Menu

I'm thinking New Year's resolutions and thinking about "becoming a fabulous cook"

I'm a good cook but not great. Or maybe, I'm a great cook at what I do but what I do is pretty limited.

I think I'd like a book or website to get me started and lead me through becoming a fabulous Vegetarian cook. Step by step or lesson by lesson would be good, too.

Any good ideas?

I'm thinking trying to be very frugal for most of the week and then making a fabulous meal a couple of days per week . . . which wouldn't have to be expensive to be fabulous, I guess.

Anyway, any and all ideas more than welcome!

My recommendation is to start with an ingredient and cook in it all sorts of ways until you really understand that ingredient, how it works, where it works, what is traditionally done, etc. Then you'll be able to do what isn't traditionally done but tastes mighty good anyway. We've been taking such a journey with this book: http://www.amazon.com/Miso-Book-Art-Cooking/dp/0757000282/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293762038&sr=8-1

:)

Rosie

We have Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" and it is a big complete cookbook. He also explains about various techniques and has a lot of variations for each recipe.

Another cookbook that I get a lot of inspirations (but don't actually use many recipes) is The Vegetarian Bistro. She traveled through France and recorded Vegetarian Bistro recipes and converted regular Bistro recipes into Vegetarian recipes. She describes where she tasted the recipe and it makes it sound so good. She was always find a little bistro on a cold day and having a fabulous meal.

One thing that I've learned about cooking is that it is not the recipes, it having excellent ingredients. One of the best have to have excellent ingredients is to grow them yourself.

Good luck.