Menu

Need a world map for The Core geography exercise...

Capt_Uhura

I really like the National Geographic Atlas for Student Explorers. The National Geographic is essentially the same thing, but a published a few years ago. It's also a few dollars less.

DMaps Has nice outline maps, but I think only latitude lines.

Eduplace also has free outline maps

The best thing you can do is find an atlas that you like and trace the world with some of the latitude and longitude lines on your drawing. Then, use that as your model/tool for future drawings.

I bought those world map placemats. I then used Sharpies to draw a simplified outline around each continent, and to trace the Arctic Circle, Equator, etc.

I do NOT let them trace, and my kiddos are 5 1/2 & 4. They are able, with practice, to draw very rough (but recognizable) outlines. In fact, they can probably do a better job than most adults in America at this point!

The real plus to the placemats is that they look at them while they are waiting for dinner to be served, anytime we talk about "Aunt Helen in Montana", when they overhear us talking about the earthquake in Chile, or when their school friend is going to India for the summer. They LOVED tracking Santa across the world last week using that NORADSANTA.org. They really enjoy it finding places that are relevant, and can point out more places than I can!

I bought those world map placemats. I then used Sharpies to draw a simplified outline around each continent, and to trace the Arctic Circle, Equator, etc.

I do NOT let them trace, and my kiddos are 5 1/2 & 4. They are able, with practice, to draw very rough (but recognizable) outlines. In fact, they can probably do a better job than most adults in America at this point!

The real plus to the placemats is that they look at them while they are waiting for dinner to be served, anytime we talk about "Aunt Helen in Montana", when they overhear us talking about the earthquake in Chile, or when their school friend is going to India for the summer. They LOVED tracking Santa across the world last week using that NORADSANTA.org. They really enjoy it finding places that are relevant, and can point out more places than I can!

Oohh! Really good idea! I have a couple of these that have lat. & long. lines. I'll have to break them out!

I will take a look for those! Thanks! I have two good ones in my atlas but they are 8.5x18" long. I think in The Core she wanted a map that was 8.5x11 so that DC will look at it and practice drawing it the same scale as the one they are looking at. You start by just drawing the latitude lines, then you draw circles for the continents on those lines etc. I just can't find a nice clean, 8.5x11 map w/ latitude lines and the Prime Meridian.

Oohh! Really good idea! I have a couple of these that have lat. & long. lines. I'll have to break them out!

Be sure you coordinate your colors. In our house, purple is for North America, magenta is for South America, green is for Europe, aqua for the Arctic Circle, red for the Tropic of Cancer, etc. Everybody's map uses the same colors. The huge wall map uses the same colors. Even the globe - I used a Sharpie to outline the continents & trace the major lines.

When we draw the maps, we use those color crayons. "Everybody get out your dark orange crayon! Let's look at Africa. Is it north or south of the equator? Is it east or west of the Prime Meridian? What shape is it? YES! A rectangle sitting right on top of the equator, with a corner cut off the top, and a triangle below!" Etc. etc. I guide them through placing the rectangle & the triangle.

--------------------------------------------------------------

We do a "hotdog" fold (longways) and a "hamburger fold" (shortways) first. Draw equator & PM. Add Tropic of Can, Trop of Capri, Arctic C & Antartic Circle. You HAVE to have these lines BEFORE adding any continents!!!

THEN go to continents. I always start with Africa b/c it is in the middle. If you start with some of the others, and they draw too big, they can't keep going b/c they are out of room! If Africa is oversized, they can still put other continents on the map, they just end up a little skinny! :) If you do Africa FIRST, then Europe, then Asia, you are much better off than if you start on the left side of the map and work your way over, like would naturally be your inclination!

I will take a look for those! Thanks! I have two good ones in my atlas but they are 8.5x18" long. I think in The Core she wanted a map that was 8.5x11 so that DC will look at it and practice drawing it the same scale as the one they are looking at. You start by just drawing the latitude lines, then you draw circles for the continents on those lines etc. I just can't find a nice clean, 8.5x11 map w/ latitude lines and the Prime Meridian.

Find one you like, and just take it to the copy store & shrink it to the size you want. 60ish percent should work to go from 8.5x18 to letter size.

Be sure …… If you do Africa FIRST, then Europe, then Asia, you are much better off than if you start on the left side of the map and work your way over, like would naturally be your inclination!

Thank you for such a detailed post. It's great to read how others are approaching this.