Menu

Kindle Book Lending Now Available

Today, we're pleased to launch Kindle Book Lending, a new feature that lets you loan Kindle books to anyone you choose. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle. Kindle books can be read on Kindle or using our free Kindle reading applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. Each eligible book can be lent once for a period of 14 days. Not all e-books are lendable - the publisher or rights holder determines which titles are enabled for lending. For more information on how to loan Kindle books, please visit http://www.amazon.com/kindle-lending.

This is good, but I don't like that the books cannot be loaned more than once.

Today, we're pleased to launch Kindle Book Lending, a new feature that lets you loan Kindle books to anyone you choose. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle. Kindle books can be read on Kindle or using our free Kindle reading applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. Each eligible book can be lent once for a period of 14 days. Not all e-books are lendable - the publisher or rights holder determines which titles are enabled for lending. For more information on how to loan Kindle books, please visit www.amazon.com/kindle-lending.

It's a good start, though. Thanks for sharing!

Here it is: the WTM Kindle book sharing group:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=134

Please go list what Kindle books you have available and what you want to trade for. Note that not all books that you own are sharable: you will need to go under "manage my Kindle" and see if a title has "loan" next to it.

Today, we're pleased to launch Kindle Book Lending, a new feature that lets you loan Kindle books to anyone you choose. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle. Kindle books can be read on Kindle or using our free Kindle reading applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. Each eligible book can be lent once for a period of 14 days. Not all e-books are lendable - the publisher or rights holder determines which titles are enabled for lending. For more information on how to loan Kindle books, please visit www.amazon.com/kindle-lending.

Those are the same terms for the Nook book lending feature, or at least they were back around Mother's Day when I got my Kindle. The lending feature was so restrictive, it wasn't enough to tip the scale in favor of the Nook for me.

Still, it's a start. I was excited to see this announced on FaceBook this morning (I 'like' Amazon Kindle and get all the news updates that way).

I'm sure there will be more "lendable" ones soon - when you publish a book on the Kindle you get two choices:

1. If you choose to earn 70% of cover price, you MUST make your book available to lend.

2. If you choose to earn only 35% of cover price, you may make your book not lendable.

Now, I'm sure they have different contracts with the different big publishers.

I had a weird reaction to this announcement as a Kindle author. On one hand, I didn't like being told by Amazon that this was happening after the fact. I wish they would have given me notice. But that never happens with Amazon - they change the rules, then tell the content creators.

On the other hand, as an audio book publisher I'm a proponent of DRM-free files. I don't like it when people purchase things and then are limited to how they can use them.

I guess at this point everything Amazon does just makes me mad.