Menu

Question regarding Eastern Orthodox churches

My husband and I are intending to visit an Eastern Orthodox church this weekend. There are several in our area. The closest is a Romanian Orthodox Church, although I have to admit I was a bit frightened off, as their church bulletin is in Romanian.

One of the other churches states on their web site, "Our parish is made up of people from a wide variety of religious and ethnic backgrounds – some of us are “cradle Orthodox,†but most of us have come from traditions like Evangelical Protestant, Roman Catholic, Mormon, Episcopal, Baptist, non-denominational, Presbyterian, Disciples of Christ, Messianic Judaism, Quaker, etc. Ethnically, we are Russian, Ethiopian, Irish, Italian, Danish, Egyptian, Dutch, African-American, Brazilian, and more"

The other church that we are considering is Greek Orthodox. I really like what I have read about this church, although it is a bit of a drive. My general understanding is that the beliefs and practices of the orthodox churches are the same, but that their may be variations in customs and traditions. Can someone who is EO please shed some light on this.

BTW..if you are EO and live in the PNW valley, I would really LOVE to talk to you, if you have any knowledge of the churches in this area.

Thank you,

Krista

The PNW valley? As in Pacific Northwest? I'm in central Washington state, but am somewhat familiar with EO churches on the west side, too. AND you could always come to church with us this weekend! :D Or perhaps you meant elsewhere with "PNW valley".

There's a good chance that the services in both the Romanian and the Greek churches will be in those languages. That doesn't make it impossible of course, but if it's brand new to you, it might be nice to find one where services are in English if you can. Can I ask what the jurisdiction/affiliation is with the second one, where you copied/pasted the description? Take a look at this website: click here. Pretty much any of the churches shown in a search here will be a canonical Eastern Orthodox church (not all churches with the word "Orthodox" in their name, or description, would fall under the banner of Eastern Orthodox).

PM me if you want, or I'll watch back here.

The PNW valley? As in Pacific Northwest? I'm in central Washington state, but am somewhat familiar with EO churches on the west side, too. AND you could always come to church with us this weekend! :D Or perhaps you meant elsewhere with "PNW valley".

There's a good chance that the services in both the Romanian and the Greek churches will be in those languages. That doesn't make it impossible of course, but if it's brand new to you, it might be nice to find one where services are in English if you can. Can I ask what the jurisdiction/affiliation is with the second one, where you copied/pasted the description? Take a look at this website: click here. Pretty much any of the churches shown in a search here will be a canonical Eastern Orthodox church (not all churches with the word "Orthodox" in their name, or description, would fall under the banner of Eastern Orthodox).

PM me if you want, or I'll watch back here.

I PM'd you!

Thank you so much!

Krista

I

Milovany and I are friends--not to worry.

Uh, yeah -- didn't you see that I told Chucki that you and I would meet up with her to visit an EO church the next time she vacations in Seattle? Wouldn't that be fun? And it would be delightful to see you again ....