Menu

Questions about the LDS (Mormon) faith

Several people have expressed to me an interest in having a thread where they can learn more about LDS beliefs and culture and have urged me to start one. I'm going to say up front that I'm somewhat torn on this. It feels awkward starting the thread myself; I'd much rather answer spontaneous questions than solicit questions. I don't want to seem (or feel) like I'm proselyting here--I don't really think that's appropriate in this setting. Also, it feels a little like setting myself up as the target on a shooting range. Past experience tells me that many people are...um..."uncomfortable" with this topic and may respond in ways that...um...perhaps demonstrate less courtesy than they are generally apt to use. But I also want people to feel that they can ask questions, and evidently there's some hesitation since people keep asking me to start a thread instead of just starting one themselves. So in response to all you nudgers out there (and you know who you are, but I won't 'out' you...lol...) I've decided to take a deep breath and walk out on the plank and hope there aren't too many sharks in the waters. But do feel free to jump in with me, even if you did no nudging.

So...that thing you've wondered about? Go ahead and ask it here. Or start another thread if you want. I may not know the answers, but hopefully some of the other LDS forum members will jump in too. Please understand that I am not a theologian. I am not, nor have I ever been, a missionary (except in the sense that, as the LDS church teaches, "every member is a missionary" because people see what we believe by observing how we live). I am a wife and homeschooling mother by profession, with an art degree, who likes to read a lot and think things through. I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a good many years and have done my best to familiarize myself with its teachings and procedures. I have served in various leadership and teaching capacities (as has pretty much anyone who's been an active participant in the church for any length of time). I am happy to answer questions, but I have no intention of getting drawn into lengthy formal debates. I am not trying to "convert" anyone, as it is my sincere belief that only God can "convert" a person. I just share information, you do with it what you will.

I am perfectly fine with "weird" questions, or "dumb" questions, or "awkward" questions, and even some "personal" questions (I will tell you nicely if you've asked about something too personal and we can let it go at that--I won't be offended that you asked). I would be very much surprised if anyone here asked me a question that was more bizarre than some things I've already been asked. (Or accused of--no, we don't sacrifice babies on the altars in the temples; yes, if you really, really want to you can feel my head to see if you can locate the stumps of those horns you are just sure are there somewhere under my hairdo, but I'm telling you, you won't find any. Yes, I have been asked both of these questions in all seriousness.) All I ask is that you be polite. Please. And please try to pace things a bit so that I don't wind up with 572 questions all at once. It is a lot faster to ask a question than to answer (as I'm sure you know from working with your kids. :) ) I'll do my best, but please be patient with me (and with anyone else who takes pity on me and jumps in to help with answers). And now that I've said that, this will probably be the only post in this thread...lol.... Oh dear. Anyway....

Ok, shoot. (Not literally, though, ok?)

Edited by MamaSheep

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I will play! I grew up with a lot of mormans in my school. All I knew about them as kids was that they couldn't have caffeine :) Now I have a dear sweet hsing friend who is mormon, and I have had a few questions. I actually have been reading a book on Mormonism currently.

One question I have is: What is typically taught to children in Sunday school? I have noticed that though my friend goes to Christian co-ops with her kids that sometimes they don't know the typical Bible stories that the other Christian children know even though they have been in their church and Sunday school, I assume, their whole lives. I am thinking things like David and Goliath, etc. I come from a church that follows the liturgical year and help teach children's church. So I am just curious about this.

Ok, here's one....

I've been told by a close friend (who is not LDS but was born and raised in Utah in predominantly LDS communities) that LDS members believe that the "after life" consists of what equates to one's own planet.

Is that true? (I feel silly asking, but if it IS true I don't want to trivialize). If it isn't, what is the church's teaching on what happens after death?

Ok, I will play! I grew up with a lot of mormans in my school. All I knew about them as kids was that they couldn't have caffeine :) Now I have a dear sweet hsing friend who is mormon, and I have had a few questions. I actually have been reading a book on Mormonism currently.

One question I have is: What is typically taught to children in Sunday school? I have noticed that though my friend goes to Christian co-ops with her kids that sometimes they don't know the typical Bible stories that the other Christian children know even though they have been in their church and Sunday school, I assume, their whole lives. I am thinking things like David and Goliath, etc. I come from a church that follows the liturgical year and help teach children's church. So I am just curious about this.

LDS Sunday school goes on a 4 year rotation through the Standard Works (scriptures). This year we just wrapped up a study of the Old Testament. Next year Sunday School lessons will be focusing on the New Testament, then in 2012 it will be the Book of Mormon, and in 2013 it will be the Doctrine and Covenants (the book of revelations recieved by Joseph Smith and other modern prophets), then in 2014 we'll be back to the Old Testament. So while LDS children are indeed taught all the usual Bible stories, we also have a LOT more material that we're covering, so the repetition is a bit less than it is for Christian children who only have the Bible to study. I remember being taught about David and Goliath, and King Naaman washing in the river, etc. as a child, but I was also being taught about Ammon teaching King Lamoni, and Lehi's Dream, and Joseph Smith's First Vision. :001_smile:

Thanks for tossing a nice, friendly one at me to start off. Whew! A very good question.

To start, just to clarify terminology I'm going to use, in the LDS church the children's program is called "Primary" (I don't know why) and the organization titled "Sunday School" is geared toward teens and adults. Children typically attend the main worship service (sacrament meeting) with their parents, and then there are two other meetings on Sunday that children typically would attend through the Primary organization. One is a class with a lesson, and the other is called "Sharing Time". The children are divided up for classes by age (in small congregations several ages may be grouped together). The same lesson manuals are used church-wide for these classes for consistency. The ones for Primary can be found in their entirety here, if you would like more detail as to what children are taught there. The manuals are periodically updated or reorganized or whatever, and they're not the same now as they were when I was a child. In Sharing Time, the kids all come together (in larger congregations the group might be divided in half, with half in classes and half in sharing time, and then swapping). They learn and sing songs, there is generally a short lesson, a couple of the kids give (very) short talks, scripture is read. Children are usually asked to offer prayers at the beginning and end. Each year there is a yearly "theme" for Sharing Time, and which has coordinating monthly "themes" on which the music and lessons are centered. This upcoming year's theme is "I Know The Scriptures Are True". Last years, if I remember right, it was "I Know My Savior Lives".

As far as the lessons in the classes, they cover a pretty broad variety of topics and attempt to be age-appropriate. A lot of the lessons for very small children cover topics like Heavenly Father created the animals. Heavenly Father created the plants. My body is a gift from Heavenly Father. I can pray to Heavenly Father. Jesus is Heavenly Father's Son. That sort of thing.

Children a little older than that have lessons that focus more on concepts than on scripture stories--although scripture stories are used to illustrate the concepts. For example, there might be a lesson on...oh...trusting God, which could include the story of David and Goliath as an example of how God watches out for those who trust Him. It would probably include other examples from scripture or from the lives of church leaders, or the teacher might share a personal experience in which trusting God was important in their life. There would probably be several non-story passages of scripture in the lesson as well, like the one about trusting in God with all your heart and not leaning to your own understanding. That sort of thing. So the stories are incorporated, but the story aspect of it is not necessarily the focus.

Children in the older Primary classes focus more on scripture. Each year, one portion of our scriptural canon, which we call the "standard works", is the focus. Last year it was the Old Testament, this coming year will be the New Testament. After that, it will be the Book of Mormon, and the following year will focus on The Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, and some on church history. One thing that might be going on with your friend's kids is that we just have so many more stories to know about. :)

After a child turns 12 he or she moves into the youth programs. The youth and adult Sunday School programs focus on the same part of scripture as the older Primary kids, but in greater depth and detail.

Parents are also expected to study the scriptures at home with their children, and we set aside one night a week for a little family church meeting at home (called Family Home Evening) in which the parents can provide a little lesson on whatever they think their family needs to focus on more.

Generally, I would think most LDS kids would be familiar with basic Bible stories, but with the larger scriptural canon, there are a larger number of stories to be familiar with. It surprises me sometimes which stories my kids don't remember, even though I KNOW we've talked about them more than once. But in some ways I really would rather they understand and remember the underlying principles than the narrative of the stories. I'd rather they understand that God will answer their prayers, and not remember the story about Daniel in the lion's den than the other way around, IYKWIM. Both would be ideal, but if they're going to forget one or the other...well, I don't mind if they use Esther or Joseph or Hannah or Helaman (a guy in the Book of Mormon) as their example of answered prayers instead of Daniel. But that's me.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question. :)

What is typically taught to children in Sunday school? I have noticed that though my friend goes to Christian co-ops with her kids that sometimes they don't know the typical Bible stories that the other Christian children know even though they have been in their church and Sunday school, I assume, their whole lives. I am thinking things like David and Goliath, etc. I come from a church that follows the liturgical year and help teach children's church. So I am just curious about this.

oh, Oh, OH!!!

I know this one.

I am a primary president in my local ward so I know this one. The children ages 3-12 are in primary, the churches program for children. They have classes time and sharing time each week. In class time the older children, ages 8-12, study the scriptures, one book per year. This year, 2011, is the New Testament, last year 2010 was the Old Testament, 2012 will be the Book of Mormon and 2013 will be church history.

No, We don't follow the liturgical year.

It is true that some of the children don't know all the bible stories we would like them to BUT this years theme is "I know the Scriptures are True" so I know in my ward we are going to be working a teaching the children more about the scriptures.

I hope this helps..

:001_smile:

Great thread! I love to hopefully help dispel myths people might have. I know that before I joined the church, just 2 yrs ago, I realized all the myths I'd been told or believed were simply untrue.

I'm always for getting the truth out there, if only to just clear up untrue thinking.

The Bible is taught as well as the Book of Mormon. I'm not sure why their children didn't know typical Bible stories? My boys have only been in the LDS church two years now, and it amazes me how much more they already know about the Bible then I ever did! They have lots of stories. It could have been just that those children hadn't gotten to the part of David and Goliath?

The way the children's primary goes is they have certain themes each (month?) and teach topics related to those themes. (Themes like: Love one another, etc)

Ok, here's one....

I've been told by a close friend (who is not LDS but was born and raised in Utah in predominantly LDS communities) that LDS members believe that the "after life" consists of what equates to one's own planet.

Is that true? (I feel silly asking, but if it IS true I don't want to trivialize). If it isn't, what is the church's teaching on what happens after death?

Hmm not sure about this? But here is my understanding (again after only being in the church for 2 yrs with no previous understanding of church beliefs). The "afterlife" is often referred to as the spirit world, in which our spirits go after we die and we will continue to learn and grow and eventually be judged, (the final judgment) and from there go on to heaven.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Here are some questions. I am curious.

Are there 'things' about the LDS church that members are not allowed to discuss with non-members?

Do you actually have a card? (I have heard the term 'card-carrying Mormon')

Do you have to show someone at your church your yearly tax return?

Ok, here's one....

I don't know of any official doctrine about us having our own planets. There IS doctrine that we will be Joint Heirs with Christ, and inherit all that He has. Wisdom and Knowledge and a Fullness of Joy, etc. Extending that belief you could say that we may be called upon by the Father to Create worlds as He called up Jesus, but I don't know of any specific "This is Doctrine and not speculation" teachings in regards to that. Maybe another LDS member can answer this more clearly.

As to the afterlife, that is a looooooong answer. :lol: After we die we are not immediately placed in Heaven or Hell. Those who accepted Christ in this life will go to Paradise (as the theif on the Cross did), which will be a place of rest. Those who did not accept Christ will go to a place called Spirit Prison, where they will suffer for sins, but also will have the Gospel preached to them. We believe that, between His death and Resurrection, Christ visited the Spirit World (Paradise) and set up a missionary effort of sorts, where those who died with Faith in Christ will preach His Message to those in Spirit Prison who had not heard it or had a chance to accept or reject it. Those that accept it can then be baptized (via Temple Proxy Baptism, since we believe Baptism is a Saving Ordinance that must be performed here on Earth, but proxies can be used for those who died without having the opportunity to do it during their lifetime, thus the Lord shows His Love and Merch for ALL of His children, reguardless of the circumstances they were born into). Baptism opens the gate into Heaven, and those Spirits in Spirit Prison who accept the gospel and accept the proxy baptism performed for them are freed from Spirit Prison.

On Judgement Day (after the Resurrection and Millenial Reign of Christ on the Earth) we will then be divided into Kingdoms (the "many mansions") according to our faithfullness. The only spirits who will be condemned to an Eternity in Hell (or we call it Outer Darkness) will be the Sons of Perdition, which is someone who KNEW the Truth, and turned their back on it, denying the Holy Spirit. They will be completely and utterly removed from the Presense and Glory of God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Those who were faithful will either be rewarded with the Tellestial Kingdom (where you will dwell in the presense of the Holy Ghost), the Terrestial Kingdom (where you will dwell in the presense of Christ), or the Celestial Kingdom (where you will recieve a Fullness of Joy, being in the presense of the Father, Son, AND Holy Ghost). (and whether these Kingdoms are isolated from eachother, or more just "neighborhoods" of a greater kingdom is unknown, although members like to speculate about it). The Celestial Kingdom is where Families are Eternal, as we will be an Eternal Family in Christ. It is for those who accepted Christ (either in life or Spirit Prison), were baptised (either in life, or by proxy), accepted the covenants of the Temple, and then "endured to the End".

The best way I can think of to explain Terrestial and Tellestial Kingdoms is of being a place for the "lukewarm" those who accepted Christ but whose hearts and works did not match that faith, ("Christian in name only" and the like) and the Tellestial is for those who did not accept Christ at all. Again, only those who had a full knowledge of the Truth and then turned their backs on it are barred from recieving any sort of Eternal Reward, since they rejected the Holy Spirit after having recieved it.

I don't think this answer is as clear as I can make it, but hopefully it helps.

If you want to look a little deeper, Section 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants is where a good bit of this Doctrine comes from: http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/138?lang=eng

My brother-in-law joined the LDS faith and he said the hardest thing for him was giving up coffee. That has me wondering . . . are there any other rules you have, and how are these communicated to members. If you can expand on the whys of these rules that would be helpful too. Thank you for being willing to answer these questions!

Ok, here's one....

I'll take a stab at that one (another LDS poster/lurker here)...

We believe that Heavenly Father (God) is literally the father of our spirits. We existed prior to being born on earth as individuals. Our purpose for coming to earth (which was created for our use) is to a)gain a body and b) gain knowledge and wisdom... all things necessary for eternal progression towards perfection. After we die we go to a spirit world were we await resurrection and judgment. Based upon our earthly life and any progress we have made in the post-death spirit world we are judged and assigned to one of the three kingdoms of Glory (Celestial, Terrestrial, Telestial). Those who go to the highest kingdom (Celestial) receive true exaltation and having been through resurrection and judgment we have now been perfected. As our spirit's are literally God's children, so we are now perfected, divine beings. To my understanding it just seems a logical leap that as perfected, divine beings we possess the power to have our own spirit children and begin the divine cycle again.

Are there 'things' about the LDS church that members are not allowed to discuss with non-members?

Yes. There are a few things we don't discuss outside of the temple with anyone, member or non-member.

Yes. i do have a 'card'. My temple recomend. Not all member have one but all are encouraged to be worthy to recieve one.

No, I don't. :001_smile:

Good Questions

Could you eplain your concept of the trinity?

We believe that God (the Father), Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are physically three completely separate divine beings. Both God and Christ have perfected bodies of flesh and bone, while the Holy Ghost exists entirely in spirit form. We do believe that they are one in purpose and will.

Ok, here's one....

I am not LDS, but have studied with missionaries and spent quite a bit of time with a Bishop. Maybe the planet they were speaking of was the 3rd level of Heaven? Mormons go to the top level (unless you are an unmarried Mormon woman-however there is a chance that God will show grace). Those who are not LDS, but have led a good life go to the middle. Those who are pedophiles, abusers and the like would get the bottom level. (I don't know how grace applies in these situations). This is a general overview. If this is the case, the scripture the LDS reference is in the Joseph Smith version KJV Bible.

Or this person could have been referring to:

LDS believe the Father can make them like Him, and since He is divine, they will be too. But, that does not mean they might ever be equal with Him, or replace Him or Jesus. They will always worship the Father as God. AND they believe this is something that happens because of the grace of God.

Was God once a man on another planet? not doctrine. Some LDS have speculated about that because they, as children of God, now live as mortals in this world and have the potential to become gods through the atonement of Christ, that God the Father must have gone through a similar process to be where He is. BUT... it's something the church knows very little about, since nothing has been revealed concerning this.

However, men will get the wives they married on earth. So if a Mormon man was divorced and remarries-he will have both wives in Heaven and both families if him and his first wife had children.

Edited by OregonNative

My brother-in-law joined the LDS faith and he said the hardest thing for him was giving up coffee. That has me wondering . . . are there any other rules you have, and how are these communicated to members. If you can expand on the whys of these rules that would be helpful too. Thank you for being willing to answer these questions!

I was taught that hot drinks are discouraged, but some still drink tea and hot chocolate. No alcohol. Tatoos are a no-no.

In general they are just part of the doctrine we are taught in Primary and Sunday School.

The "rule" that most people instantly think of is the Word of Wisdom and you can read it in its entirety HERE.

You can get a feel for our other standards, as well as our basic doctrine by reading For the Strength of the Youth

No - I've never come across anything we can't discuss, with one exception. What goes on inside the temple are sacred ordinances that we can't discuss. However, anyone is welcome inside the temple if they are found worthy. Also anyone can go inside a temple (even non-members) before a temple is dedicated. :) If you hear about a open house for a newly built temple in your area, you can go through and tour it!

LOL! My DH says that sometimes, but its a figure of speech. I guess we have a temple recommend card, for those who've been approved to go to the temple. Its purpose is to show the people at the temple that we have permission, essentially, to attend.

Nope. We have an annual meeting with the Bishop in which he just shows us a printout of how much tithing we've paid in that year and asks us if that was the full amount. He doesn't ask for pay stubs or proof of income. If you lie about your income and are not paying a full 10%, well then that's just between you and God to work out. ;)

Yes, sort of

Somewhat

And BIG FAT NO!!!:tongue_smilie:

Now to go into more detail. :D

To your first question: The Ordinances of the Temple are not to be discussed outside of the Temple. This is reguardless of who you are talking to, even another Temple-attending member. They are highly Sacred. It used to bother me a little, but it doesn't now. Having seen someone talk about the Temple ordinances with a non-member, and seeing the look of derision that came across that person's face, it broke my heart to see something so intimately sacred judged as being something wierd and awful. When I'm in the Temple I feel such peace and feel so close to my Savior and my Father in Heaven. I would never want to personally open the door for one of their gifts to us to be misunderstood and mocked.

To your second question: What members typically mean by "card carrying Mormon" is that they have a Temple Recommend. It means that they are in good standing with the Church, and have recieved the Ordinances of the Temple. If you are not in good standing (have committed a major sin) or are new in the gospel and haven't attended the Temple yet, or are struggling in the gospel and you and your Bishop determine that you aren't yet ready to make the covenants of the Temple then you wouldn't have a Temple Recommend. (and the Temple Recommend is the card you show at the front desk of the Temple to show that you are a member in good standing. Temples are not open to the public)

And to the third question: NO!!! :tongue_smilie:My DH is my ward's financial clerk (he assists the Bishopric in setting the budgets, depositing the tithing and other monetary donations, and helps keep the ward financial records in order) and NEVER EVER EVER has any Tax stuff from individual members come his way, nor have I ever been asked to bring Tax stuff with me to church. The church does keep records for tax purposes (of contributions) which are then turned over to the members at the end of the year so they can use them for deductions or whatever other personal use they may have for them. (and members can ask for records of their contributions at any time, really, but the church does it without being asked only at the end of the year)

You cannot discuss anything that goes on in the Temple. You are also not supposed to talk about the garment the Mormons wear under their clothes and why the are marked in certain places. If a Mormon speaks about this, the missionaries told me, there was much concern for their soul. (The garment is underclothing received during the initiatory ordinance in the temple. It is more properly known as the garment of the holy priesthood. Mormons who have received the garment are asked to wear is as a sign of being an endowed member of the Church, and are informed that they should wear the garment at all times unless participating in activities such as swimming that do not allow for wearing them).

You do have to tithe faithfully for a year before you can get your card and be allowed into the Temple. I know some do show documents to prove their tithe-however, it is left between you and God.

Edited by OregonNative

I am not LDS, but have studied with missionaries and spent quite a bit of time with a Bishop. Maybe the planet they were speaking of was the 3rd level of Heaven? Mormons go to the top level (unless you are an unmarried Mormon woman-however there is a chance that God will show grace).

However, men will get the wives they married on earth. So if a Mormon man was divorced and remarries-he will have both wives in Heaven and both families if him and his first wife had children.

True and not true. In LDS culture there is a vast difference between "married" and "sealed". Married is something performed outside of the temple and lasts only for this lifetime. Sealed is a marriage performed inside of the temple by a special priesthood holder which binds your marriage for time and all eternity. Those who are sealed can be divorced legally but their sealing can only be dissolved by (I believe) a member of the quorum of the twelve, or possibly only a member of the First Presidency (prophet and his counselors).

We believe that women who are not sealed in this life will have the opportunity to be sealed in the life to come (the time between death and judgment). We believe in a loving God who wouldn't forbid exaltation to a woman simply because she couldn't find her eternal companion during her mortal life.

Men are allowed to be sealed to more than one woman, but women can only be sealed to one man. (I've figured out the reason for this, but have my own opinions. However, they're not doctrine so I won't post them!)

True and not true. In LDS culture there is a vast difference between "married" and "sealed". Married is something performed outside of the temple and lasts only for this lifetime. Sealed is a marriage performed inside of the temple by a special priesthood holder which binds your marriage for time and all eternity. Those who are sealed can be divorced legally but their sealing can only be dissolved by (I believe) a member of the quorum of the twelve, or possibly only a member of the First Presidency (prophet and his counselors).

We believe that women who are not sealed in this life will have the opportunity to be sealed in the life to come (the time between death and judgment). We believe in a loving God who wouldn't forbid exaltation to a woman simply because she couldn't find her eternal companion during her mortal life.

Men are allowed to be sealed to more than one woman, but women can only be sealed to one man. (I've figured out the reason for this, but have my own opinions. However, they're not doctrine so I won't post them!)

Yes, what I meant to say. Sorry-

IME the whole 'planet' thing is trying to make us sound like a science-fiction cult. Otherwise it's been explained well already.

I am not LDS, but have studied with missionaries and spent quite a bit of time with a Bishop. Maybe the planet they were speaking of was the 3rd level of Heaven? Mormons go to the top level (unless you are an unmarried Mormon woman-however there is a chance that God will show grace).

I would like to address this, though, since I think it's not quite accurate. When we speak of the Celestial Kingdom, as Xuzi explained it's where families are eternal. When a married couple is sealed in the temple, that is supposed to be an eternal bond. To Mormons, marriage is a very central doctrine and marriage is required for certain things in heaven. However, I'd just like to say that there is nothing 'worse' about being a woman. Both men and women need to be sealed to do those things, so it's not like the single women are going to be left in the cold. We believe that everyone will have their chance, too, and while not everyone is going to be able to be married in mortality, no one will be punished for that.

To add some clarification:

We do NOT believe that only mormons will be in the Celestial Kingdom. It is open to ALL who accept His Son and are Baptised (whether in this life, or by Proxy after this life).

Also, we wear the Garment of the Holy Priesthood, not to show that we've been to the Temple, but to remind us of the Covenants we make in the Temple. It's kind of hard to forget them when you wear them on your body. :D Just as the Lord gave Ancient Israel specifications for certain holy garments they wore (such as the vestments of the Temple Priests) that reminded them of the Covenant He made with His People, so does the Garment of the Holy Priesthood remind me of His Covenant with me and of my Covenant with Him.

We do NOT believe that only mormons will be in the Celestial Kingdom. It is open to ALL who accept His Son and are Baptised (whether in this life, or by Proxy after this life).

I am suddenly reminded of a Sunday School teacher who was asked about this by a visitor and provided pretty much the above explanation with the ending "Seriously, can you imagine God not letting Gandhi into Heaven? Or Mother Theresa?"

Also, we wear the Garment of the Holy Priesthood, not to show that we've been to the Temple, but to remind us of the Covenants we make in the Temple. It's kind of hard to forget them when you wear them on your body. :D Just as the Lord gave Ancient Israel specifications for certain holy garments they wore (such as the vestments of the Temple Priests) that reminded them of the Covenant He made with His People, so does the Garment of the Holy Priesthood remind me of His Covenant with me and of my Covenant with Him.

:iagree: You explained it better then I could. :)

Is it a rule that you have to pay an actual 10%

That's what 'tithing' means, yes. At the same time, no one is going to check your income. At the end of each year, you go in and have a little appointment with the bishop (which is a nice opportunity for him to check in on everyone anyway) and he shows you a list of all your donations for the year. You check it over and make sure that it's correct. Then he asks how you would define yourself--full or partial tithe? And you say, 'yes, I have paid a full tithe' or 'I paid a partial tithe.' And that's the end. You're judging yourself; everyone is going to take your word for it.

But if you want to attend the temple, being a full tithe payer is one part of that. After all, in the temple we make more serious covenants; we consider tithing to be the lesser law, the minimum standard. It would not be right to lie about tithing and then go make covenants with God to live a higher standard that that! I'm sure there are people who do exactly that, but that's between them and the Lord.

Oh dear goodness I LOVE studying other religions!

Was Joseph Smith infallible? My question comes in light of studying the history of polygamy (not just in the LDS church).

Also do Latter-Day Saints believe the Bible to be infallible and do any other LDS sacred books contradict the scripture and what do you do with those contradictions. Here I am thinking mostly of the concept of eternal marriage.

Does God have a wife?

Are there any misconceptions people have about the LDS church that just bug you?

You ladies who are answering these questions are awesome! Hope you don't find mine annoying or offensive.

My responses in blue:

Was Joseph Smith infallible? My question comes in light of studying the history of polygamy (not just in the LDS church).

NO, he was not infallable. Only the Savior walked this earth perfectly. However, the Lord will never allow one of His Prophets to lead His children astray. (and I do not personally believe Polygamy was a mistake. I believe it served it's purpose and helped build and strengthen the church, then was stopped when it would have started causing more harm than good. I do not believe Polygamy goes against what God would have for His children)

Also do Latter-Day Saints believe the Bible to be infallible and do any other LDS sacred books contradict the scripture and what do you do with those contradictions. Here I am thinking mostly of the concept of eternal marriage.

ETA: Forgot to answer this one in my original post. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. It has been through the hands of thousands of men over thousands of years, and been translated nemerous times. We have no way of knowing what may have been ommitted or lost (whether purposely or accidentally) over all that time. Certainly nobody has the original scrolls upon which the Law of Moses was written, or the scroll of the book of Revelation written on by the hand of John.

And another poster here (I want to say MamaSheep?) explained best how we believe Eternal Marriage is not against the Bible, so I'll let her (or whoever it was :lol: ) address that one.

Does God have a wife?

We believe in a Heavenly Mother, yes, although that's about as much as we know.

Are there any misconceptions people have about the LDS church that just bug you?

That we're some super secrative controlling cult. I do not feel controlled at all. We have what appears to be more "rules" than other faiths, but they all fit back into the gospel. They all help me draw closer to Him and become who He wants me to be. There are some sacred things we don't talk about openly, but they are in no way nefarious or scandalous. I also don't like it when people ask me where my husband's other wife is. :glare:

You ladies who are answering these questions are awesome! Hope you don't find mine annoying or offensive.

Edited by Xuzi

No man is perfect. So (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), that includes Joseph Smith also.

No the Book of Mormon complements the Bible, it does not contradict it at all. A good friend of mine who was very dedicated to reading her Bible and attending church started listening to the missionaries lessons. She decided to read the Book of Mormon to compare it. She was surprised that it really just complemented the Bible. Nothing was contradictory. As far as the Bible goes, we belief it to be true and accurate so long as its translated correctly. There are many translations out there and often things can get lost in translating from one language to the next.

Does God have a wife?

Not quite sure how to answer this? Maybe a more seasoned LDS can answer this.

One that I had before I joined the church and bugs me now that I know the truth - that women are considered inferior to men in the church. SO not true. Men and women are part of an equal partnership in heading a family.

Was Joseph Smith infallible?

No. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are infallible. The rest of us do the best we can and leave the rest to God.

Also do Latter-Day Saints believe the Bible to be infallible and do any other LDS sacred books contradict the scripture and what do you do with those contradictions.

" 8We believe the aBible to be the bword of God as far as it is translated ccorrectly; we also believe the dBook of Mormon to be the word of God."

We have a living prophet to help with an 'Contradictions', very helpful.

Does God have a wife?

I think so.

the 'Horns' thing get a little old.;)

No one is infallible except God, and Joseph Smith was certainly not perfect. But I think the majority of Mormons (including me) would say that polygamy was truly a commandment from God for the LDS people of that time.

Here's the 8th Article of Faith: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

So we do not believe the Bible to be infallible; we believe it to be inspired, to contain lots of gospel truth, but also that truths have been lost or removed from it in the course of time. Even the Book of Mormon is not considered to be an infallible document in the way that evangelicals seem to consider the Bible to be; it has a verse right in it that says that if there are mistakes in it, they are the mistakes of men and not of God.

We don't really think that eternal marriage is contradicted in the Bible. But if there is confusion in the scriptures, we have a modern prophet and the right to ask for light and inspiration from God. The teachings of the current living prophet are always considered to supersede teachings from the past, as our needs might change (for example, the Word of Wisdom, our dietary rule about alcohol etc., is modern revelation that is for us, and was not given to those who lived in Biblical times).

Does God have a wife?
Yes, though we do not know a lot about her. We call her our Heavenly Mother.

Honestly, curiosity got the better of me and I wiki'ed the garment thing. And while not the exact same thing by any means, your temple garments sound similar, but still different, to the scapular that some Catholics wear. Your temple garments are actual clothes and a scapular is generally a couple scraps of cloth.

Now I'm allergic to to wool so once I got mine and went through the little ceremony I switched to a medal.

Makes me wonder if there are any other denominations/religions that have some sort of religious "clothing."

Thanks for starting this thread. I am fascinated! I love hearing about what other people believe, and I would much rather hear them tell it so I really understand it than get secondhand information that may be distorted.

I am an amatuer genealogist, and I am impressed by the research and care taken by the LDS in the area. But I have never had an LDS member explain the reasoning behind their interest in it and the baptisms that go along with it. And what happens if someone who was baptized wouldn't have wanted to be LDS?

Does God have a wife?

1. No, he wasn't. To my knowledge the only infallible person to have walked on this earth is Christ himself. I know of a lot of members who treat Joseph (and other prophets) as if they were infallible, but that is a personal thing and not doctrine.

2. Is the bible infallible... (ah, memories, a debate over this topic is how my DH and I met, lol). One of our articles of faith sums this one up pretty well "We believe the bible to be the word of God, as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God." So technically, I guess, we believe that bible is not infallible because so many men have translated/transcribed it over the centuries that many words and phrases have morphed or been entirely left out.

3. Yes. Marriage, eternal marriage, and the family is central to our belief.

4. I hate it when people tell me that because I'm LDS that I'm not Christian. For the most part I'm content to be a duck and let it roll off my back but there are always a few that insist that they will not leave me alone until I tell them that they're right. (Which I won't do, obviously. I once spent an hour hiding - by standing on the toilet - in a girl's bathroom because a lady just would not leave me be!)

Was Joseph Smith infallible?

No. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are infallible. The rest of us do the best we can and leave the rest to God.

Also do Latter-Day Saints believe the Bible to be infallible and do any other LDS sacred books contradict the scripture and what do you do with those contradictions.

" 8We believe the aBible to be the bword of God as far as it is translated ccorrectly; we also believe the dBook of Mormon to be the word of God."

We have a living prophet to help with an 'Contradictions', very helpful.

Does God have a wife?

I think so.

the 'Horns' thing get a little old.;)

What's with the horns thing? Its been mentioned twice now. LOL I've never heard of that one?

Hm, misconceptions that bug me--that women are considered inferior in our church. That Mormons are brainwashed and have obviously never examined their own beliefs. And that we are not Christians.

I have never felt anything other than a fully valued and equal woman in the LDS Church, and I have a perfectly good brain with which to think about truth. The truth that I believe is that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and that makes me a Christian. :)

Thanks for starting this thread. I am fascinated! I love hearing about what other people believe, and I would much rather hear them tell it so I really understand it than get secondhand information that may be distorted.

I am an amatuer genealogist, and I am impressed by the research and care taken by the LDS in the area. But I have never had an LDS member explain the reasoning behind their interest in it and the baptisms that go along with it. And what happens if someone who was baptized wouldn't have wanted to be LDS?

Here on Earth we just do the work and the ordinances... above all we believe in Free Will. Death isn't an ending of "Life", it is simply the loss of a physical body. The spirit of the person retains all of their Free Will. If the person does not wish to be a member/accept the ordinances than they simply don't.

Does God have a wife?

I'll add my piece here. No, Joseph Smith was not infallible. Only Jesus is. But we do place a lot of faith in the current prophet to do what the Lord wants him to in order to lead the Church correctly.

We do not believe the Bible is infallible, but it's not necessarily so much that it's wrong, but that it's sometimes incomplete, mistranslated, or misinterpreted. LDS scripture like the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants help fill in some of those gaps.

I have no idea if God has a wife. Since I believe that eternal marriage is very important, I assume He does.

I used to get bugged by misconceptions, but I think other religions are seriously more misunderstood than we are (for example, Islam), and it doesn't bother me much anymore.

Thanks for putting your self "out there" to answer questions.

I have learned a few things as I have read this thread.

One thing that is still unclear to me.....I see mention of the Temple. You must tithe for a year before you can enter it....how does one attend services to tithe if you cannot attend the temple. When I googled images of the Temple I found several images that all had different architecture. Is there only one temple or several? I have a Church of Latter Days Saints building down the road....what would that be called? (a temple?)

And perhaps my most pressing question......Do you have certain Mormon curriculuum that you follow like Catholoics or Anibaptists? or do you just use the same as everyone else?

Thanks for doing this ladies.....it is always interesting to see how different people from different faiths see the world and worship!