Menu

I want to buy an overhead projector--

The only potential problem with the cart is that it will take up quite a bit of room. If you have the space for it, it could be worth getting, especially if the projector is fairly heavy. (Ours is.) Also, the cart might have shelf space underneath it so you could use it to store things. You can definitely use the projector on a table, though -- it will work fine, but a cart with wheels will make it easier to position the projector where you need it in your classroom, and then move it back later. Moving a table is more of a nuisance.

Cat

The only potential problem with the cart is that it will take up quite a bit of room. If you have the space for it, it could be worth getting, especially if the projector is fairly heavy. (Ours is.) Also, the cart might have shelf space underneath it so you could use it to store things.

Cat

Oh, I didn't know they were heavy! Yeah, the thing about the cart is the space...hmm. It's not something I'd want out all the time--maybe a couple of times a year? But I was thinking I'd store it on an upper shelf in the closet when I didn't need it. Maybe that's not practical?

Perhaps a cart would be better. I could roll it to a closet/the garage when I'm not using it. Hmmm.

Some of them are heavier than others, but you'll know if it's manageable when you go to see it. If you don't have space in your room for the cart, I'd probably just try to put the projector in a closet and get it out when I needed it.

If you have to wheel it in and out of the garage every time you want to use it, you'll probably forget it's there or figure it's too much trouble to get it out to look at one or two maps, and it will live in the garage until you finally move out of your house and give it to someone else. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

Some of them are heavier than others, but you'll know if it's manageable when you go to see it. If you don't have space in your room for the cart, I'd probably just try to put the projector in a closet and get it out when I needed it.

If you have to wheel it in and out of the garage every time you want to use it, you'll probably forget it's there or figure it's too much trouble to get it out to look at one or two maps, and it will live in the garage until you finally move out of your house and give it to someone else. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

Oh, no, I don't want it for looking at maps, but making them. I've used projectors in the past (mostly when I was teaching & had easy access to one) for blowing up images & making posters, etc.

I think I'd keep it out for a bit like I do my sewing machine, then put it away. Right now the garage has easier access than my closet, but I think that's mostly because of the Christmas bomb, lol.

So you don't think the cart is necessary, & it wouldn't make it easier to get out? Maybe I'll skip it then.

Thank you!

So you don't think the cart is necessary, & it wouldn't make it easier to get out? Maybe I'll skip it then.

I think the cart would make it easier to get out and use, but I was just thinking that you might forget about the whole thing if it was out in the garage. Honestly, I think you could go either way with it. If the cart is inexpensive and seems sturdy, you might as well get it. If, later, you find that you don't need the cart for the projector, I'm sure you can use it for other things.

Cat

I think the cart would make it easier to get out and use, but I was just thinking that you might forget about the whole thing if it was out in the garage. Honestly, I think you could go either way with it. If the cart is inexpensive and seems sturdy, you might as well get it. If, later, you find that you don't need the cart for the projector, I'm sure you can use it for other things.

Cat

Yeah, she's selling the projectors for $10-20/ea, & the cart's are the same price. I guess I'll see if dh can go pick one up & then leave it up to him. :001_smile:

Either way, I'm so excited! :D

I worked with them for many years in schools... older ones are HEAVY, but newer ones tend to be extremely light. I wouldn't bother with a cart because if what you're wanting it for is primarily to be able to enlarge stuff onto a surface (the way people make easy murals, for example) then you'll end up playing with the exact placement of it anyway.

Wow, at that price, I'd get both if they were in decent shape! :)

Cat

Well, dh just called. He said the $10 carts didn't look sturdy/big enough & the $20 (I told him not to spend that much, anyway) wouldn't fit in his car. So he's bringing home a projector, & we're calling it good.

:D

Now he's going to have to put a lot of effort into convincing me to do NYE stuff instead of map/projector stuff! Eeeek. If he'd known, he might have said NO! :lol: