Menu

Acoustic guitar pickguard question

Let's preface this by stating that I'm completely guitar-ignorant. Completely. 100%. Which is why I should have kept my hands off the guitar in the first place...

My ex-h and I bought DD this guitar in pink for Christmas. She thinks it's wonderful! On the pretty white pickguard there is a non-removable sticker that clearly states, "Remove and Discard this pickguard cover." Why?? Well, I don't know, I've never played a guitar. So I pulled on the pickguard. :glare:

Now I have a pickguard that no longer sticks to the guitar, a large sticky spot on the guitar where the pickguard should be, a daughter who is sad cause her mommy pulled off the pretty white pickguard, and soon an ex-h who will probably not be too pleased that I ruined the guitar....

Help????? :001_unsure: It's a smaller than normal guitar. Will any old generic pickguard be the right size? How can I know? Where should I buy one? It needs to be either plain white like the original one or something prettier (like the pretty one on this exact same pink guitar here.

Please, please, if you know about guitars, help me dig myself out of this hole! Why did it say to remove the cover?! :banghead:

Do you still have the pick guard to reattach? Call or take it by a luthier. You can contact some instrument repair locations, particularly ones found associated with guitar stores. I know smaller guitars are hard to get pick guards to fit so try to get that one back on if you can. We have a little Martin and we never found one, but were told we could find someone handy at such things and have one "carved" to fit.

I wonder if there was one of those clear plastic clingy covers on the guard. . . and you were supposed to peel that off the guard itself, leaving the plastic guard?

A guitar shop can easily either reattach the guard you removed (if it is intact), clean off the sticky stuff, or attach a new guard.

Just stop by a shop and beg help. They'll fix you right up!

If you want to try fixing it yourself, try Goo Be Gone, it's one of my favorite discoveries.

FWIW, the guard will protect the finish from the dings of the pick. That's the purpose (and why you don't see them on classical guitars which are played with fingers, not picks.)

HTH

Yes, it's just a $40 guitar:/ There's no clear cover on the guard. Just that silly sticker that also doesn't come off. If I get the pickguard back on, I still need to get the sticker off! The pickguard is still intact, other than a slight bend in the middle from pulling it off (nothing much though... for a 6-year-old's-$40-guitar purposes!).

Still smacking myself for pulling it off to begin with. It clearly was not gonna come off without leaving residue, yet I kept pulling. I'm gonna blame the cold I've had all week, and the coughing, and all the fluid whooshing in my ears.... there just was NOT thinking going on here. My poor daughter was so sad. I've just GOT to fix this...

I guess I'll go get some Goo Gone tomorrow. I've looked and looked online and can't find anything.

With those instuctions and a sticker that wouldn't come off, I'd call Musician's Friend and tell them the pickguard came off instead of the sticker. They'll likely have you send it back and send a replacement. They've always been good when we've had problems with something.

If it's really just a child's guitar that's mainly just for fun, would it be terrible of me to suggest you try to reshape the guard and use hot glue or whatever is around the house? I think I could see myself doing something like that. :001_unsure:

Of course, one goes with my crazy ideas at their own risk. I hold no responsibility. :tongue_smilie:

Goo Gone, or Goof Off, are solvents. They will remove the old adhesive from the back of the pickguard, and from the guitar. Be careful not to let it get on the rest of the guitar, as it may or may not damage the finish. These products will also remove the sticker adhesive, after you peel away the paper on top.

Then, get a clear glue, perhaps an epoxy or compound cement, to glue the guard back on. You don't want to use a brown glue, as it might show through the white pickguard. You'll probably need a clamp or two, to hold the guard in place while the adhesive sets. Follow the instructions on the adhesive.