Menu

7th grade writing and literature-what to use-BJU??

I am using MCT-just starting Voyage level in about a month. I really like the grammar and writing, but I feel that there just isn't enough writing. I've been looking at BJU 7th grade and am curious how others liked/disliked this writing/grammar curriculum.

I'm also looking at BJU Literature. I did Lightning Lit 7 this year and it was very easy. I'm hoping for something a little more substantive. If you've used this program or found something better, could you please let me know??

Thanks!

I liked BJU through 6th grade. I did not like the 7th grade book nearly as much. I felt that the teacher's manual wasn't much help at all. There was very little diagramming in it and the writing instruction was very minimal compared to 6th grade. I switched dd to CLE for 8th grade grammar, and I've been very happy with it. I wish I had known about their program earlier.

She used CLE 7th grade literature last year and it was very good, too. It was just half a year's worth of work so there was plenty of time for real books. If I hadn't already purchased Sonlight for her literature, I would have had her do CLE's 8th grade and added in some novels like last year.

For writing, she has taken some outside classes with a wonderful retired English teacher, done Jump In by Apologia, and started using some IEW this year, but I don't think it is a good fit for her considering all the instruction she's already had. There is writing in CLE, and I'm having her do some of those assignments, but not all because she also has assignments in SL.

I like the reading selections in the BJU lit 7 (we got the whole book sources!), but as a functional program I've been enticed by Hewitt LL. Might be something else for you to look it.

Thanks! Just got through checking it out and it looks great! But if you use this for writing what are you planning on using for Grammar?

To be clear, I haven't used Hewitt's stuff yet. I'm just saying in retrospect I like what I see there. We've done Shurley for years and are attempting to finish out 7 this year. Don't know what we'll do after that. I've mulled around lots of things. Dd is a grammar hater, so I've been sticking with what works and treading slowly at the thought of change. :)

I have to admit to not being to enthused with LL. I chose it over BJU's Lit this year and I honestly think my ds would have enjoyed BJU better.

The only year we did a full year of BJU Lit was their 4th grade DVD Lit class. It was WONDERFUL and my ds absolutely loved it. I almost went with their 7th grade Lit last year and their 8th this...and chose instead to use TOG Lit for 7th, and LL for 8th. Next year, if I don't use Omnibus, I will go with BJU's 9th Lit before doing another LL. I used their (LL) British Lit for my middle son, and didn't care too terribly much for that one either, but it served it's purpose. Whereas he used BJU's American Lit fleshed out with some whole books and loved it.

I think LL is good, it's just not a good fit here. ;)