Menu

Grammar-stage physics spine?

K&Rs Mom

I have asked this a few times, because RSO physics is not out yet (and no hint when), but I haven't found just what I want

So far, I'm planning on 6 months of Physics Experiments for Children by Muriel Mandell, Janice VanCleaves Physics for Every Kid. Antonella Meiani's series "experimenting with science" has some chem and physics projects with various substances. E.g. "Water" has surface tension, as well as force, and some chem things like evaporation. The Meiani books have more drawings and images, and are therefore, I'm hoping, more likely to get kiddo to do some things without as much hand-holding.

http://www.amazon.com/Antonella-Meiani/e/B001KI5768

Some are just a penny plus shipping

I have planned to do 6 month chem, then 6 month physics, and repeating for 4th gr, with more memorization and rigor. Some optimistic part of me is hoping RSO physics will be out by Feb '12. :001_smile:

:lurk5:

Edited by kalanamak

Used a ton.

Noeo: love the books, but there is too much to cover and I don't want to spend that long on physics alone. The experiments were good, not great.

RS4K: Love the text, but the experiments were fair and the notebook was too much writing for young students

RS4K Pre-level: better and probably the best choice for early grammar stage, but I always feel like there's not quite enough here.

Elemental Science: Starting soon b/c it looks like the balance I'm looking for. Easy reading, plenty of experiments, flexible schedule. I also like the inclusion of biographies and how the entire program is in "units" so you can skip what you'd like.

Most important thing, imho, are the experiments. Particularly b/c you'll come back around to physics again in middle school.

SWB recommends Physics Experiments for Children and I think it's a decent spine.

I don't know why, but I've been avoiding even considering this one, probably because of its age. Maybe I'd better take another look. :blush:

I'm thinking about Elemental, and Explorations, and RS4K. RS4K says it's only a half-year course, but I guess I'll add to whatever we use. I was thinking about Physics For Every Kid, and am waiting for it to arrive on interlibrary loan, but I was kind of disappointed in Chem for Every Kid - it seemed way too basic and the experiments will sometimes take longer to write about than to do.

I've bought myself some more time, though - we're going to take 2 months between Chem & Physics to do the Early School Science Basics class by Connect The Thoughts, which is just about scientific method and observing carefully. So I don't need to make a decision until probably April. :001_smile:

I don't know why, but I've been avoiding even considering this one, probably because of its age. Maybe I'd better take another look. :blush:

I was thinking about Physics For Every Kid, and am waiting for it to arrive on interlibrary loan, but I was kind of disappointed in Chem for Every Kid - it seemed way too basic and the experiments will sometimes take longer to write about than to do.

We didn't do write-ups with J vC's Chem book, but we did about 10 experiments in a pop, and repeated the fun ones whenever kiddo asked. They were so simple, generally, they were easy to repeat. I'd reiterate what was going on until kiddo had the understand to tell Papa all about it.

Mandell's are similar to J vC. I intend to do both because we clip through so many, and I wait for my son to crow "That's like the other one we did!"

But, as I said earlier, this is our "discovery" year for chem and physics. Next year will be more writing and quantifying.

You can get the Physics Experiments for Children, the spine for Elemental for free online. The page numbers are different, but it only took me about 15 min (tops) to print and insert w/ the ES manual. I used Swagbucks to order (for free) the other 2 books and I had a very inexpensive physics plan :)

Wow, thanks! I've heard good things about swagbucks.

• 4 weeks later...
You can get the Physics Experiments for Children, the spine for Elemental for free online. The page numbers are different, but it only took me about 15 min (tops) to print and insert w/ the ES manual. I used Swagbucks to order (for free) the other 2 books and I had a very inexpensive physics plan :)

I was just looking at this book on Amazon, but FREE is SOOOO much better!

thanks!