Menu

s/o CSMP Math -- Printing?

Amy Jo

I took another look at CSMP (finally figured out the "computer" thanks to all of you!). I think this might help my concrete DS8 with skip counting (MEP is now skip counting starting with numbers like 37, and DS just stares at me like I'm nuts :confused:) and I think he would like the number computer calculator.

We do MEP as our primary, so I'm not interested in printing any drill/practice type pages. The other pages use color coding and don't have much printed on them anyway (dots and lines).

Since I only have my B&W printer atm, can I just make a number computer for him to use, and then draw the other stuff on the whiteboard? I'm thinking of starting him with the Primary Entry Supplement.

Thanks!

Amy

We do MEP as our primary, so I'm not interested in printing any drill/practice type pages. The other pages use color coding and don't have much printed on them anyway (dots and lines).

Since I only have my B&W printer atm, can I just make a number computer for him to use, and then draw the other stuff on the whiteboard? I'm thinking of starting him with the Primary Entry Supplement.

Thanks!

Amy

I am using the Primary Entry Supplement also. If you watch the videos on the site, it will help with some explanation of how the mini-computer is used.

For b/w printing, I would advise going back over the pages with a colored pencil, as some of the arrows are colored a certain way for a reason. That's what I have done anyway. It might take some extra time to do so, but it's worth the savings in colored ink.

I can't find a link for the post in which I described making mini-computers, but here's what I did. I got scrapbook paper to match the colors of the boxes on the mini-computer and cut them into 3" squares. These I glued (with a glue stick) onto a square of poster board (from Dollar Tree) 6 1/2" square, so as to leave a small margin on the sides of the boxes. ( This will make one mini-computer.) I used cream, red, magenta, and brown paper for the squares (same as CSMP colors). I made several of these, as you will need more than one when you go to the tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. They are quick and easy to make.

I used some of those small round glass stones from Dollar Tree for the markers, and to show negative numbers for the *Eli the Elephant* lesson, I spray painted them black, then drew on a ^ mark on the top with a silver marker. You will also need to make some attribute blocks if you use those parts of the lesson, and you might also want to make a large Venn diagram and laminate it for that work.

I use the dry-erase board daily for these lessons. It's helpful to have colored dry-erase markers, especially for the arrow lessons. We love CSMP. I find that it dovetails with MEP at some lessons in the Primary Entry Supplement. I hope you have as much fun as we have had! :)

Editing to say also that the colored stones work well for the lessons, as some lessons will say put so many red markers and then so many blue markers on a square (to find values). It was helpful that the bag of stones came in red, blue, yellow and green (they look kind of like the inside of a marble to me).

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

One more thought....

You might think about printing the schedule for the Primary Entry Supplement, and then printing the lesson and worksheets to go with the lessons up front. Actually, there's a bit of printing, so you might not want to print it all at one time. I think I just did a week's worth at a time. I hope I'm making sense here. What I'm trying to say is that you might want to print and assemble this together as you go, so that the worksheets are with the lessons. It took me a bit to figure it out, but there are separate downloads for each section---Strings and Arrows, Geometry, World of Numbers, and Workbooks.

A printable Venn diagram is at ReadWriteThink.

Almost everything in CSMP is stuff you do with your child on a whiteboard or with manipulatives. If you have a computer nearby when you are teaching, you can easily copy onto your whiteboard. Occasionally, there are diagrams that are easier printed than drawn, but they are certainly not impossible to replicate by hand.

I'm so sorry, I think I misread your question. You don't want to print, right?

Yes, as Tracy just posted, you can use the whiteboard and markers.

If you have a magnetic board, you could make the attribute blocks and laminate or cover with contact paper and glue magnets on the back for the Venn diagram work. Actually, you could use a cheap cookie pan from Dollar Tree and just draw a Venn diagram and use the magnets with that too.

I'd better stop while I'm ahead, as I'm probably just babbling now...

Thank you - I think I'll use the white board. And the cookie sheet too - I have the magnet tape so that will be easy.

Now I just have to figure out what parts and what order to use the pieces in.

Edited by mtcougar832
clarity