Menu

OT: Read a couple books recommended here and want more recommendations :)

Not sure if this is appropriate (sorry!) but I read two books that were recommended in the "best books of 2010" and now I'd love more books just like them :)

1. The Glass Castle, a memoir, Jeannette Wells - loved it!

2. Outliers - halfway through it and really love it

Any others that I might like along those lines?

I loved loved The Glass Castle.

I recently have read-

Bringing down the house (Ben Mezrich)

Laughing without an Accent and Funny in Farsi (Firoozeh Dumas)

Mennonite in Little Black Dress (Rhoda Janzen)

The Kids are all right (Dan Welch)

Half Broke Horses (Jeannette Walls)

I'm Down (Mishna Wolff)

I loved The Glass Castle too!

Along the same path of wild memoirs---

The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer

A Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs - I don't know if I've ever laughed that hard while reading a book in my life.

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs - FYI, the writer is sexually abused in the book so if you're sensitive about that topic you may want to skip it. Still a good read.

Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman or Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - both are about the author's self discovery process while traveling around the world.

Left To Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza---what an unbelievable story!

I haven't read The Outliers. Perhaps I shall hop on Amazon right now to read some reviews. :001_smile:

Thank you so much! I don't read nearly as much as many of you, probably because I have a hard time moving on from a book that I really like. It sticks with me for a while before I'm able to move on! I'll look your recommendations up on Amazon and see what my library has!

I think I'm just fascinated by the observations made of how people become successful and who they are! I don't like Outliers NEARLY as much as I like The Glass Castle. I am much more a non-fiction reader though. I have a harder time reading fiction, but I did love The Help. One book I read a good while ago and loved (because I love sharing this one) was Enslaved by Ducks, by Bob Tarte (plus his follow-up book Fowl Weather). I am not a huge animal person, but I found the book really funny!

The Glass Castle, a memoir, Jeannette Wells - loved it!

It's already been mentioned, but if you liked this one, definitely check out her other book, Half Broke Horses.

Some others that are not the same but may appeal:

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

City of Thieves by David Benioff

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

The Year of Living Biblically by A. J. Jacobs

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Just a warning-I hated Running with Scissors on all sorts of levels. trite, self-indulgent and disturbing (and not just because of the sexual abuse) are the 3 best words I could use to describe it. It tried way too hard to be something it was not. Just another POV on that particular book.

I will try to list some of the books I have enjoyed the last couple of years (aside from those already mentioned) later. :)

The Help was excellent.

The best book I've read in years is Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived

It is about an elephant, but really....it's about relationships more than anything. It's a love story (not romantic love, but deep, connected love), it's an adventure, it's beautifully written! Absolutely fantastic.

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs - FYI, the writer is sexually abused in the book so if you're sensitive about that topic you may want to skip it. Still a good read.

And he does drugs, and has no parental supervision or care, and makes poor choices, describes his pretty deviant sex life (oh, sorry, "homosexual coming of age"), abuse and it's totally depressing. Not great, IMO. (And I'm cautious about the claims made in "memoirs" like this anymore, too.)

I've loved several of the books already mentioned, and am going to look into others that I have not yet read.

These have been some of my favorites.

The Kite Runner

then wait about 6 months (or else it's Afghanistan overkill) before reading his even better book

Thousand Splendid Suns - this one, by far, is amongst one of the best books I have ever read

The Help

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her, but this one is her best and first one

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg and most of her books

Funny in Farsi

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Secret Life of Bees

The Book Thief

The Geography of Bliss - non-fiction and wonderful

Outliers … and all Malcolm Gladwell books