Menu

Primary Sources List- Ancients through Reformation?

Is there a good thread listing primary sources (in addition to those recommended in the WTM) and I'm just missing it?

Coming from a Sonlight background, primary sources are new to us. If it's not historical fiction we don't recognize it. :D

My library uses it's money to buy public computers, so I rely on interlibrary loan/ Half.com/ and the internet. I will need really specific info. to order anything.

Can someone help me with a link to a good logic stage primary sources list for Ancients through the Reformation, that is not already listed in the WTM?

I found it really engaging to add images of artifacts, paintings, and sculptures to our studies. I taught in a co-op the year we did ancient history, and the kids periodically were given a handful of images I printed out and a form I made up for analyze artifacts; they were archeologists/social historians for the day. It was hard work and it took them some time to figure it all out.

Sites I found really useful:

http://www.bl.uk (British Library; has a gallery of ancient art and artifacts with information, timelines, etc. I printed things out from this site a lot.)

http://www.metmuseum.org (Metropolitan Museum of Art)

Also, Eyewitness has some wonderful images in their books on Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient China, etc.

You can find a lot of translated primary documents at http://www.fordham.edu

Which volume? I'd love to hear about these books from anyone who's using them!

I see

Mesopotamians

Greeks

Romans

Egyptians.

Is that all of them? How do these compare to the Ancient World Primary Resource/Ref vol?

TIA!

I'm the OP. :) I ordered it on the recommendation of FR. (Or what I thought was it????) I just got it in the mail. Here is the info. on the book I received:

The Ancients In Their Own Words

by Michael Kerrigan

ISBN 978-1-4351-0724-3

Fall River Press

2009 Amber Books Ltd.

VERY NICE BOOK. I'm so glad I bought it. Purchased from Amazon for $3.96 + $3.99 shipping.

I also got:

The Mammoth Book of How It Happened

Not as pretty as the other book, but excellent.

Edited by Swirl

I'm the OP. :) I ordered it on the recommendation of FR. (Or what I thought was it????) I just got it in the mail. Here is the info. on the book I received:

The Ancients In Their Own Words

by Michael Kerrigan

ISBN 978-1-4351-0724-3

Fall River Press

2009 Amber Books Ltd.

VERY NICE BOOK. I'm so glad I bought it. Purchased from Amazon for $3.96 + $3.99 shipping.

I also got:

The Mammoth Book of How It Happened

Not as pretty as the other book, but excellent.

Thank you! I just looked at it irl at B&N today ($15!), &...I think I might like it for highschool, but not logic stage (I don't think). There was some editorializing, which bugged me a little, & the quotes I read (skimming while 2yo is running circles around me) didn't give me the insight into the ancients I was hoping for. And some of them were just completely gross. :D

I might look again in a few yrs, but I wanted to share what I saw for others who are thinking about it. One thing I *did* really like about it--there are huge photographs of the obelisks, etc on which they've found the primary docs AND if they're on display, it tells you where. Thumbs up for that!:001_smile:

Thank you! I just looked at it irl at B&N today ($15!), &...I think I might like it for highschool, but not logic stage (I don't think). There was some editorializing, which bugged me a little, & the quotes I read (skimming while 2yo is running circles around me) didn't give me the insight into the ancients I was hoping for. And some of them were just completely gross. :D

I might look again in a few yrs, but I wanted to share what I saw for others who are thinking about it. One thing I *did* really like about it--there are huge photographs of the obelisks, etc on which they've found the primary docs AND if they're on display, it tells you where. Thumbs up for that!:001_smile:

Thanks, Aubrey! I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts.