Menu

Has anyone held a homeschooled kid back a year?

Dd9 was chomping at the bit to start school at an early age. She started first grade work at age 5 and did great for the first couple of years. But last year and this year have been tougher for her. What I mean, we call her a 4th grader this year, but I really think she's doing 3rd/4th grade work. 5th grade is when the work assigned really jumps up a notch. I don't think she will be ready to do it.

I'd like to hold her back with 4th grade work to really solidify it. The thing is, she's been telling everyone all along that she's was 1st grade (when she started) and now this year that she's in 4th grade. Do I just have her tell everyone next year that she's in 4th grade (and explain that we're doing it a second year if they even notice - which most people won't)?

If I do a second year at this grade, I won't have her do the same books over again. . . what should I do? I'm thinking lots more drill in math because that's a really weak spot (ie. she doesn't even have her addition facts down cold). Would things like the ClueFinders DVDs be appropriate?

ummm I didn't homeschool back, per se, I kinda idled until he was ready to move forward.

With another I did jump back in one area to solidify some basic areas more-kind of as a patch job, but never took them back a grade.

What I did find is that when I was done idling or had mastered some of those basics, they *exploded* forward. But the one I idled-there was no way to push him forward, he just wasn't mature enough yet. He shot off when he was ready.

Kind of. My 5th grade DD is not what I would call a strong 5th grader and have spoken with DH about maybe taking a year longer for her to finish. It isn't really a big deal if by 11th grade she is doing CC courses anyway, right? I figure that we don't need to finish with things the way PS does them. I really like that feeling of freedom! IF they can move ahead sooner then great, but if they are a bit behind then that's okay too.

We put our DD11 in school this year after homeschooling her for three years and we had her placed in a combo 4th-5th grade class as she really wasn't ready for 5th grade work. In the combo class, she doesn't feel behind even though she is somewhat delayed right now. We did the same sort of thing the whole time we had her at home, and just explained to her that she was working across a couple of grade levels since mastery mattered...not your technical grade level. So far, she's been good with it all.

Somewhere between 6th and 7th grade we realigned dd's grade to match her public school age grade. She has a September birthday, and due to the way the age groups worked out at church, we assigned her to the grade above what she would be at public school. She was only a few months younger than the youngest of the other kids. She was also ready to begin K and 1st grade work. As she matured, however, it became clear she would do better assigned to the grade she would be in had she gone to school. So we did just that. We changed churches at the same time, so that made the change much easier.

Also consider how being a very young high school grad might affect her, if you don't match her with her age mates.

Do you have to declare a grade level? My older two kids (9 1/2 and 8) are working at the same level. We don't really assign a grade to it and aren't required to. We just work at their level, whatever that may be.

She notices the grades on her books.

I think the suggestion two pp's had (combined) of having a transition year but calling it 4th/5th might work well for her.

I wasn't worried about an early high school graduation. I started college at 17 and didn't find it a problem. But then I didn't run into developmental problems with the work like she seems to be having.

Do you have to declare a grade level? My older two kids (9 1/2 and 8) are working at the same level. We don't really assign a grade to it and aren't required to. We just work at their level, whatever that may be.

:iagree:

We've always had our kids answer questioning outsiders with their 'age-appropriate' grade, since the 'accurate' answer would be so complicated.

"Hold back" has such a negative connotation (unfairly IMHO) It sounds like it's important to her, and it'd be a shame if she took it like she was failing...maybe you can 'promote' her, and then call the reviewing (with different curricula - I like that idea!) 'broadening' or more in-depth work on existing topics...?

You could just be honest with her and tell her that you want her to wait before moving on to the next grade so that it won't be too hard for her and end up being frustrating/not fun for her.

Tell her she can tell people that you've decided to stretch 4th grade out over two years since she was really young when she started and that she's still doing fourth grade work. Or something like that.

What I mean, we call her a 4th grader this year, but I really think she's doing 3rd/4th grade work.

Do I just have her tell everyone next year that she's in 4th grade (and explain that we're doing it a second year if they even notice - which most people won't)?

I would just tell anyone who asks that she's in 5th grade. No need to embarrass her by letting people know she's re-doing 4th grade. Realistically, you might not even have to let her know she's repeating the grade, particularly if you'll be using different materials, anyway.

What did you use this year, Jean? I know that there can be huge variations in the difficulty levels of different programs, so maybe you could choose an "easier" 5th grade program for your dd that would allow her to advance to the next grade, but that wouldn't be as challenging for her.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

In math, I redid a year with my oldest. He just didn't seem to get it and rather than move on and get more confused, I started from the beginning of the book again. This ds is ahead in math to begin with though and got stuck on some concepts. This was 2 years ago (3rd grade) and the curriculum was Singapore PM 5.

I would feel free to "do over" anything that is giving her a hard time. Let her move ahead with subjects that are going smoothly. I would even let her use the same book. I did. I just bought the workbook again and started at the beginning.

HTH

I would just tell anyone who asks that she's in 5th grade. No need to embarrass her by letting people know she's re-doing 4th grade. Realistically, you might not even have to let her know she's repeating the grade, particularly if you'll be using different materials, anyway.

What did you use this year, Jean? I know that there can be huge variations in the difficulty levels of different programs, so maybe you could choose an "easier" 5th grade program for your dd that would allow her to advance to the next grade, but that wouldn't be as challenging for her.

Cat

Math - Singapore gr. 4 - we had to take a month off because she hit a brick wall with fractions. She's doing the work, but is having to rely on manipulatives still while the material clearly expects that she would be beyond that.

History - my own - mostly stuff from the library/narrations

Latin - Prima Latina (this is giving her English grammar too).

Phonics/Reading comprehension - Spectrum gr. 3 and gr. 4

Spelling - Spellwell B & C

Science - was Prentice-Hall which was a huge mistake because I accidentally got her a jr. high book - now we're doing stuff from the library

I guess, looking at this, the main things we need to cement are math, phonics, reading comprehension, narration/dictation skills, spelling.

History, Latin and Science are fine - and are mostly read-aloud / narration/ project type things. 5th grade we usually move into more textbook/individual writing work which she is not ready for. So I need to transition her so that she would be ready for it.

It's very common for traditionally schooled children in my area to do a "transition" or "bridge" year, especially those who are young for their grades (CA has a December cutoff) and boys. It's so common in certain grades (K & 1, 8 & 9) that many schools offer a special class specifically for them. It's not exactly repeating a grade but rather giving them a little more time to mature before they're thrown into the next level with much higher academic expectations.

It's very common for traditionally schooled children in my area to do a "transition" or "bridge" year, especially those who are young for their grades (CA has a December cutoff) and boys. It's so common in certain grades (K & 1, 8 & 9) that many schools offer a special class specifically for them. It's not exactly repeating a grade but rather giving them a little more time to mature before they're thrown into the next level with much higher academic expectations.

That's very interesting. I'd never heard of that until you mentioned it.

Cat

Don't do it. She'll be fine.

This is why I so strongly recommend that people use the grade-level designation for the grade their dc would be in if they were in school, not based on what they're doing academically. I know that it often works out one way or the other (keeping the dc at a younger grade level or an older one), but still, when doing a grade ahead or behind (on paper) doesn't work out, it can be a real problem in many ways.

So my subsequent recommendation is that you keep her, on paper, at the grade level you've established already. She'll be fine.

You know this is so smart! My DD is July b-day and the cutoff is Sept 30th. She is young for her grade and it shows.

She notices the grades on her books.

I think the suggestion two pp's had (combined) of having a transition year but calling it 4th/5th might work well for her.

I wasn't worried about an early high school graduation. I started college at 17 and didn't find it a problem. But then I didn't run into developmental problems with the work like she seems to be having.

Kids speed up and slow down at different points developmentally. Very few go full steam ahead without stopping straight through 12 levels. I don't worry too much about the grade #....I make sure the work is challenging at each level. if the number bathers her...she can move to the next one whenever the one she is on is finished. How this has worked with my dd is she can move up a level mid-year no problem. On her school records, her "grade" is her age level. She will be able to move ahead or stay at a level for as long as she needs to as long as she is working hard.

This year, she is in level 700 in Reading and LA (CLE) but in Level 600 math. She is doing a 7th grade Science book, and SOTW 4 using 6th grade outline and extra reading books....so, she is 6th/7th grade level, 7th on her school paperwork. When she finishes what I require for High School, we will be finished...whether it takes her 3, 4 or 5 years....

Faithe

Ambleside Online also offers 2 interim years...one between year 3 & 4 and one between year 6 & 7. Our schools here offer an interim year between K and Grade 1....so if your dd needs a year to bone up on some things...take it and don't worry about it, but I would just keep her grade progressing 1 year at a time on paperwork.

Faithe

This is why I so strongly recommend that people use the grade-level designation for the grade their dc would be in if they were in school, not based on what they're doing academically.

Except that if you've got a kid with a birthday near the cutoff, it may not be at all clear which grade they should be in. And just because he or she was ready to start on the young side back in K doesn't necessarily mean down the road there won't be an issue.

Except that if you've got a kid with a birthday near the cutoff, it may not be at all clear which grade they should be in. And just because he or she was ready to start on the young side back in K doesn't necessarily mean down the road there won't be an issue.

:iagree:completely! Last year, in what could have been his K year (late July b-day), ds was so wiggly and was ready to go in math but not at all in phonics or writing. He had so many emotional issues and definitely did not seem ready for 1st grade. So, we re-did K this year to allow him to mature, but after this fall, he has exploded up to solidly 1st grade work. Ultimately, I think his placement will still be the best peer-wise, but sometimes it is not at all clear with the border ones!

:iagree:Our "transition year" will be between 6 & 7. He started having some maturity issues in 5th, and they are really glaring now. My son was born 8/27, before a 9/15 cut-off. Moreover, had he been in public K, they wouldn't have allowed him to start (not due to academics...like math & reading, but due to social/sitting/emotional and writing issues I could accomodate at home).

Dd9 was chomping at the bit to start school at an early age. She started first grade work at age 5 and did great for the first couple of years. But last year and this year have been tougher for her. What I mean, we call her a 4th grader this year, but I really think she's doing 3rd/4th grade work. 5th grade is when the work assigned really jumps up a notch. I don't think she will be ready to do it.

I'd like to hold her back with 4th grade work to really solidify it. The thing is, she's been telling everyone all along that she's was 1st grade (when she started) and now this year that she's in 4th grade. Do I just have her tell everyone next year that she's in 4th grade (and explain that we're doing it a second year if they even notice - which most people won't)?

If I do a second year at this grade, I won't have her do the same books over again. . . what should I do? I'm thinking lots more drill in math because that's a really weak spot (ie. she doesn't even have her addition facts down cold). Would things like the ClueFinders DVDs be appropriate?

My son really struggled for a couple of years. We have to file each year so on paper I held him back and just ordered a new,different curriculum. Even though he is working below his same aged peers academically I allow him to tell people that he is in the age related grade, and with outside activities he is with kids his age. So, he says he is in the 5th grade but I am giving him course work below that.

My son hit his hard year from undiagnosed learning disabilities.

I've decided - dd9 (who just turned 9 this month) will be doing a transition year next year before entering 5th the following year. I'm kind of excited about being able to focus curriculum specifically on those things she needs to solidify or catch up on.

This is a great plan...and if it is any consolation, my ds is turning 9 in May and is in 3rd grade this year...and struggling at 3rd grade. I think he will be fine for 4th next year...but definitely not 5th or 6th. Your dd still sounds well ahead.

Good luck Jean....the beauty of Homeschooling is meeting them where they are at and guiding them on to higher levels.

Enjoy and Happy New Year!!!

Faithe

This is a great plan...and if it is any consolation, my ds is turning 9 in May and is in 3rd grade this year...and struggling at 3rd grade. I think he will be fine for 4th next year...but definitely not 5th or 6th. Your dd still sounds well ahead.

Good luck Jean....the beauty of Homeschooling is meeting them where they are at and guiding them on to higher levels.

Enjoy and Happy New Year!!!

Faithe

You are right. I had planned all my curriculum with ds13 in mind, since he of course hit all the grades first. But they are such different learners!

:iagree: My dd is a July birthday and started public school right when she turned 5. It was fine then. Now in 5th grade, I think she should be in 4th. She's only really doing 4th grade work in math (MM4) but maturity wise, I wish she was in 4th. Unfortunately for me, she was from school and is pretty grade-centric. It would be hard for her with friends she still has to not keep up. We are in Classical Conversations and I know that after next year (2011-2012) she would technically be ready for Challenge level, but I am not sure I want to do that. I am thinking that I will keep her and make that kind of a transition year. She will still be allowed to call it 7th grade to keep up with her friends (if she still has those friends who care) but I will know that I am only moving her forward as she's ready. That way she can keep up academically at whatever pace I find appropriate at home.

I've decided - dd9 (who just turned 9 this month) will be doing a transition year next year before entering 5th the following year. I'm kind of excited about being able to focus curriculum specifically on those things she needs to solidify or catch up on.
Sounds like a great decision!!

How is she doing socially/maturity wise? If she fits in very well with the 4th graders now, then just call her 5th grade next year but coinue to teach at her level.

If though, she is also struggling a bit socially/maturity wise as well and really does better with 3rd grade age kids, then do a "transition" year and put her back a year for outside stuff as well.

This is tough as you have already called her 4th grade. My sister in law is a teacher and she said you can almost always pick out the youngest kids in the class due to maturity issues, not always academics and she find that kids who do the best are a bit on the older side for their grades (she teaches in a K-8 charter school)

You could just be honest with her and tell her that you want her to wait before moving on to the next grade so that it won't be too hard for her and end up being frustrating/not fun for her.

Tell her she can tell people that you've decided to stretch 4th grade out over two years since she was really young when she started and that she's still doing fourth grade work. Or something like that.

I agree with being honest with her. We held ds back in 5th grade. I had been in the hospital the previous year and he went to public school. When he started ps again for 5th grade it was a disaster. I pulled him out of ps and brought him home again but we redid his 5th grade year. I told him why I was doing it and although he hated it he lived through it.

Now, he is in public highschool and in the 10th grade, he is much more mature and doing well. I don't regret having him do over 5th grade at all.

How is she doing socially/maturity wise?

I'm not quite sure how to answer that. In our neighborhood, she's the oldest girl by a number of years, so she seem so mature!

In gymnastics, she seems to fit right in with her peers - both slightly younger, her same age, and slightly older. But gymnastics is a kinesthetic activity and dd9l is highly kinesthetic.

We have tiny church so she only has much younger or much older kids. She seems to do fine with them but of course there is accommodation by her toward the youngers and accommodation toward her by the olders. . .

We're homeschooling. The only purpose grade levels have for us is that our dc will be in social groups with dc about the same age. So, yes, if our dc's bdays are before the cut-off, even if it's just the day before, they get to be that grade. If they miss the cut-off, they wait another year to be that grade.

I have seen many problems with hsers being creative with their dc's grade levels than otherwise, as well as conversations like this one, where the parents started the grade-level labels early as well as late, and are just regretting that decision and trying to figure out how to fix it. This was true during the 16 years I owned/administered an umbrella school, and it's been true the last I-don't-know-how-many-years I've been on the Internet. It is why I am so adamant about it: if your dc is 6 by Dec.2/Sept.1/Oct.1/whatever, then he is in first grade (or kindergarten, if someone wants to start the whole grade-level thing a year early and the dc is 5 by the cut-off). The next year he's "in" second grade, and so on.

Of course, no one is obligated to agree with me.:D

We always called books that had the grade level on it just a level: "You are in level 4 for grammar, level 6 for reading, level 5 for math....," so they just figured everyone did different levels--when you have mastered one level, you move to the next level. By the time they got older and realized their friends were in certain grades, and also understood that the level on the books meant a grade, they were already used to being on different levels, and it didn't bother them to be two levels "behind". They understood that they were working where they needed to to be able to grasp and really learn the things they needed to learn, and had no problem telling people who asked what grade they were in, "It's hard to say, since I'm on different levels depending on the subject" or something like that.

Last year, however, dd decided she wanted to be in 9th grade this year. So she doubled her efforts and was able to finish the 8th grade materials by mid-July. I was NOT pushing her, in fact I told her that I didn't feel it was necessary, so I would NOT push her, but if she worked hard I would support her efforts! This is our 13th year of homeschooling, but the first year that my child is only on 1 grade level! She's doing all 9th grade level materials, which seems kind of strange to her and me! :D

DS17 started out slow, then spurted ahead, then slowed, then hit a wall, then moved forward at a good pace. His Birthday is in September, but his maturity level is lower than many of his age-level. When he spurted ahead he was doing work 1-3 grades ahead in math and other areas, but at or below grade level in grammar and writing. It would have been hard to put him at a specific grade level, though he started telling kids at a homeschool co-op that he was in the higher grade. When he hit the wall and almost stopped for awhile, we had to adjust backward some. At first he was frustrated, but then it was almost a relief, and he started doing better in his work. When he decided to go to a Christian Boarding school, he picked the lower grade (10th), even though he had been doing 11th grade work at home. That was fine with us, especially since, maturity-wise, we felt he'd do better in the lower grade.

Anyway, I support you in your decision to have a year where you work on what she's missing or doesn't have mastered yet! I think that will benefit her immensely! When homeschooling, we get to make that choice, which benefits our children immensely! Best wishes!