Menu

Would you eat this? Veggie Burger content

I was visiting my Mom and bought some Morningstar Black Bean burgers at Costco. My stepdad helped unload and put my burgers in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. Can these be refrozen? Can they be eaten?

Would love to hear your thoughts. They're currently still in the refrigerator.

While I've heard these are tasty, we would never eat these because the very first ingredient is Soy Protein Concentrate, which would give my husband a massive headache because it contains processed free glutamic acid (the bad stuff in MSG). Other ingredients in these burgers that contain MSG are Calcium Caseinate, Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, and Natural Flavors.

------------

Here's where I got the list of ingredients:

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/product_detail.aspx?id=345

TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION), COOKED BLACK BEANS (BLACK BEANS, WATER), COOKED BROWN RICE (WATER, BROWN RICE), ONION, CORN OIL, EGG WHITES, DICED TOMATOES, ROASTED CORN, WHOLE KERNEL CORN, BULGUR, MILD GREEN CHILI PEPPERS, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CALCIUM CASEINATE, CORNSTARCH, ONION POWDER, SPICES, TOMATO JUICE, TOMATO (DRIED), DEXTROSE, YEAST EXTRACT, GARLIC POWDER, SALT, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN GLUTEN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, PAPRIKA FOR COLOR, SOY SAUCE (SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), JALAPEÑO PEPPER, CITRIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, DISODIUM INOSINATE, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, LEMON OIL, LACTIC ACID.

----------------

Run away!

GardenMom

While I've heard these are tasty, we would never eat these because the very first ingredient is Soy Protein Concentrate, which would give my husband a massive headache because it contains processed free glutamic acid (the bad stuff in MSG). Other ingredients in these burgers that contain MSG are Calcium Caseinate, Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, and Natural Flavors.

------------

Here's where I got the list of ingredients:

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/product_detail.aspx?id=345

TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION), COOKED BLACK BEANS (BLACK BEANS, WATER), COOKED BROWN RICE (WATER, BROWN RICE), ONION, CORN OIL, EGG WHITES, DICED TOMATOES, ROASTED CORN, WHOLE KERNEL CORN, BULGUR, MILD GREEN CHILI PEPPERS, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CALCIUM CASEINATE, CORNSTARCH, ONION POWDER, SPICES, TOMATO JUICE, TOMATO (DRIED), DEXTROSE, YEAST EXTRACT, GARLIC POWDER, SALT, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN GLUTEN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, PAPRIKA FOR COLOR, SOY SAUCE (SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), JALAPEÑO PEPPER, CITRIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, DISODIUM INOSINATE, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, LEMON OIL, LACTIC ACID.

----------------

Run away!

GardenMom

They are not an ideal food-being heavily processed, and soy is highly allergenic. I certainly don't advocate building your diet around them. However, as an occasional treat, I don't think they are terrible, assuming of course that you can tolerate soy protein.

I don't think veggie burgers are any more horrendous than anything else you might find in the freezer case or on the inner isles of your local supermarket.

Good thing they are in my fridge. :D

I am always wondered why all these veggie products gave me a migraine. I can't do MSG either. :( didn't know about all the hidden MSG..

They are not an ideal food-being heavily processed, and soy is highly allergenic. I certainly don't advocate building your diet around them. However, as an occasional treat, I don't think they are terrible, assuming of course that you can tolerate soy protein.

I don't think veggie burgers are any more horrendous than anything else you might find in the freezer case or on the inner isles of your local supermarket.

I agree that most of processed foods are horrendous, and I believe that MSG is altogether evil. We have had many holidays and other special occasions marred by the massive headaches dh got as a result of me serving him "treat" or convenience foods. MSG is a neurotoxin, whether it gives you headaches or not. Dh feels poisoned when he consumes it.

Good thing they are in my fridge. :D

I agree, although I really feel it's too bad that it's in the food supply. I encourage you to consider what's on the sites below.

I am always wondered why all these veggie products gave me a migraine. I can't do MSG either. :( didn't know about all the hidden MSG..

I'm so sorry you have had migranes! I wrote my post for YOU and your family. I seriously doubted that what I wrote would affect those who ate things containing hidden MSG and didn't feel affected by it. Here are some sites for you:

msgmyth.com

truthinlabeling.org

It really irks me that many products marketed as "healthy" or that even say "MSG free" contain processed free glutamic acid. I believe that a lot of folks who have unexplained migranes get sick from it.

If you look through your food stores you will probably find many things that could give you a headache, depending on your threshold. We have had to be very diligent about eliminating these hidden sources, and now dh rarely gets a headache. It's been wonderful!

You made my day, Emilylou.

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden