Menu

"Events" of 2010 in YOUR life?

What were the biggest events or moments (good or bad) in your life in 2010?

What are your biggest hopes for 2011?

For me the biggest events were:

-adopting our baby girl (good)

-my husband breaking his neck in a motorcycle accident (not good but grateful as he is still alive)

My hopes for 2011:

-finish my master's in theology degree (April 25!!)

-finalize our daughter's immigration

-other than that I am really hoping for a nice, calm, uneventful year. I know that sounds boring but after all the big changes in my life in the last two years I am ready for a year of little to no change. :D

Biggest Events:

~We went on a family vacation to Mexico.

~Everyone turned a year older.

~We said goodbye to the exchange student who had become a part of our family for a year. We still miss her so much. She will be a part of our lives forever, I think.

~My kids got to be a a small-town Fourth of July parade.

~We got a dog. And a bird.

That's all I have. It has been a wonderful full and relatively uneventful year for us.

Looking forward to more of the same. :)

Cat

Biggest events:

My son was diagnosed with Asperger's.

We moved from a small church to a very large one.

Hopes for 2011:

Continued improvement for ds in areas that he struggles in, along with more family peace and harmony, less stress.

Spiritual growth for us all as we get involved in our new church, read the whole Bible through in 2011, and (hopefully) go on a missions trip at some point in the year.

That I would continue to lose weight and get in good shape (I've been working out and doing WW for three months now).

Wendi

2010:

Ds started college and went to trial for a crime he didn't commit. He was acquitted but that aged me more than any single event in my life so far.

Dd12 got a 3 year merit scholarship to a wonderful private school where she is doing great.

Dd4 started on a medication that hs changed her and our lives by helping to manage her behaviors.

Dh got a much needed new boss.

I am recovering from my back issue. In August I was so bad that I was scheduling for a device to be implanted by my spinal cord to manage the pain...I have been able to, not only put off that procedure, but to go without meds for 2 months. A combination of things led to a huge recovery for me in the month of September. I still have pain but it is manageable now.

2011:

I hope that ds continues to grow into the amazing man he is starting to be.

I hope that dd12 continues to be happy in the school and has a smooth transition into becoming dd13.

I hope that dd4 continues to improve her behaviors and the peace within her continues to grow.

I hope that dh's boss is as great as his reputation and that he stays for a while.

I hope that my back continues to heal, and that I find the time/courage to seriously investigate going back to school.

I hope that our home sells quickly in the spring and that we find our 'forever home'.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

From March to June of 2010:

DH got the promotion he worked so hard for, moved to TX and traveled back and forth to Oregon. We all moved here in June. DH ended up in the hospital near death a week later. I almost converted to a faith that would have put all of us at risk; spiritually and emotionally. Coming to TX proved to be one of the worst business/financial decisions we have ever made (DH mislead by company etc). Moving to TX has changed our family for the better and made us extremely close.

2011:

Starting my Faith journey

Moving back to Oregon

A few good ones are:

I go my bachelor's degree in Psychology in May and started on my master's in counseling 2wks later.

We paid off another credit card

Oldest dd finally started college after being out of highschool for 2 years

The bad ones are:

I had a test of faith a few months back when my life was turned upside down.

My adopted mom and counselor moved to CA after being my counselor for over 8yrs.

The father I grew up with died in a truck accident (I hadn't spoken to him in 5yrs) I didn't go to the funeral.

My hopes for this new year are:

That we can finally sell our home and move to KY where my husband has been living and working for 1.5 yrs.

My son will excel in the airforce once he starts basic training.

I can finally realize the destiny that the Lord has shown me.

2010:

-Fun vacation to the cottage

-Vacation to NJ to see my brother get married--saw NYC for the first time, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, etc.

-Van overheated on the way to NJ, we had it checked out there, they said it was fine, we drove it for 10 days and then all the way back home to MI. 2 days later the car overheated, we had it towed and it ended up costing $2000 in an engine overhaul. Still can't believe we made it all the way home before it gave out.

-DS7 learned how to really read, like big books. I did that! I taught a kid to read.:lol:

-DD5 learned how to read easy reader books.

-DD3 fell out of the van onto her head resulting in our first ambulance ride and ER trip--concussion.

-DS7 had an anaphylactic reaction to a previously safe food, used the epipen for the first time and had our second ER trip.

-Bought a new car and paid cash!!!!!

-DH got cellulitis and spent 5 days in the hospital--3rd ER trip

2011:

-I hope and pray to avoid anymore ER trips.

-Grow closer to God and closer as a family.

-Continue seeing my kids mature and learn and grow and enjoy every moment of it.

-Lose weight and get in better shape.

-Continue to watch the budget and save, save, save so we can afford the Disney vacation we want to take in 2012.

Biggest Events -

** Skin cancer on my leg. PTL it was contained and removed. Big scare.

** DH's furlough for 4 months

** Our pastor resigned after admitting to an affair

Biggest Hopes -

** We'll be able to adopt again

** Our church's problems will be resolved

My cousin was diagnosed with cancer in March, passed away in August. That one overshadows...or puts in perspective...the rest. He was 26yo, a newlywed, and one of the sweetest, kindest, most talented men I've known. "All that's left is the love." are the words he left with me...if you knew him, you would understand the weight of these words.

My sister was married. We spent 2 weeks with family surrounding her wedding. This was the last time I saw my cousin, and it may have been the last time I saw my grandpa in a semi-coherent state of mind. It was very bittersweet. My sister had a beautiful wedding and married a great guy. I am so happy for her!

We moved to a different state for a job in Oct of 2009, and dh resigned in July 2010. He's working a job he hates until he can find something better. Lots of moving and unknowns...ugh...

As a result of the above, we had a horrid time getting med care for my ds7 who has asthma. We had some very stressful days (and nights).

My 7yo and 5yo both have gone from reading very simple things to reading Frog and Toad this year. Woot Woot!!! They both learned to ride bikes w/o training wheels this summer too.

My 4yo is reading CVC words now, and finally ditched the Pull-Ups (the day he turned 4yo:001_huh:).

The kids and I logged many hours reading lots of good books together.

2011:

I hope to spend more time with extended family.

Take more pictures and send them to extended family.

Train my dc in several new habits.

Train ME in several new habits. (which is harder for some reason)

Self-educate with tenacity.

Get off the internet and read and practice my music (see above)

Exercise more (b/c what's a new years list w/o that one:tongue_smilie:)

Biggest Events

22nd Anniversary in March :001_wub:

My "baby" turned 13 :eek:

DD and her friend had been working on a project to raise $30,000 for a much needed therapeutic playground for kids with Autism and other mental and physical illnesses that are in a special school with the mental facilities in town. They started when they were both still 11, and in August of this year the whole amount was raised! They even got $7,000 more than they set out to raise, which was used to add a bit more to the playground. There were many volunteers that came and helped build the playground in one day. The kids had to wait for the cement and things to be set and the bark poured out, but dd and friend were invited to come play with the kids for their first time on the playground! DD and friend loved that! They got a Mayor's Award and a Community Service Award and were interviewed by Seattle's KOMO 4 TV News. All this when they just wanted to take on a Community Service Project!

DS17 ended up with a 3.6 gpa his first year at a Christian Boarding High School, then this school year was voted in as Vice Prez of his Junior Class.

DS19 is getting to live his dream and go to a Christian University in Mexico. He's quite fluent in Spanish now, which I think is cool! At this point he's planning to do all 4 years there. We'll see. Oh--he got all A's, except for his one class in English. The name of that class is: "English"! :D It's a REALLY deep and extensive grammar and obscure terminology though is what he said....

My last child started high school! I'm sad about Homeschooling nearing completion!

We tried out MFW for dd and she loves it and is doing so well with it!

We had a huge storm--snow, and high winds, then power out for 36 hours when it was 18 degrees outside. We had no secondary heat source, so our house got down to 37 degrees INSIDE! :blink:

A Christian kids program asked dd to be on to talk about her community project, so we ended up in Illinois. We started helping out while there, and they asked if I'd be the West Coast person that will help find kids for the program and coordinate dates and times for them. It's a volunteer position, but I think it'll be a good experience!

(Anyone know of kids that are doing amazing things in their communities that would want to share it? I can give you more details if you pm me. It's a neat "speech" opportunity!)

23rd Anniversary! :001_wub:

My oldest turns 20:eek:

I want to go to a Mariner's game with two of my friends. We went to a game with the kids last season and really got into it.....which embarrassed the kids! So we'd like to go with just us 3 so we can be as crazy as we want to! :lol:

I'd love to work on getting a mission trip to somewhere going! Whether we go in 2011 or not doesn't matter, I'd just love to be able to go on one sometime again!

I'm sure there's more, but we will see what the year holds!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Edited by Brindee

Big events:

-Got married

-Got pregnant

-Turned 21

-Wrote a thesis

-Finished and turned in the thesis

-Got an A on the thesis

-Finished my BA!!

Soo this was a pretty big year for me.. :D

2011:

-1st anniversary!

-Baby!

-Being a stay at home mom

-Maybe going back to school, maybe not...who knows?! Basically, a lot of unknowns. We'll see.

Big events:

-Got married

-Got pregnant

-Turned 21

-Wrote a thesis

-Finished and turned in the thesis

-Got an A on the thesis

-Finished my BA!!

Soo this was a pretty big year for me.. :D

2011:

-1st anniversary!

-Baby!

-Being a stay at home mom

-Maybe going back to school, maybe not...who knows?! Basically, a lot of unknowns. We'll see.

Good for you!:hurray: What an exciting year! And what exciting things to come!

This year has been good for us. Dh got a raise, two trips to Jamaica, a week in Gatlinburg, trip to Disneyworld, got two alpacas, grandpa moved to our state, in laws have decided to move here, and everyone has been healthy. I can only hope the same for 2011:). Happy New Year!

- I nearly died from a gangrenous gall bladder.

- We finally got Thing 4's health problems under control.

- We found out DH might have similar health problems as Thing 3.

- I lost my best friend.

- I found this board.

- I began Byzantine chant classes (I love them!).

- We found out Thing 3 has a more aggressive form of liver disease than we realized before.

- We went to Disney.

- I got more serious about classical education.

- We had a white Christmas!

Hopes for 2011:

- No more hospital stays!

- Challenge my kids with things that stretch their abilities.

- Read 52 books.

- Just be able to enjoy life! :D

Hope to read through the entire Bible for the first time.
You may already have a plan, but in case you don't, I thought I'd share what I'm doing.

In 2009 I did a plan a friend of mine set up, but I can't find a copy of it. I found this one though. I like these since it's neat to read different aspects instead of plowing straight through. That's what the other plan did too, and I really enjoyed it!

So here's the link, jic:

http://www.arcamax.com/ttb-yr.html

God bless!

Best:

My kiddos were all happy and healthy- praise God, it doesn't get better than that!!

Worst:

We lost our beloved dog to a car, a Prius no less. DH is still P.O.'d about that fact.

My great aunt and a truly lovely lady was diagnosed with Leukemia and only given a few months to live.

DS tackled me from the side and gave me a really bad sprained knee. I was on crutches for 8 weeks and am still not walking normally.

Despite the bad, I still feel very blessed!

2010:

DS19 recieved an appointment to the Air Force Academy, survived basic training and did very well in his first semester.

DH started a new job wit the same company where he gets to work regular hours and is not on call and got a pay raise as well.

DD9 was finally able to wean off of one of her kidney medications.

I started a Couch to 5K program and discovered that I actually CAN run for 20 minutes without dying!

For 2011:

Hope that we all stay happy and healthy

2010 Highlights and Lowlights:

* dh was unemployed. All year.

* started a new business. Had moderate success with running summer camps.

* ds14 ended up in the hospital for 2 nights. With no health insurance. Bummer.

* my dear, dear grandmother passed onto glory on November 19th. I miss her.

* took our house off the market.

* added more debt due to unemployment and not selling house

* gained about 10 lbs., on TOP of already unhealthy weight

2011 Anticipations:

* First homeschool graduate!

* Aforementioned graduate to enroll in college

* 20th wedding anniversary

* more summer camps as our business grows

* please oh PLEASE let my dh get a job. PLEASE!!!!! :glare:

It was a huge year for us.

March - DS#2 got married

August - grandbaby #5 was born

September - 35th wedding anniversary!

October - DS#1 got married

December - paid off house #2 ( 2nd house we bought which is now rental property)

Hopes for next year - down time.

;)

All I know is, I can't go through in 2011 what I've had to go through in 2010. That's all I know.

At the risk of sounding terribly nosey... I'd love to pray for you and your family especially since you are doing full time missions... do you care to be more specific about your challenges? We are committing to pray specifically for missionaries around the world and you are on our list! :D

Great question.

Big Events:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Finished homeschooling dd13.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Sent dd13 of to school for the first time in 5 years.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Multiple ER visits for dh, mostly for his back, but also for severe food poisoning.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Major, life-altering injury to dh's right arm.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢ Started a co-op.

It was a really hard year. There were lot's if precious moments with my kids, but it was an overall exhausting year.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Health is my biggest wish for our home.

• My mother passed away.
  • We finally got the plans, permit, & loan to do our long planned renovations.
  • Dd moved away to school & began her degree.
  • Ds#1 began polytech.
  • Dh lost his job.
  • Dh's father diagnosed with Alzhimers.
  • NZ had a 7.1 earthquake in September & a mining disaster just recently.

Hopes for 2011

• Health & happiness for friends & family here & overseas.
  • A job for dh or me, soon please.
  • An apprenticeship for ds#1.
  • Ds#2 "goes" to school for the first time since kindy (he begins at the local Boys' Highschool in Feb.)
  • No more big earthquakes, floods, droughts, etc. Some nice boring weather would be just fine with me. ;)

2010:

The good -

Feb - We took a wonderful month long sailing trip down the inter coastal waterway from Daytona Beach to Marathon Key & back

June - We had our first baby

Sept - We got a standard poodle puppy

Oct - husband took a 3 month traveling contract job

Dec - We got a contract on our house

The bad

We sold our boat after the trip to the keys (it was the right time and it needed to be done)

Our 15 yo siberian huskey that we had since the year we got married had to be put down about 2 weeks before my dd was born

For 2011

We hope our house will close at the end of Jan.

We hope dh's next contract job will be one that we can be with him.

We hope to figure out where we really want to call home.

Big events of 2010:

Moving to the East for the first time ever.

Putting PDG into public school.

Rented out our home.

Actually "won" NaNoWriMo.

Hopes for 2011:

Actually visit some of the sights here in DC...not be such a home-body.

That the girls start getting along on a regular basis - that happiness between them is the norm, not the exception.

To get back into my regular Bible study mode.

Not spend so much time up on the WTM boards and computer :tongue_smilie:

Biggest events:

Me and the kids moving in with my husband after being separated for 8 months.

Hope for 2011:

Finally finishing my Baby Steps 2 and 3 (yes, annoyingly, the Dave Ramsey thing - sorry). I am ueber-neurotic about money. :D

Biggest events:

-Putting the three middle dc in school

-Ds 17 leaving his father's and moving in with my father (and all the drama and work that went with that.)

-Getting 9yo on meds for his ADD (what a HUGE difference that has made for him!)

-Losing 52 pounds

Hopes for 2011:

-My last hs holdout goes to school Monday the 3rd

-Dh to find a job that he isn't overqualified for and that he likes (and pays better!)

-I *will* pass the CPA exam!

-Possibly moving back to NC

-DS 17 to go to college

Our lives are really looking up in 2011!

2010 was a sad year.

September: My dad died after 9 months of constant doctor visits, emergency room visits, and hospital stays.

October: A good friend died, leaving behind a 20yo and a 11yo.

November: My son's best friend died -- he was only 21

December: Another friend lost her 16yo in a car accident just 2 days before Christmas and 3 weeks after his birthday.

Some good though: My son took his long wanted trip to India; my oldest daughter got the summer internship she wanted; my middle daughter mad all region choir after trying for 6 years!

My hopes for 2011:

My son gets the new job he wants

My oldest daughter graduates from college and gets the job she wants

My middle daughter does well in college, after graduating in May

My youngest doesn't get lost in the busyness

Biggest events in 2010:

--Good--

*We took my mom, brother, and sister in law with us on vacation (best vacation ever)!

*My leg is completely healed (have been fighting this for *years*).

*I was re-tested for all my blood-clotting issues, and 95% of the tests came back negative...so I don't have most of the things wrong with me that we thought I did.

*Expecting a new baby in June!

*Our marriage is stronger than it ever has been.

*A large personal debt I had was completely forgiven.

--Bad--

*Miscarriage in July

Hopes for 2011:

*Finish finishing the renovations to our house so we can move!

*Have a healthy baby!

*Get rid of all clutter/have a completely organized home!

*Lose weight (should be much easier now that my leg is healed)

*Pay off all consumer debt except mortgage

*Enjoy my kids and homeschooling more - don't be so serious all the time!

2010 was a sad year.

September: My dad died after 9 months of constant doctor visits, emergency room visits, and hospital stays.

October: A good friend died, leaving behind a 20yo and a 11yo.

November: My son's best friend died -- he was only 21

December: Another friend lost her 16yo in a car accident just 2 days before Christmas and 3 weeks after his birthday.

Some good though: My son took his long wanted trip to India; my oldest daughter got the summer internship she wanted; my middle daughter mad all region choir after trying for 6 years!

My hopes for 2011:

My son gets the new job he wants

My oldest daughter graduates from college and gets the job she wants

My middle daughter does well in college, after graduating in May

My youngest doesn't get lost in the busyness

Linda,

:grouphug:

Did they ever find out how your son's friend died?

Both good and bad here, as for everyone--

Ds19 graduated from high school, got a job as a waiter, bought a car, started CC.

Decided not to maintain sobriety. Failed CC and is a bit adrift.

Ds21 finished Freshman Year at VCU with Dean's List grades, and pulled a 4.0 this past semester. Was accepted into the Cinema program. Got a new job for the times he's at home. Still struggling with a forgiveness issue.

Dd finished 4th grade at home, and started public school 5th grade. Did very well grade-wise, made new, nice friends. Started Liturgical Dance and viola, and continues to do well in piano.

Me--lost nearly 10 pounds, became more active, and am starting a new Bible Study at Church after being reprimanded by former clergy several years ago. Started attending prayer on Mondays, and celebrated 25 years of wedded bliss by going to Calif for a week with dh--lovely time had by all.

2011--

Want to finally stop rebelling and lose the darn weight I need to

Hoping for a clear picture of what I should do re homeschooling next year and working

Will be saying goodbye to the dear family I babysit for as they move in April

Praying both dear sons find direction and choose wisely

Praying for a new assistant at church and that she will be theologically sound

Biggest Events for 2010:

1) I found out that some tests that I had done in 2009 (these tests originally said that my cancer had not spread) had been misread. When they were re-read, spots were found on my bones. My dr. said that bone cancer was a possibility. This 'incident' took a total of 5 months of waiting. Found out last month that everthing is okay.

2) Went on a 7,000 km road trip to Ontario to visit my parents. It was just me and the kids.

3) Went on a family vacation to Vancouver, BC. Had a phenomenal time. It was a changing time for our family.

Hopes for 2011:

I just want peace and calm for this year.

In 2010,

~Dh lost his job in Feb, which allowed him to work full time on the business he'd started the Sept. before. It's on it's way to being very successful.

~We finally took our big family vacation to Disney World that we'd been planning for 2 years.

~DD 10, who is dyslexic, is making great strides this year in reading & math and is showing real forward progress.

~DS 9, who is my perfectionist know-it-all, has finally stopped fighting me and has been a pleasure to home school.

~I celebrated 4 years of being smoke free.

In 2011,

~I'd love to see dh's new business grow to the point that it can be our sole source of income.

~We'd love a more natural (and cheaper!) vacation this year--hoping to go to Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, and Yellowstone this fall.

~Looking forward to the kids both being baptized and all of us as a family officially joining our church in a few weeks.

~Our family is reading the whole Bible in a year together.

Happy New Year everyone! :001_smile:

Bad:

- 9 months of nausea/vomiting

- not being able to be the mother I want to be for my kids, because of the nausea/vomiting

Good:

- giving birth to a beautiful baby girl on December 31th :D

Hopes for 2011:

- enjoying my kids

- eating&drinking :lol:

2010:

- Dh *still* unemployed/attempting to build small business - year 4!

- Due to above, we have enjoyed a year of quality family time, with dh taking a larger role in hsing and household responsibilities

- After enduring the stress and conflict of being together nearly 24/7, we have settled into a true equal partnership, are finally beginning to truly understand how to communicate with each other, and have a stronger, deeper relationship for it

- Dh completed his graduate certificate

- Spent a wonderfully relaxing lakeside family vacation with my parents in July

- Dd and ds collided on their bikes in August, resulting in dd breaking both her wrists, spending the rest of the summer in casts

- My niece was born in September, 1st baby of youngest BIL

- Same BIL diagnosed with MS in December

- Our caboose dd was born in November!

- Dh and ds witnessed the death of a fellow soccer player on the field, same age as dh; life-changing reality check for both of them

2011:

- We all remain healthy and strong in our faith

- Dh finds a source of income that does not make him miserable

- Dh and I will maintain our deep connection, even if a new job ends up taking him away for days at a time

- I will manage to combine caring for a new baby and hsing (a feat that remains elusive at the moment!)

- I will manage to combine caring for a new baby and my afterschool tutoring sessions

- I will succeed in both of the above, and still find time to sleep!

Wishing everyone a blessed 2011!

Well I think they did and I think S knows but no one is really saying, except S told me it was not suicide. Thanks for remembering this. I really am tired of going to funerals of such young men. I know this happens, but it seems to be happening so close to home these last few months.

Linda

Events 2010:

January - Pulled DD out of ps and officially started homeschooling

March - DH got his "dream job" in Ohio

April - DH moved 4 states away - Kids and I stayed home to sell the house and tie up loose ends

May - Moved to Ohio

September - Pregnant with #3 and started homeschooling both kids

Quiet Fall and first part of Winter...

Hopes 2011:

Home educate with more joy and less angst

Complete a healthy pregnancy and meet our baby in June

Engage more fully with our church or find one that suits us better

Commit to developing some new, true friendships