Menu

I'm on the phone w/ the library...

I returned a couple of movies on Mon, & they're still not showing checked in. They're due back today, so I gave them a call.

How did she know which two movies I was talking about w/out me saying? We've got more than that out. :glare: She's checking the shelves, but what on earth can that mean?

A few weeks ago, we returned books at another branch, & they put one back on the shelves w/out checking it in. It belonged to another branch, so I was on the phone several times looking for that one.

They're making me nervous! :001_unsure:

Are they the only movies you had checked out which were due today? If I was a library worker I would've seen those and assumed those were the ones you were calling about.

I agree with pp's -- if you have repeated problems with things not getting checked in properly, bring them up to the desk and ask for them to be checked in and for a check-in receipt. You may have to wait for several minutes, and they may be somewhat annoyed, but it'll be worth it.

Are they the only movies you had checked out which were due today? If I was a library worker I would've seen those and assumed those were the ones you were calling about.

Oh, ok. They are the only ones due today--I didn't tell her that, but I guess it makes sense that she assumed.

I agree with pp's -- if you have repeated problems with things not getting checked in properly, bring them up to the desk and ask for them to be checked in and for a check-in receipt. You may have to wait for several minutes, and they may be somewhat annoyed, but it'll be worth it.

They were backlogged on Mon, which I understand. She just came back on & told me they probably got sent on to the branch they belong to & "weren't properly checked in there." But...don't you guys check them in, too? "Well, yes, but we were really behind on Mon, so maybe they just got put on the truck."

Huh. So the other library didn't do the check-in "properly," but we can't call them yet because they probably don't have the movies yet, as the truck *just* came.

But she renewed them, so I guess that's good. The other problem I had was at a different branch--first time I'd used that one. It took them several days to check everything in, so I held out for the one last book, & finally had to call.

These are the first problems I've had, but gosh. I have so many books out right now, I feel really fortunate that I *know* I returned those so I'm not killing myself looking for them here.

And like I said...they're making me nervous!

(I know I can wait & get a receipt, but some of them are so snotty about it, & I've already got a cartload of books to checkout, a cartload to return, & a cartload of kids. Ugh. Plus there's after-hours. Can't do much about that.)

*If* these movies become a problem, your experience last week is your proof that they mess up. I know our library messes up (I work there); the worst thing is when a patron says, Well, I found my other books on the shelf that you said weren't checked in, I bet that's what happened this time too. :glare: Everyone makes mistakes, including the library. They can't property account for every.single.item, and even if they can't find your movies, it IS possible that someone else took them after you turned them in and before they were checked in (or not, in this case).

Stand your ground!