Menu

Dh's bosses found out about his interview.

It isn't really clear how it came about, but they found out about it today and he was called into the main office for a meeting.

He said he was just honest with them - he can't support his family on what they are paying him, he wasn't actively looking for another job but this one just came up, and he was sorry, but he had to do what was best for his family.

His direct supervisor told him he would be sorry to lose him and good luck in his interview. The boss over him just thanked him for being honest and asked that he keep him in the loop as to what was going on.

Not bad, I guess, except that it would have been better if they had never known. He probably won't get the job (it's a long shot and he only got the interview because we knew someone who knew someone there.) I guess it says something that they even cared - as the president of the company said to them at a meeting last month - "there are thousands of people who would love to have your job.":glare:

It's too bad because if there *had* been a promotion or other position open, he won't get it now.:glare:

No don't say "He probably won't get the job", you never know what happens. ;)

Trust me, it is better all around to assume it isn't likely. It *is* a long shot, but possible - we wouldn't have paid for the plane ticket if it weren't. The unemployment rate in the construction industry in NC is more than 20%. On top of that, this is a construction-related job with a municipality.

We're just not getting our hopes up.

Is it possible that someone from the interviewing compnay called dh current employer to check references? I'm sure dh kept in on the "down-low" so-to-speak... but prospective employers aren't always that careful.

Maybe. Dh put in for 2 days vacation (so he could go to the interview) and it may have come up somehow. IDK - how they found out is really neither here nor there, now.

Another way to look at it. . . if they value him, and a promotion or raise $$ becomes available, he might be first in line if they think that will hold him.

Truly.

As an employer, when we know one of ours is "looking", we do what we reasonably can to hold them.

We try to assess every team member each year to keep pay/perks fair across the board, but from time to time, we've considered upping pay/perks for an individual to hold them. Knowing they might leave always sharpens their value (or not, lol) in your mind. If you like them, you do what you can to hold them. It is VERY expensive and traumatic to replace people. Yes, 1000 other folks want your job, but it costs an average of a year's salary to hire and train a new hire. A YEAR. Yes, a YEAR's. Google "cost of replacement staff" and you'll see plenty of data.

We've given raises when we had to match another offer. . . We've given promotions/perks. . . We can only do what we can do, and won't pay (much) more for one staff if another is equivalent/better. . .

We wouldn't take someone out of consideration for a promotion *if* we thought the promotion would HOLD them. Now, if we think they are on their way out no matter what we can do (moving out of state for spouse, changing fields, need way more $$ than we can offer), THEN it does take them out of consideration for perks/training/promotion. If we want them, and think a promotion/raise might hold them, then they'd get serious consideration. . .

So, if I were your dh, I'd do my best to let my bosses know that I would LOVE to stay at this company forever, and that being considered for a promotion/raise would make that possible long term. . . Meanwhile, start early, stay late, volunteer for everything, learn, be invaluable, be a good team player. . . It'll all pay off eventually.

you might be surprised, my DH got a fat raise when he interviewed somewhere else. Sometimes you don't value something until you think someone else wants it.

Meanwhile, start early, stay late, volunteer for everything, learn, be invaluable, be a good team player. . . It'll all pay off eventually.

He is an hourly worker in a manual labor job - he is a great employee, but they can get someone else to do his job without a whole lot of effort. It has to do with where he works - if they were to advertise an opening for a low-skill job at his place of employment, thousands of people from all over the country would probably show up!:lol:

As he and the other guys say, "They're living the dream!":lol: They don't get paid much, but they do get to see all of the events from "behind the scenes" and get to meet celebrities at times.;)

:auto:

It isn't really clear how it came about, but they found out about it today and he was called into the main office for a meeting.

He said he was just honest with them - he can't support his family on what they are paying him, he wasn't actively looking for another job but this one just came up, and he was sorry, but he had to do what was best for his family.

His direct supervisor told him he would be sorry to lose him and good luck in his interview. The boss over him just thanked him for being honest and asked that he keep him in the loop as to what was going on.

Not bad, I guess, except that it would have been better if they had never known. He probably won't get the job (it's a long shot and he only got the interview because we knew someone who knew someone there.) I guess it says something that they even cared - as the president of the company said to them at a meeting last month - "there are thousands of people who would love to have your job.":glare:

It's too bad because if there *had* been a promotion or other position open, he won't get it now.:glare:

Actually, he might. Now that they know he will leave if he can they may have more of an incentive to find him something better paying within the company, in order to keep him around. I've seen that happen several times.

Another way to look at it. . . if they value him, and a promotion or raise $$ becomes available, he might be first in line if they think that will hold him.

So, if I were your dh, I'd do my best to let my bosses know that I would LOVE to stay at this company forever, and that being considered for a promotion/raise would make that possible long term. . .

:iagree: This is what I was thinking too.

He is an hourly worker in a manual labor job - he is a great employee, but they can get someone else to do his job without a whole lot of effort. It has to do with where he works - if they were to advertise an opening for a low-skill job at his place of employment, thousands of people from all over the country would probably show up!:lol:

As he and the other guys say, "They're living the dream!" They don't get paid much, but they do get to see all of the events from "behind the scenes" and get to meet celebrities at times.;)

:iagree: Sorry, but my dh worked for the same corporation for a period of time. After multiple manipulative attempts to wiggle out of the raise they promised him, he quit. They probably don't give a rats derrière about Renee's dh, they probably wanted to know if they should start scheduling interviews to replace him. :glare::glare: :glare::glare:

They seriously don't have to pay a living wage because she's not exaggerating that thousands of people would be willing to take his spot for what he's being paid. We survived a season like that only because we had sold a house and had a lot of equity.

Sorry, Renee. :grouphug:

:iagree: Sorry, but my dh worked for the same corporation for a period of time. After multiple manipulative attempts to wiggle out of the raise they promised him, he quit. They probably don't give a rats derrière about Renee's dh, they probably wanted to know if they should start scheduling interviews to replace him. :glare::glare:

They seriously don't have to pay a living wage because she's not exaggerating that thousands of people would be willing to take his spot for what he's being paid. We survived a season like that only because we had sold a house and had a lot of equity.

Sorry, Renee. :grouphug:

I knew you would understand!;) It's really too bad, because for him the job was about "living the dream!":lol: (For those who don't get the reference, it is from Talledega Nights.)

He told me how the conversation went - the boss approved the vacation days even though they normally don't allow them after the first of the year, and then told him not to "jump from the frying pan to the fire." He told dh not to move on for $2 an hour more because it wouldn't be enough to make a difference. Dh told him that he wouldn't go for that little. (For the record, a $2 an hour raise would be a 20% raise!:001_huh:)

It will all work out somehow. If he gets the job he is interviewing for, he'll move and we will stay here until school gets out. If he doesn't get the job, I'll look for full-time work in NC starting after the busy season is over. Then he can quit and stay home with the dc for awhile.

:iagree: I would agree... nowadays, employers understand the economic factor. I would think they would appreciate his honest candor too. So sorry this happened. ((HUGS))

:iagree::grouphug:

I remember 20+ years ago having the experience then your Dh is having now. I did three interviews and in the end the business I wanted to work for hired me.