Menu

Murphy Strikes Again!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stoopid sound card in the stupid puter has apparently DIED.

I hate this freaking thing. I've replaced EVERYTHING on it but the tower case at least once, and its not even 6 yrs old.

I swear by all thats holy, I WILL get a MAC this year.

Hopefully before everything dies on the puter. *facepalm*

While I love my Macbook , it is not immune to Murphy's Law. It's the only computer I've had that died within the warranty period --- it blew it's logic board (mother board) within the first year of ownership, which would have been a $900 repair if it wasn't covered. It's hard to find ANYTHING of good quality anymore :glare:

While I love my Macbook , it is not immune to Murphy's Law. It's the only computer I've had that died within the warranty period --- it blew it's logic board (mother board) within the first year of ownership, which would have been a $900 repair if it wasn't covered. It's hard to find ANYTHING of good quality anymore :glare:

:iagree: We're a Mac family, too, but the SAME thing happened with my Macbook Pro within 8 months of owning it. It's been fine since they replaced the logic board, but, wow, what a surprise on such a new machine! Murphy's Law, indeed!

My husband uses my old Macbook, which is about 5 years old and it is on it's last legs. It's also on it's third power cord. Apple has notorious problems with their power cords :glare:.

We'll probably always have a Mac. I'm just not an Apple zealot :D! Though, I do know some.....

Tell me about it....

Murphy is having a field day with us.

Just today,

1. Ds woke up with a sore throat.

2. Cat puked twice on the carpet.

3. Sump pump quit on us... and we just had all the snow melt and it rained all day today. We ended up with a flooded basement (nephews bedroom is in basement along with our recreational room and washer/dryer).

4. I broke my USB ports on my laptop and now have to send it in for repair... and be without my laptop for who knows how long!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murphy if you are listening... enough please. I surrender!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to break it to you but in the world of computers (Windows based at least) 5-6 year old computers are positively ancient and most definitely not worth spending money to fix. From the technical standpoint, most computers are considered obsolete within a few months of hitting the shelf because technology is changing so fast. I consider it good if we get 3-4 years out of a computer. My husband works with computers and can tweak life out of machines that most consider to be boat anchors but even he would have a hard time getting a 6 years machine running.

That being said I know how frustrating it is because who actually has money to replace the computer every few years. I know we sure don't. My husband collects other people's old machines and cannabilizes them for parts just to keep us in working machines. I think our oldest machine is about 4 years now but we have 2 on the replace list whenever we can find the funds for it.

Not sure if you get the good sales in Canada that we do here but between Black Friday and mid January are the best time to buy machines price wise. We can usually find good ones for $200-$300 dollars.

Hope you can get something figured out without breaking the bank.

Computers are disposable. I've come to appreciate the joy of the $400 computer. If I get 2-3 years out of it, I'll be very happy to toss it in the recycle bin & replace it with another $400 computer. (Maybe $300 in 2 years.) Just go as cheap as will do the job you need for it right now, possibly adding 10-20% extra for a bit extra power or memory just to buy another 6 mos before it will be totally out of date.

I don't understand Macs. Or Mac users. :confused: Explain. Convince me. :lol:

Well, I don't think Mac users are that difficult to understand ;). In my case, I was frustrated by PC's and was looking for a better experience. I decided I would never know if it was worth it unless I tried it, so I saved up and gave it a try.

Computers are disposable. I've come to appreciate the joy of the $400 computer. If I get 2-3 years out of it, I'll be very happy to toss it in the recycle bin & replace it with another $400 computer. (Maybe $300 in 2 years.) Just go as cheap as will do the job you need for it right now, possibly adding 10-20% extra for a bit extra power or memory just to buy another 6 mos before it will be totally out of date.

This is probably a smart way to go, if you are looking for the best financial move. They ALL break down. If I had it to do over (and I'm sure I will in a few years), I'm not sure I could justify spending the money again on a Mac. Although I really do enjoy it more than any of my previous computers, it's just not THAT much better for the money it cost.