Menu

anyone have dc take consumer or business math

my dd is in 10th grade and taking algebra 2. Math is her best subject but she has no interest in doing any higher math than she is now. Her plans are to start community college next year, take all her required classes for her AA and then go into Culinary School. Her AA req. do not include any math. However, I was wondering if I should have her take a business or consumer math just in case she has her own catering business some day. If so, can anyone recommend a good business math book? My dh, is writing an entrepeneurship class for next year so maybe I will have her take that instead (the price is right lol).

we did meet with an advisor. The academic req. for an AA in culinary arts are:

2 semseters composition

1 semester history

1 semester Intro to Computers

1 semster General Humanties

1 semester fine arts

1 semester general education

1 semester chemistry

and then tons of specialized culinary classes

dd would have rather taken a math class instead of the chemistry but the advisor said no, that dd cannot sub. math in for any of the other classes.

we did meet with an advisor. The academic req. for an AA in culinary arts are:

2 semseters composition

1 semester history

1 semester Intro to Computers

1 semster General Humanties

1 semester fine arts

1 semester general education

1 semester chemistry

and then tons of specialized culinary classes

dd would have rather taken a math class instead of the chemistry but the advisor said no, that dd cannot sub. math in for any of the other classes.

We don't have a culinary program at our cc. It'd be yummy if we did! :tongue_smilie:

You may want to check prereqs though - for the computer course and chemistry course. Be sure her math meets those requirements. Some chem classes are fine with just Algebra 2 - others will want college algebra. Generally a placement test will be used to verify.

I don't have any text suggestions, but for business, being sure she can balance a checkbook, understand interest (both for checking/savings/CDs etc but also for loans). Maybe have her "help" with taxes (if you're comfortable showing your finances - if not, giving some made up data for her to fill out paperwork for).

You could see if the cc has a business math class and if the syllabus is posted, use it to check out the text.

(I always encourage people who are good in math to keep going. It provides so many more options. I worked in the tutoring center in college for extra money since I had the math background.)

- Neither of our DSs are going into math/science fields. (Like your DD, our older DS is quite good in math, and even did Foerster's Alg. 2/Trig textbook.)

- Both plan on going to the local Community College for either a 2-year degree (both interested in different aspects of Media/Digital Arts), or at least to get through their Gen. Ed. coursework at a much cheaper rate before transferring to the local state university.

- Both only went/will only go up through Algebra 2.

- Both have taken/will take Abeka's Consumer Math program. (The Bob Jones Consumer Math is very similar, and more up-to-date. Both Abeka and Bob Jones are Christian in point of view, in case that is a help or a hinderance to you.)

I HIGHLY recommend going through the Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance DVD/workbook series with your DD -- extremely practical, foundational, helpful, sound financial advice for everyday ordinary living. We are counting it as part of our Economics credit, but you could also probably count the hours towards a Consumer Math credit.

As part of the Community College 2-year degree, they would still need to take College Algebra; since that is the case, I'm just going to let them take it at that time, so they can use their last year of high school doing a dual credit class or two for their foreign language credit and to try out a media/digital arts class as an elective, to see if that's the direction they really are interested in.

The only issue you might run into would be what your state high school graduation requirements are as far as math credits. I take it from your name that you are in NJ -- from what I could google search, looks like these are your required standards:

Language Arts Literacy -- 20 credits aligned to grade 9 to 12 standards

Math -- 15 credits including algebra I content (effective with the 2008-2009 9th grade class), geometry content (effective with the 2010-2011 9th grade class), and a third year of math that builds upon algebra I and geometry and prepares students for college and 21st century careers (effective with the 2012-2013 9th grade class)

Science -- 15 credits including laboratory biology (effective with the 2008-2009 9th grade class); chemistry, environmental science or physics (effective with the 2010-2011 9th grade class); and an additional lab/inquiry-based science (effective with the 2012-2013 9th grade class)

Social Studies -- 15 credits including histories and integrated civics, economics, geography, and global content

Economics -- 2.5 credits in financial, economic, business and entrepreneurial literacy (effective with the 2010-2011 9th grade class)

Don't know how to advise, but just wanted to share we plan to do something similar. :) BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

my dd is in 10th grade and taking algebra 2. Math is her best subject but she has no interest in doing any higher math than she is now. Her plans are to start community college next year, take all her required classes for her AA and then go into Culinary School. Her AA req. do not include any math. However, I was wondering if I should have her take a business or consumer math just in case she has her own catering business some day. If so, can anyone recommend a good business math book? My dh, is writing an entrepeneurship class for next year so maybe I will have her take that instead (the price is right lol).

We did. I typed up this when it was fresher in my mind:

• What we did was create our own from several materials.

We tried some of the textbook versions & I felt they were too "math" oriented and not enough "consumer" oriented -- if that makes sense? In other words, they were designed to teach/use specific math skills and the consumer part seemed stuck in there for "fun examples." Whereas I was looking for something that was designed to teach consumer skills first, and the math skills were added where appropriate. We had or looked at a few textbooks such as Abeka and/or BJU, but I can't remember.

We used an AGS book on budgeting. It is my impression that AGS is used by schools for non-college-bound math & such. Therefore, it is more practical & focused on real-life skills. The assignments are fairly easy, as you are given a "pretend" person to work with, and exact income & expenses are given in the book.

We also used Larry Burkett's Money Matters for Teens, although the assignments weren't as easy to work with because the student was supposed to actually do everything in their own life, rather than having a practice model to work with, but maybe that's better? There were some good lessons on giving that weren't in the AGS book. (You don't need the "book," only the "workbook.") My Father's World now has "Personal Finance" lesson plans for this book.

We also added a few other things like opening a bank account & whatnot. You could do more, as well, depending on how much credit you wanted to earn. For instance, cut out ads for apartments, call with specific questions on costs, keep records, calculate comparisons, etc. Then do the same for the other topics. We didn't do this, but it's just a thought.

Alpha Omega has separate booklets for topics, so you could literally just do the sections you want.

I have also heard that Math-U-See has a new level for money management, but haven't seen it yet.

Note that in all cases, the topics are designed for late high school, when students are starting to think about cars, apartments, checking accounts, and such.

HTH, Julie

I want to cover graphing and Microsoft Excel for math. I'm still trying to put together some plans using MEP maths, Excel, science fair project books, and Newspaper in Education resources.

I think I remember GED prep books covering quite a bit of graphing in the science and social studies sections.

I would really like to be able to quickly and accurately create a picture that is worth more than a 1,000 words, in the form of a graph.

-

I HIGHLY recommend going through the Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance DVD/workbook series with your DD -- extremely practical, foundational, helpful, sound financial advice for everyday ordinary living. We are counting it as part of our Economics credit, but you could also probably count the hours towards a Consumer Math credit.

QUOTE]

:iagree:My ds 16 is doing this in a co-op setting this year and loving it.