Menu

Has anyone ever felt a nerve like pain after touching their face?

Last night I wiped a hair away from my lips. I immediately felt a sharp pain radiating up my cheek and into my upper teeth on that side. I've googled and come up with Trigeminal neuralgia. I'm really hoping that this is NOT what it is and it's just a fluke.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thanks (trying to reduce my anxiety),

Karen

I do not know what the "common" term may be for what you googled, but it does sound like it could be the onset of shingles. Have you been exposed to anyone with chicken pox recently? Under a lot of stress? (Sheesh, who isn't, this time of year...)

Keep a close eye on it to see if a rash or any blisters develop. Drink a lot of water and get some rest.

I don't know about shingles - I've never had chicken pox. I've been exposed many, many times and have been told I"m one of those people who can't get it.

I do get migraines. I'm on topamax. No sign of a migraine. But all my upper teeth hurt today. The tooth that was zapped last night is the tooth that hurts on/off and no one can figure out why.

When I saw trigeminal neuralgia, I freaked out a bit. I asked my husband if that ever happened to him and he said no. I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks,

Karen

• 3 years later...

I was diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome 8 years ago, and was very very lucky that it was diagnosed within the first two weeks after the injury.  I had a full recovery after a year of physical therapy. But I know what that first diagnosis feels like.  I called my husband and said "divorce me now," and I was serious.  I was scared of the future and the progressive nature of the disease.  But there are lots of options for these things, and I think you need to take a deep breadth, do some research, and live day by day. Do not live in fear of the future. 

I would recommend that you learn to meditate.  Pain can be isolated in your mind and evaluated from afar.  I was able to think of the pain as an entity separate from myself and that was very helpful.

I hope that you find some relief. :grouphug:

Ruth in NZ

Last night I wiped a hair away from my lips. I immediately felt a sharp pain radiating up my cheek and into my upper teeth on that side. I've googled and come up with Trigeminal neuralgia. I'm really hoping that this is NOT what it is and it's just a fluke.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thanks (trying to reduce my anxiety),

Karen

My sister had this, for months she had sensitivity and horrible pain in her face.  It did go away eventually but she can't use any power tools that cause vibration or ride roller coasters (the shaking) without serious pain. And yes, when I read your description that is exactly what I thought it might be.  I'd wait and see for now, if it happens again then I would see a Dr. (although there was little they could do for my sister).

That happens to me, and has since my late teens, with no progression, just sharp radiating pain on the left side of my face near my teeth when someone touches it a certain way. All I can figure is that it started after I got my wisdom teeth removed, so maybe a complication from surgery, or it is related to migraines, which I also get, or it is something else entirely. It hurts a lot when it happens but resolves quicky, so I haven't tried to treat it, just tried to teach my kids not to touch that side of my face.