most.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Times Tales is not a tool for teaching multiplication; it is a tool for aiding in the memorization of the tables. My dd had no problem with the concept of multiplication, but understanding it did not make her able to proceed through the tables without thought--which will be as necessary to higher math as understanding the concepts will be. Times Tales did help her some, but ultimately it has been practice that has improved her memory of these the most.

Thank you:001_smile:

It doesn't teach it conceptually at all. I used it after my daughter understood multiplication. It is just a nice memory aide.

I'm excited about the dvd. Thanks for sharing. I was going to start Times Tales with my son but will hold off for since he loves stuff like this.

Edited by Daisy

Well , I don't know much about Times Tales and how they teach it other than the great reviews I've been reading. But if by "conceptual" you mean if the child understands what is for ex. 6 x 7 , yes , most kids know it , they still need help to memorize it.

I agree that math is a lot conceptual , but there is some memorization in it as well.