Menu

The advantage of staying with the IOWA is that you can make year-by-year comparisons to see how he has grown from one year to the next. When interpreting scores of a child with learning disabilities, usually it is best not to take too much stock in composite scores, but to see how the individuual subtest scores fare each year.

One advantage of doing the PASS, or the Stanford-10 for another option, is that they are untimed. If you think your son would do better with extra time, that could be a factor in favor of making a switch. The PASS can be given at home; the SAT-10 must be given in a group that includes non-related children by someone who has been approved to give it.

I used the PASS years ago when my girls were young. When my son was younger we used the SAT-10 for a few years because we had a local homeschool mom who organized group testing each year for several years. My son was formally tested for learning disabilities last spring. Looking back, I can see that the untimed test put ds in his best light because it accommodated for his processing speed issues. I think his scores were consistant with his knowledge base because he was able to taking the "thinking time" necessary to do his best.

You may be able to get accommodations such as taking the test untimed (I have no idea whether the test you are using is timed).

I have a friend who got accommodations for dyslexia on the SAT in high school (I think it was untimed and maybe no writing? not sure) and the difference in her scores from taking it without the accommodations was huge.

It is still months away, but I'm already thinking about standardized testing for my dyslexic ds. Since beginning homeschooling, we have always tested in April using IOWA tests from BJU. The tests are not required by the state, but serve as a benchmark / accountability piece for me and dh.

LLD ds has always struggled with the LA portion of the test, specifically the Spelling, Capitalization, and Puctuation subtests. Last year, his scores on these three tests were abysmal and pulled down his LA composite (even scoring at Kindergarten level on one test). The Reading and Usage portions were more in line with his actual abilities (though not quite at grade level). For this year, I am thinking about skipping those three subtests. Does anyone know how it would effect the scoring? I am not trying to artifically inflate his scores, but I *know* he won't do well there, we are *already* working on it, and I *hate* forcing him through that portion of the test. (Last year, there was a total meltdown that ended up with both of us in tears :crying:)

OTOH, I am also looking at another type test all together, maybe the PASS test offered by Hewitt? I know there is a much smaller sample norm for this test, but maybe it would be better suited to the situation? However, if we stay with the IOWAs, at least I have a record of how he has progressed year over year using the same 'measuring stick'.

Already stressed and our testing date is still months away (sigh) ...........

Last year my son tried a portion of the reading test, then resorted to simply filling in bubbles at random. Except for that standardized test, I had my son on only controlled reading to prevent him from devoloping the habit of guessing at words when he read, so it is probably just as well that he didn't continue reading the test material. His test scores weren't all that bad especially for someone with dyslexia who couldn't read the reading test.

My son's filling in bubbles at random reminded me of a similar story from childhood about a guy I knew. He wasn't dyslexic and he was really, really smart. On standardized tests in grammar school, he and his friend raced to see who could fill in the bubbles on the answer sheet the fastest. :lol: Boys.

Don't stress. These standardized tests are there to serve you and your son, not to cause you stress.

For the past two years my dyslexic son (age 14) has been given an extended time accommodation on the ITBS. It has made a huge difference in his scores (upwards of 50 percentile points)--*and* the scores match the academic achievement I see every day at home, meaning that he is advanced and works more slowly than the average bear.

I used the PASS test with him for several years (grades 3-5) until he maxed out the math subtest.

I highly recommend that you allow your child an extended time accommodation or simply use the PASS test, which also has the benefit of being shorter. As for the norming sample for the PASS test, just use the score they give compared to the national group rather than the homeschooling group and you'll have much more relevant information.

You are all braver than me :)

I will not use tests on my dyslexic - they would discourage and frustrate us both. Many dyslexics are abysmal at multiple choice - he's one of them.

One of the main reasons we started homeschooling was that testing is not required in Florida :)