Menu

Hooked on Phonics 1st Grade users...

CookIslandsMommy

Hi there :)

Would someone be able to let me know how many lessons the 1st Grade HOP program has altogether (books 1 & 2).

I tried calling the Hooked on Phonics people and they told me they do not know this information...(even though the books have lessons numbered in them LOL).

I would really appreciate this, we are trying to plan our homeschooling year.

Regards

Sherid

Agreeing with the pp. The HOP books do not have numbered lessons. As I recall (it was a while back since we used them) from reading the introductory material you just move forward and let the child set the pace. We started K when my son had just turned 4. We then took a break but in the mean time I realized that he was ready to move on, so we just kept going and finished grade 2 just after his fifth birthday. HTH.

In the first level 3 Units and 15 lessons. In the 2nd level 3 units and 13 lessons. It will take at least a week if not more to complete each lesson because they also have readers that go along with some of the lessons. I hope that makes sense. If you have any other questions let me know I will try to answer them for you.

In the first level 3 Units and 15 lessons. In the 2nd level 3 units and 13 lessons. It will take at least a week if not more to complete each lesson because they also have readers that go along with some of the lessons. I hope that makes sense. If you have any other questions let me know I will try to answer them for you.

I don't know if the newer edition has divided them into lessons but ours just had the track numbers for each section. I wouldn't really call those lessons though because the child could just keep going if he/ she was able to, and that is what we did. The small booklet (leaflet really) from HOP just had some basic guidelines on how to use it. I just opened and checked one of our books and nope, no lesson numbers in ours.

With HOP, we just do the next page(s). With my oldest, I challenged him to 2-4 pages a day depending on the lesson. He loves to challenged. I also slowed downed/ reviewed as needed. With my second son, he wanted to end every lesson with a story. Needless to say, he flew through the books. He finished the entire program in just over 6 months. He was motivated to work on reading so he could read a new story each day and start reading books like his big brother faster. :001_smile: Take your time and follow your child's led. The books are easy enough to just do the next lesson and the built in review will let you know when to just slow it down or speed it up.