Menu

Questions about the LDS (Mormon) faith

If it is really nagging at you, you can make an appointment to talk to the bishop. It's just a sit down in his office and you chat. It usually just comes up in interviews for temple recommends. One of the questions is "Do you follow/keep the word of wisdom?" and this is were people usually chime in with confessions of drinking coffee or whatever etc... T

No, it isn't bugging me that bad. :D I ws just wondering if it was, as a couple of other things are, at all similar to what we Catholics call confession.

Thanks for answering though.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Pre-Existence, a spirit can choose NOT to be born of the flesh, etc? If a spirit can choose not to be born of the flesh, [the language Xuzi used was "All of us were with the Father prior to being born to this Earth (in what we call the Pre-Existance) where we learned of, and accepted His Plan to come to earth, be tempted, and either choose or reject Him..."], what is their role in the Father's kingdom? Do they become cast out like the original spirits that went with Satan? Is there some path they can take that does not separate them from God?

In the Pre-Existence, a spirit can choose NOT to be born of the flesh, etc? If a spirit can choose not to be born of the flesh, [the language Xuzi used was "All of us were with the Father prior to being born to this Earth (in what we call the Pre-Existance) where we learned of, and accepted His Plan to come to earth, be tempted, and either choose or reject Him..."], what is their role in the Father's kingdom? Do they become cast out like the original spirits that went with Satan? Is there some path they can take that does not separate them from God?

You know, I don't know. I've never heard anything taught in church, or read in scripture, about Spirits not choosing to come to Earth. I would think it'd be one of those "We don't really need to know" or "The Lord hasn't chosen to reveal that information to us" things.

I'm back! So I can try to keep things going. Until dinner time.

Well, there won't be any alcohol at the reception. :tongue_smilie: Your dd can come to the temple and wait outside (with other friends and family not attending the ceremony) or in a waiting room off the lobby. Doing this would allow her to congratulate the couple when they come outside and your dd could be in the pictures (which I'm guessing your dd's friend will want due to their close relationship). :)

Yes, if they're close I'd suggest that she go and wait outside. I know it sounds like you're being left out in the cold, but any of the bride's friends who aren't married yet themselves will be there too, and it's generally considered to be a fun, nice thing to do. When I was a college student and my friends were getting married, it was not at all unusual to drive long distances in order to... wait outside the temple and go to the reception. Once I drove from CA to Utah to do that, and the bride aimed her bouquet at me, and the rest is history. Next thing I knew, I was engaged. ;)

Well, becoming mortal, acquiring a body, etc. is an essential part of our learning process, part of the plan for us to learn and become more like our Father in Heaven. We believe that a body is a great blessing. So, there were two choices--follow Jesus and get born, or follow Satan and stay a spirit. Those who chose to follow Satan are stuck in their development; they cannot learn and progress. Anyone who chose to follow Jesus will get born on earth sooner or later, and be able to learn and choose further. There isn't a third path.

I'm back! So I can try to keep things going. Until dinner time.

Yes, if they're close I'd suggest that she go and wait outside. I know it sounds like you're being left out in the cold, but any of the bride's friends who aren't married yet themselves will be there too, and it's generally considered to be a fun, nice thing to do. When I was a college student and my friends were getting married, it was not at all unusual to drive long distances in order to... wait outside the temple and go to the reception. Once I drove from CA to Utah to do that, and the bride aimed her bouquet at me, and the rest is history. Next thing I knew, I was engaged. ;)

Deffinately wait outside if it's possible! You'll get to visit with the family, walk around the gorgeous Temple grounds (they're all gorgeous!), and everyone cheers for the Bride and Groom when they come out. Sometimes too the Sealer (the man who performs the ceremony) will come out and share with you how the ceremony went. And if you want to be involved in group pictures, that's the place to be. Pretty much every LDS wedding I've been to has taken a huge group picture in front of the Temple of everyone who came (whether they were there for the actual ceremony or just waiting outside).

I ws just wondering if it was, as a couple of other things are, at all similar to what we Catholics call confession.

I hope I don't offend here but at the risk of going out on a limb the LDS "confession" is not really similar to the Catholic one. From what I have heard (and I'm probably totally wrong) Catholics "confess' and are told to say a few Hail Mary's and everything is right again:confused: Sorry if that is incorrect.

The LDS "confession" is only a part of the process of repentance. If you have done something "wrong" then yes you go to the Bishop and confess it. He will then discuss with you the process of repenting of the sin depending on the seriousness of it.

LDS believe in faith+works+grace. We believe Faith without works is dead - that we are saved by God's grace after all we can do (Because no matter what we do it will never be enough to make up for our sins - but God does expect us to try). This means if you are sorry you have done something then you have to prove it by your actions. Confessing and saying a few prayers is not adequate repentance for some of the major sins (or lesser ones). Basically you have to actually BE repentant and sorry - not just say you are. This means restoring and repairing the sin as much as possible I.E if you stole something you give it back or pay for it - if you cheat on your spouse you have to re earn their trust (tough). You must then never do it again and you must redouble all your efforts to keep all of God's commandments. There are many other ways of showing true repentance - these are just some examples.

I had a friend of another faith who was convinced she could do anything she liked and then just confess and all would be forgiven and she could do the same thing over and over as long as she confessed eventually. This is not acceptable repentance in LDS doctrine. In the bible when Jesus forgave sinners he said - go thy way and SIN NO MORE.

Again hope I didn't offend with my misconstrued information on the Catholic church - but this is what I have seen from many friends I have who claim they are Catholic anyway.

Edited by sewingmama

No, it isn't bugging me that bad. :D I ws just wondering if it was, as a couple of other things are, at all similar to what we Catholics call confession.

It isn't the same, in that there's no need to regularly confess all your sins to the bishop. That's pretty much reserved for serious sin, or whenever you feel you need help. But I think in the end it serves a similar function; the bishop is there to help you figure out how to put things right and repent, which I think is what the Catholic priest is doing too, right?

Thanks for starting this thread. I am fascinated! I love hearing about what other people believe, and I would much rather hear them tell it so I really understand it than get secondhand information that may be distorted.

I am an amatuer genealogist, and I am impressed by the research and care taken by the LDS in the area. But I have never had an LDS member explain the reasoning behind their interest in it and the baptisms that go along with it. And what happens if someone who was baptized wouldn't have wanted to be LDS?

We believe that we are all God's children, and that our Father in Heaven wants all of us to have the opportunity to hear and believe His Word. Therefore, we are involved in genealogy to extend that opportunity to those who lived before us to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and be baptized. Jesus Christ himself said that man "must be born of water and the Spirit" in order to enter His kingdom. But what of those who were born before Christ? Or who lived their entire lives without knowing of His teachings? That is why we perform proxy baptisms in our temples. As Paul said, "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the dead?" (1 Corinthians 15:29)

Nobody is required to accept ANY temple ordinances performed for them. If someone who is deceased decides they are not interested, that is up to them. The opportunity for salvation is provided....the decision to accept it is ALWAYS left to the individual for whom it is performed. Our obligation to our deceased ancestors is only to provide the opportunity for them.

I must have missed it going through or not connected it. I will go re-read.

So where would you say these people who haven't had this chance are before you give them the chance? Would they fall into the Terrestial, Telestial or some other place?

I guess I am trying to compare it to Catholic beliefs on purgatory.

I would never presume to determine someone's final judgement, since as LDS, we are told that an individual's salvation is left only for God to judge. However, we do know that open rejection of God and His teachings would not lead to exhaltation, as Christ himself explained that they are necessary to salvation.

The "Great Council In Heaven" as LDS refer to the meeting when God the Father put forth his "Plan of Salvation" and Satan rejected it along with a third of the spirits and was cast out of heaven has already happened - it was a one time event :001_smile:

Thus all the spirits still waiting in the Pre-existance to be born onto the earth and gain a body already agreed to the Father's plan and agreed that getting a body was a great idea. Those who decided that they did not want a body were cast out with Satan at the time of the Great Council.

Essentially - once you decided to follow the Fathers plan to get a body you don't suddenly change your mind while you are waiting to be born and decide to follow Satan instead :D

Edited by sewingmama

I worked with a lady who was LDS. She taught a 6th grade girls class, talked about her missionary work etc. Not bragging just converation of life experiences. She was very excited that she had received or earned a "card?" to be able to attend a particular Temple??

Just wondering why she had to earn access to the Temple and are there regular services there or is it just a place to pray and worship on your own to grow in your faith.

Also, when she tranferred to Utah I believe she said something about only being able to attend a certain church because of her age and she was single? Not sure I understood that? If you can explain this thank you.

She was most likely speaking of a temple recommend, which is a card that allows you the privilege of attending the temple. You need to be an LDS member, in good standing, in order to receive one.

As far as attending church, she must have been referring to going to a singles ward on Sunday. A ward is similar to a Catholic parish. We do have wards for singles who choose to attend them (they'd rather be with others their own age instead of a bunch of fuddy-duddy older people. :lol:), but they do not HAVE to attend them by any means. Most choose to, because the social opportunities are more plentiful for them.

Well, becoming mortal, acquiring a body, etc. is an essential part of our learning process, part of the plan for us to learn and become more like our Father in Heaven. We believe that a body is a great blessing. So, there were two choices--follow Jesus and get born, or follow Satan and stay a spirit. Those who chose to follow Satan are stuck in their development; they cannot learn and progress. Anyone who chose to follow Jesus will get born on earth sooner or later, and be able to learn and choose further. There isn't a third path.

What I think you're saying is that back before God created the world we live in, when Satan waged his war, all the spirits that God had already created (which is everyone our world has ever known and ever will know) made a choice at that point to stay with God or be banished with Satan. That choice was to accept God's plan for them and be born into this world.

If that is an accurate extrapolation of Mormon belief, then a Mormon would say there are no angels as I would call them (being Roman Catholic, I believe there are spirits created by God that were never intended to be human). The spirits that exist with Him are only awaiting their entry into this world.

edited to add: this thread is moving at lightning speed! Someone answered my question before I had finished forming it!!

Am I right so far? I'd hate to go too far into this line of reasoning if I'm already off!

Okay. Cool. My next questions would have been about how young families get started doing that or if there were storage facilities available for people in apartments.

Thanks for the link. :thumbup1:

:iagree:

More questions about the current prophet. How does he "come to power" so to speak? Is he elected? Does he serve for live or for a certain term? Is he the leader of your church in a similar way the pope is leader of the Catholic church or the Patriarch the leader of the Orthodox church?

Prophets are not "elected". They are called to serve in the Quorum of Twelve Apostles at some point in their lives, and then by "natural selection", so to speak, the most senior living member of the Quorum becomes the new prophet upon the old prophet's dead. In that way, the Lord chooses our prophet.

What is the Sacrament - capital "S"?

What Catholics would call Holy Communion. Our Sacrament Meeting is our most important meeting of the week. It is where we gather as a ward (parish to a Catholic) and renew our covenants with the Lord by partaking of bread and water in rememberance of Him and His Atonement.

I hope I don't offend here but at the risk of going out on a limb the LDS "confession" is not really similar to the Catholic one. From what I have heard (and I'm probably totally wrong) Catholics "confess' and are told to say a few Hail Mary's and everything is right again:confused: Sorry if that is incorrect..

No offense taken, but that isn't quite the right information for Catholics. Catholics do confess mortal sins (and sometimes venial) to their priest and they are given penance to do (which is usually prayers). But that isn't the whole story.

Baltimore Catechism (388 and 389)

God will not forgive us any sin unless we have true contrition. Contrition is sincere sorrow for having offended God, and hatred for the sins we have committed, with a firm purpose of sinning no more.

Confession also often includes counseling on how practically to avoid sin and how to practically make reparations for your sinful actions.

Just wanted to clarify, since it was brought up.

What I think you're saying is that back before God created the world we live in, when Satan waged his war, all the spirits that God had already created (which is everyone our world has ever known and ever will know) made a choice at that point to stay with God or be banished with Satan. That choice was to accept God's plan for them and be born into this world.

If that is an accurate extrapolation of Mormon belief, then a Mormon would say there are no angels as I would call them (being Roman Catholic, I believe there are spirits created by God that were never intended to be human). The spirits that exist with Him are only awaiting their entry into this world.

edited to add: this thread is moving at lightning speed! Someone answered my question before I had finished forming it!!

Am I right so far? I'd hate to go too far into this line of reasoning if I'm already off!

Yes, I think your summary is accurate. And you've put your finger on a clear difference there. Mormon theology says that God has many children and that we are all, so to speak, of one race. He is the Father of our spirits, and he wants us to inherit as much as we are willing to inherit. There aren't other, non-human entities in our theology; angels are messengers of God, but they are human beings. Depending on their job, they may be spirits who are not yet born or people who have already died, but they will always, at some point, live on earth.

Yes, I think your summary is accurate. And you've put your finger on a clear difference there. Mormon theology says that God has many children and that we are all, so to speak, of one race. He is the Father of our spirits, and he wants us to inherit as much as we are willing to inherit. There aren't other, non-human entities in our theology; angels are messengers of God, but they are human beings. Depending on their job, they may be spirits who are not yet born or people who have already died, but they will always, at some point, live on earth.

So everyone born into this world has already made a clear decision beforehand to follow God's plan?

So how do we reconcile making that choice to follow God so clearly but once on earth, not following him? Is it a continuation of free will or something else?

I am guessing that means LDS does not believe in "once saved, always saved" then either. Is that correct?

[if that is an accurate extrapolation of Mormon belief, then a Mormon would say there are no angels as I would call them (being Roman Catholic, I believe there are spirits created by God that were never intended to be human). The spirits that exist with Him are only awaiting their entry into this world.

Mormons believe in angels - very much so - an angel came to Joseph Smith after all:) Also angels are mention in the Bible - Isaiah 6:8 - and we certainly believe in the Bible.

However there are many types of angels in LDS belief - the ones mentioned in the Bible - Seraphim I think- and so forth are one type we know not much about. It appears they have a specific role (of glorifying God) that is different to regular humans. What exactly they are or do- we do not know for sure.

The other type we believe in are simply humans (some of have recieved their bodies, some haven't) who are sent by God to the earth for specific purposes - usually to convey messages from God.

For example - Joseph Smith was visited by many angels - Moroni - who was an actual man from the Book of Mormon - and thus was a resurrected being (ie was given back his body after he died) as well as Peter, James and John from the Bible who gave him the keys of the priesthood. We also believe in the angels Michael and Gabriel etc who where also known as Adam and Noah when they were on the earth.

So yes - we believe in angels each with distinct purposes in their missions.

Edited by sewingmama

Did I catch somewhere back there Mormons believe that Mary was a virgin when Jesus was conceived?

Do Mormons believe that Mary and Joseph never physically consummated their marriage?

Do Mormons believe in Mary's own immaculate conception (that she was born free of original sin)?

We do believe Mary was a virgin and conceived Christ by the power of the Holy Ghost.

We do not believe Mary was "ever virgin".

We do not believe in Mary's immaculate conception. We believe Christ is the only sinless being to ever come to earth.

Okay, Mormons do not believe in original sin. Can you tell me what the Mormon teaching on sin is? I know that's probably a really broad question. Let me see if I can find a more specific question. :001_smile:

Hmmmm...let's try this: what about the nature of man changed when God cast Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden?

In a nutshell: We believe mankind will be punished for their own sins and not for Adam's trangression.

So everyone born into this world has already made a clear decision beforehand to follow God's plan?

So how do we reconcile making that choice to follow God so clearly but once on earth, not following him? Is it a continuation of free will or something else?

I am guessing that means LDS does not believe in "once saved, always saved" then either. Is that correct?

What we chose was to follow His plan. We would be born, take upon us a physical body, and face the temptations of the world. That wasn't the final choice for us to make though. We still had to choose, again, to follow Him HERE, where we have no memory of our first estate (Pre-existance). When faced with the happiness the Gospel promises, and the "happiness" the World promises, which will we choose?

ETA: And no, we don't believe in "once saved always saved". One can always choose to deny the Holy Spirit. However, any sin less than the denial of the Holy Spirit won't ban you from Heaven. How faithful you are at enduring to the end, keeping your heart in the right place, leaning on Him, and repenting when you need to, will effect what Degree of Glory you recieve (Celestial, Terrestial, or Tellestial) but you won't be cast out into Hell.

Edited by Xuzi

Mormons believe in angels - very much so - an angel came to Joseph Smith after all:) Also angels are mention in the Bible - Revelations I think - and we certainly believe in the Bible.

However there are many types of angels in LDS belief - the ones mentioned in the Bible - Seraphim I think- and so forth are one type we know not much about. It appears they have a specific role (of glorifying God) that is different to regular humans. What exactly they are or do- we do not know for sure.

The other type we believe in are simply humans (some of have recieved their bodies, some haven't) who are sent by God to the earth for specific purposes - usually to convey messages from God.

For example - Joseph Smith was visited by many angels - Moroni - who was an actual man from the Book of Mormon - and thus was a resurrected being (ie was given back his body after he died) as well as Peter, James and John from the Bible who gave him the keys of the priesthood. We also believe in the angels Michael and Gabriel etc who where also known as Adam and Noah when they were on the earth.

So yes - we believe in angels each with distinct purposes in their missions.

So, these are spirits (the words "spirit" and "angel" are interchangeable in Mormon teaching?) that have never and will never have bodies? Or does the Mormon faith leaves that possibility open? I understand the notion that spirits have different roles while not in their bodies of flesh, thus the "many types of angels."

And I must assume that a revelation that Noah and Adam are also known as Gabriel and Michael comes from an LDS specific canon.

Yes, but that was then.

Here on earth, we have to make our choices without Heavenly Father standing right there watching us. It's no longer so obvious, and we don't remember all that came before. This life is meant (partly) for us to develop a little bit more on our own, I guess; to learn for ourselves about good and evil and the true desires of our hearts. Here is a simple lesson on this topic, with scripture references. One scripture explains it like this: Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself. --2 Nephi 2:27

Nope. You can always choose to say no to God. You can always choose to separate yourself from him.

So how do we reconcile making that choice to follow God so clearly but once on earth, not following him? Is it a continuation of free will or someting else?

When we are born God draws a veil across our mind so we do not remember him or our life beforehand in the pre-existance. God wants us to come back to him based on our own free will and agency and faith. If we remembered our lives before hand we would not sin because we would want to go back there - there would be no such thing as faith because we would have a clear knowledge of where we came from and what we would go back to if we led sinless lives.

The main reason Satan was cast out of Heaven was because his plan was to force everyone back to God - we woulld have no free agency. Without free will/agency we cannot grow, learn,understand or gain wisdom. We would be like sheep - returning to God not really having learned anything form our experience because we were not allowed to make our own choices we would only have ever done what we were told to do with no chance to make mistakes - which is where most of our wisdom is obtained.

No LDS do not believe in "once saved always saved". We believe in "enduring to the end" - after baptism you must continue to live all of God's commandments to prove your commitment to him. Again we believe in faith+works+grace. You have to do everything you can to show God you love him and after you do that his grace will make up for your shortcomings (because we are not perfect God makes up the rest with his grace). God wants a faithful commitment from us for our entire lives - not just on baptism day:)

Edited by sewingmama

I hope I don't offend here but at the risk of going out on a limb the LDS "confession" is not really similar to the Catholic one. From what I have heard (and I'm probably totally wrong) Catholics "confess' and are told to say a few Hail Mary's and everything is right again:confused: Sorry if that is incorrect.

The LDS "confession" is only a part of the process of repentance. If you have done something "wrong" then yes you go to the Bishop and confess it. He will then discuss with you the process of repenting of the sin depending on the seriousness of it.

LDS believe in faith+works+grace. We believe Faith without works is dead - that we are saved by God's grace after all we can do (Because no matter what we do it will never be enough to make up for our sins - but God does expect us to try). This means if you are sorry you have done something then you have to prove it by your actions. Confessing and saying a few prayers is not adequate repentance for some of the major sins (or lesser ones). Basically you have to actually BE repentant and sorry - not just say you are. This means restoring and repairing the sin as much as possible I.E if you stole something you give it back or pay for it - if you cheat on your spouse you have to re earn their trust (tough). You must then never do it again and you must redouble all your efforts to keep all of God's commandments. There are many other ways of showing true repentance - these are just some examples.

I had a friend of another faith who was convinced she could do anything she liked and then just confess and all would be forgiven and she could do the same thing over and over as long as she confessed eventually. This is not acceptable repentance in LDS doctrine. In the bible when Jesus forgave sinners he said - go thy way and SIN NO MORE.

Again hope I didn't offend with my misconstrued information on the Catholic church - but this is what I have seen from many friends I have who claim they are Catholic anyway.

:lol: if only! Nope, it isn't quite that simple.

Before anything else true repentance is needed and a firm resolve to not commit the same sin again. You friend that believes she can do whatever then go to Reconciliation and everything will be find is actually committing a pretty big sin. Hopefully her priest is counseling her.

One of the many blessings in saying one's confession to a regular confessor is that one's confessor can help out with seeing patterns in behavior. When one goes into the confessional it can take half an hour or more (not very common, but it does happen).

The formula that is followed makes it seem like an easy-peesy way to receive God's grace, but it truly is so much more than that. And a priest has the option of not granting reconciliation. "That which you bind on Earth will be bound in Heaven."

Thank you for explaining the LDS version.

It isn't the same, in that there's no need to regularly confess all your sins to the bishop. That's pretty much reserved for serious sin, or whenever you feel you need help. But I think in the end it serves a similar function; the bishop is there to help you figure out how to put things right and repent, which I think is what the Catholic priest is doing too, right?

Yes. Having a regular confessor is a good thing, as is going to confession regularly. That way if one is committing the same sin over and over again the priest can counsel on ways to avoid doing what one is doing to commit the sin in the first place.

No offense taken, but that isn't quite the right information for Catholics. Catholics do confess mortal sins (and sometimes venial) to their priest and they are given penance to do (which is usually prayers). But that isn't the whole story.

Baltimore Catechism (388 and 389)

God will not forgive us any sin unless we have true contrition. Contrition is sincere sorrow for having offended God, and hatred for the sins we have committed, with a firm purpose of sinning no more.

Confession also often includes counseling on how practically to avoid sin and how to practically make reparations for your sinful actions.

Just wanted to clarify, since it was brought up.

I have a very creative priest at this parish. It is not often that I get prayers for penance.

So, these are spirits (the words "spirit" and "angel" are interchangeable in Mormon teaching?) that have never and will never have bodies? Or does the Mormon faith leaves that possibility open? I understand the notion that spirits have different roles while not in their bodies of flesh, thus the "many types of angels."

And I must assume that a revelation that Noah and Adam are also known as Gabriel and Michael comes from an LDS specific canon.

I cannot verify one way or the other regarding angels such as Seraphim -in the bible they are noted as being winged and only half-human in form - exactly what form they take is open to speculation. The LDS church does have its "mysteries" -things that we do not fully understand because they are of no eternal significance to us. In other words - having an understanding of the angels mentioned in Isaiah is not something that is necessary for us to know about to return to live with God - so it has never been expounded upon.

We know more about the other types of angels - those who where once or will become men- because they feature more predominately in our understanding of God's plan of salvation.These types of angels will or already have recieved a body -they are simply men either not yet born or men who have been born and died who are doing work God has requested of them - they are God s messengers (or angels).

So in answer to your question most of the angels associated with the LDS faith have had or will eventually have bodies. They are people like you and I who God has asked specifically to come to earth acting as an "angel of God". If they have not been born yet they will only have a spirit form - if they have been born and died they will have a body ie the angels who we believe visited Joseph Smith had already been born on earth in Biblical times (Peter, James and John, Elias, Moses, Elijah)

Yes the revelation of Noah/Gabriel and Adam/Michael is of LDS origin - I forget whence it came though - someone help me out please:)

Edited by sewingmama

if only! Nope, it isn't quite that simple.

Before anything else true repentance is needed and a firm resolve to not commit the same sin again. You friend that believes she can do whatever then go to Reconciliation and everything will be find is actually committing a pretty big sin. Hopefully her priest is counseling her.

One of the many blessings in saying one's confession to a regular confessor is that one's confessor can help out with seeing patterns in behavior. When one goes into the confessional it can take half an hour or more (not very common, but it does happen).

The formula that is followed makes it seem like an easy-peesy way to receive God's grace, but it truly is so much more than that. And a priest has the option of not granting reconciliation. "That which you bind on Earth will be bound in Heaven."

Thank you for explaining that - I must have watched too many movies with this Catholic stereotype :D

Honestly most of the Catholics I have known are the type that only go to church at Easter and Christmas - it's nice to get the low down from someone who actually practices devoutly.

A few comments:

(1) I'd like to thank all of the LDS people on this board for doing all of this heavy lifting so I didn't have to. ;)

(2) When I saw six pages, I assumed a war had broken out. I'm so thankful to the awesome people of this board that there hasn't been a single rude comment.

(3) Waaaay back someone asked about things that bugged LDS people. Here's mine: that we are all mindless, robotic sheep.

Let me explain why this bothers me so much: there is a program in the LDS Church called 'home teaching,' which involved all of the men in the Church being assigned to visit all of the homes of church members, once per month, to see if they are in need of anything and to deliver a brief devotional message. The importance of doing your home teaching is harped on constantly. Do you know what home teaching rates are? Maybe 20%. Does that sound like obedient sheep to you? :001_huh:

Anyway, thanks for all of the interest and polite discussion.

You asked for it!

Is it really offensive to use the word "Mormon"?

How is homeschooling perceived in general among LDS folks?

I apologize if these questions were answered previously in the thread.

Thanks!

I don't consider "Mormon" offensive at all, and actually prefer to use it. I think "LDS" is clunky. Some Mormons don't like the term, but most are fine with either word. The technically correct abbreviation is The Church of Jesus Christ. That's pretty long too.

Homeschooling isn't really very popular among Mormons, but it's not a problem to homeschool either. I've lived in many wards around the country and have only rarely known another LDS homeschooling family in my ward.

Edited by Amira

No it's not - we in the church have been encouraged to refer to ourselves by our proper title but we most all accept the nickname Mormon because that is what most non-members refer to us as -in fact when I use the proper title people look at me strangely until I say AKA - Mormons - then they are all Oh yeah I have heard of you LOL

I can't speak for the general LDS homeschooling community - I live in Australia - homeschooling is still not common anywhere here. Whenever I mention it people have no opinions on it one way or the other - usually all I get is a "Oh that's nice" or "I could never do that". I don't know any other LDS homeschoolers in my area or anywhere really.

However the LDS church highly encourages gaining a "sound and extensive,continuing education". We believe in educating ourselves throughout our lifetime from good and worthwhile books - so basically the principles are similar to those of a lot of homeschoolers and does not conflict. The church respect parents rights to educate their children however they see fit so long as it complies with the laws of the land ie not illegal. I guess how it is percieved among the LDS population is about the same as it would be in any general population - some think its great - some couldn't care less about it and some REALLY have opinons about it :D

Edited by sewingmama

Okay. Cool. My next questions would have been about how young families get started doing that or if there were storage facilities available for people in apartments.

I'm not Mormon and haven't read through all of this thread, but I did want to comment on this. For several reasons, my wife and I started stocking up on food and other supplies about 3 or 4 years ago. For the bulk items(wheat, rice, beans, etc), we have bought those either through ldscatalog.org or directly through an LDS cannery(I think that's the what they are called) that's not too far away. The prices are very reasonable for these kind of items(especially since some of them come in cans or you can can them on site) and the people I have met at the cannery have been the friendliest people you will ever meet.

If you are just getting started or are on a limited budget, I would definitely see what they have available since you'll probably be able to get a lot of food without spending too much money.

You asked for it!

I apologize if these questions were answered previously in the thread.

Thanks!

I don't use "Mormon" and I prefer not to be referred to as such. Answering the "what bugs you most" question, I'd have to say that I really dislike it when people think polygamists (Sister Wives, Yearning for Zion, etc.) have anything to do with the LDS church. I watch some of those shows because the lives portrayed are so foreign to me. I'm gawking along with the rest of you. ;)

Also, it is upsetting/annoying when people refer to my faith as a cult or non-Christian, etc. I think anti-Mormon meetings held at some churches are distasteful and do nothing but stir up hatred and spread false or grossly exaggerated information. I always think it is best to ask a person who actually professes the beliefs in question. :)

I grew up in California, but have only raised kids in Utah. There is one other homeschooling family in my ward. Most people think it is a weird thing to do. Utah has a lot of LDS people, though, so I have several LDS friends who homeschool. :)

I have been absent from the forum today! I am LDS also, a convert at the age of 31.

I don't like being referred to as "Mormon" because it is a name another group uses to identify themselves, and they are not members of the LDS church. It makes people like my sil think REALLY WEIRD things about me and my beliefs.

Homeschooling among LDS...I was surprised to find out there aren't more LDS members homeschooling. Some are not so fond of it, many members are public school teachers. Others wish they could, some are supportive.

Someone asked if we get to own our own planet? I thought that was funny. I've never read that anywhere in church material, but I have heard it said outside of the church by non-members.

We had a neighbor who thought he needed to tell me what he was being taught on Sundays in his church about the "Mormon" church and why the "Mormon" church was wrong.

I have always looked at it like this: If you want to know about the heart don't ask a foot doctor. :001_smile:

I think this is so interesting. Thank you for providing your answers. Here are a few more questions:

1. I read in the link you provided that you are to refrain from hot beverages. So does that mean you can have caffeine - iced coffee, iced tea, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew? Is there any explanation for why no hot beverages?

2. Who is Lucifer/Satan? Is it true he is considered a brother of Jesus? Would he be God's son also?

3. If a man can have more than one wife in the eternal state, what happens to a woman who has been married more than once? Who does she go with or is her spirit somehow duplicated?

Thank you!

What bugs me the most?

When people call us non-christian and when people who are not members proclaim to know all about our "cult doctrine" and no matter how much I tell them what they believe is a myth - they refuse to listen to me and critisise the church for things that we don't even believe in.

I have no issue with people not believing in the doctrine of the LDS church as long as it is the correct doctrine they have issues with - it just bugs me if the doctrine they are so critical of is a myth - such as 'your church is a cult because you believe in Polygamy' (no we don't) or 'you believe only Mormons will go to heaven' (again - no we don't). It's ok to ask about these things -I will give you the correct answer if you are genuinely interested - but it is not ok to tell me that I am brainwashed and do not know about the "real truth" of my religion. Reading an article or two by an anti-mormon does not you, an expert make :glare:

1. I read in the link you provided that you are to refrain from hot beverages. So does that mean you can have caffeine - iced coffee, iced tea, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew? Is there any explanation for why no hot beverages?

2. Who is Lucifer/Satan? Is it true he is considered a brother of Jesus? Would he be God's son also?

3. If a man can have more than one wife in the eternal state, what happens to a woman who has been married more than once? Who does she go with or is her spirit somehow duplicated?

1. "Hot beverages" refer specifically to coffee and tea. We do drink hot chocolate and herbal tea. Back in the day when this revelation was given I do not think they had Iced Coffee or Coke and Pepsi - so these were not specifically mentioned. The point of the Word of Wisdom is to avoid all addictive substances - hence no alcohol, coffee, tea, cigarettes or recreational drugs. Drinking Coke or other caffinated drinks is left to the discretion of each member but it is not encouraged although I know some members who do drink it (I do not). The amount of caffeine in chocolate is considered to be non-addictive :D so yes we can eat that and keep the Word of Wisdom.

2. Yes Lucifer/Satan is God's son as we all are God's children. We refer to Jesus Christ as our elder brother - the firstborn of God the Father, so in that sense Satan was Jesus's brother. We believe that God is the literal father of all our spirits - Jesus Christ and Satan included. Satan turned out to be the wayward child or the black sheep of the family if you will :)

3.The woman stays with the husband she was sealed in the temple to. A woman can only be sealed once. She can remarry but after she dies she will stay with the man she is sealed to.

I think this is so interesting. Thank you for providing your answers. Here are a few more questions:

Thank you!

There isn't a specific reason given about the hot drinks, except it's healthier to avoid them. Caffeine isn't specifically prohibited, although many members choose to avoid it. But the only absolute prohibition is coffee, tea, and alcohol. Some hot drinks like hot chocolate and herbal tea are fine.

I think this was touched on earlier, but we believe Satan is God's son (as we all are God's children). He is Jesus's brother, just as we all are Jesus's brothers and sisters. Do look above for a fuller explanation.

I have no idea how it will work in eternity when people are sealed to more than one person. Many Mormons believe that a woman who is sealed to more than one man will choose one of those men. Psonally, I don't think we know enough of the details to do more than speculate.

3.The woman stays with the husband she was sealed in the temple to. A woman can only be sealed once. She can remarry but after she dies she will stay with the man she is sealed to.

Does this mean a man can only be sealed with a woman who has not been married before? Pages back on this thread I thought it was mentioned that a man can be sealed with more than one woman but a woman only one man. I was thinking of a scenario where a widow and a widower married, both having been sealed before. Or if a widower who was sealed in his first marriage marries a woman who had never been married.

Thank you.

Does this mean a man can only be sealed with a woman who has not been married before? Pages back on this thread I thought it was mentioned that a man can be sealed with more than one woman but a woman only one man. I was thinking of a scenario where a widow and a widower married, both having been sealed before. Or if a widower who was sealed in his first marriage marries a woman who had never been married.

A man can be sealed to any woman who has not been sealed to another man before.

A man can marry a woman who has previously been sealed to another man but he cannot be sealed to her. Which means after she dies she will return to the man she is sealed to.

A man can marry a woman who has been married before but he cannot be sealed to her if she is already sealed to another man.

In the case of your scenario - in the first instance where they have both been sealed before they would be married for this life only and when they die they will remain with the spouse they were origianally sealed to.

In the case of your second instance - the man can be sealed to the woman who has never been married and when they die he will have two wives in heaven.

Hope that was clear. Now I'm waiting for you to ask what happens to the children of these couples :D

If you go back to where I answered the question of what we believe about the afterlife, you'll see why we do the baptisms. They're for people who did not have a chance to recieve the Gospel and it's attending Ordinances in this life. Their Spirits still have the right (because of their agency/free will/whatever you want to call that wonderful gift from God) to accept or reject the proxy baptism. Because we have no way of knowing for sure if a deceased ancestor of ours has accepted the Gospel or not, we do their work anyway, and let them accept or reject it at their will. :)

Is there a way to make sure these proxy baptisms are not performed on a person(like myself) or a family member? I have no LDS family members if that helps....

LOL I think she was saying that if something was really nagging at a person, then they could make an appt with the Bishop...not saying that something was really nagging at you. ;)