Menu

s/o of the s/o of Christmas letters

If you were to write a Christmas letter that was real, meaning, you'd write about the good and the bad and the average, what would it say? This might be fun! LOL

Mine would say:

Greetings,

This year has been super-busy. In February, I started a part-time job in the medical records department of one of the hospitals in town. The job is not difficult and the people are great to work with, for the most part. As with any place, the drama-queens surface and some days I put headphones on, crank up my iPod and hide in my cubicle. Seriously though, the job is a gift and I'm pretty happy there.

Also in February, my sainted mother threw one of her famous hissy fits in the form of a 3 page diatribe, berating me, my friends, my recently-deceased best friend, my church, my EX, and my father, and also expressed how sorry she felt for my children. She decreed that she'd no longer speak to me until God changed my heart and pronounced me no longer part of her family. She wrapped up this joyous epistle by signing it "In Christ, love Mom." I'm keeping the letter as evidence in her commitment hearing, which I'm sure will be any day now.

The spring and summer were relatively uneventful. I pretty much have no time for a social life outside of church, but I can't complain about that much, since most of the people I'd socialize with are there, anyway. I do manage to eek out time to play The Price is Right on Face Book. Where would I be without that release to blow off steam? I did join Weight Watchers, and have slowly been losing weight. Not nearly as fast as I'd like, but I'm old. That's my excuse. I'm old. I could exercise, I suppose, but that would cut into my TPIR time and one must set priorities.

The fall meant that my daughter began 8th grade. She began the year with her typical run-down of all the subjects she hates. Any excitement I might have about a new textbook or curriculum is appropriately countered by her angst over having to actually learn that subject. Her pleas to just stop doing school because she's smart enough, sadly, fall upon "Mommy ears" and I just get out that whip, chain her to her desk and only let her have lukewarm water and hard, crusty bread until the lessons are done. On Sundays I allow her to leave the house for some "socialization", but only for a few hours in the mornings.

My son is still trying to find his path in life. I think he signed up for the 8-year plan to earn a Bachelor's Degree. He's a delightful young man, though; I just wish he could earn a living by being delightful. If he could, he'd be a millionaire and could support his doting mother in the style to which she plans to become accustomed.

In October, I was supposed to have a minor surgical procedure. Nothing major. But, the pre-op requirements dictated I have an EKG. Well, as you'd probably predict, the EKG was abnormal. This required me to have a nuclear stress test. You'd be right if you assumed that it was abnormal, too. Naturally, when one has two abnormal cardiac tests, one must submit oneself to a cardiac catheter. This news reduced me to a sobbing heap and I found myself weeping to my boss, fearful I'd never return to work due to my impending death. She assured me that I was not going to keel over during the test, that I had plenty of sick time available and that if I needed anything I could call on her for help. Well, I clearly didn't expire during the cath and all this stress determined one thing: I'm perfectly fine. I believe the hospital has paid more to find this out than what they've paid me in salary this year.

In November, I turned 44. My wonderful friend made me a fabulous chocolate cake and I felt no compulsion whatsoever to share it. However, these pesky offspring of mine felt differently and managed to consume "their fair share." My sainted mother (the one not speaking to me) sent me a birthday card, declaring how much she and "dad" (her husband, not my father) love me. It went into the "commitment hearing file". I guess God told her He changed my heart. He forgot to tell me, though, and I continue to stick to my decision to not engage her in any exchange whatsoever, as it tends to feed into her insanity and contribute exponentially to my stress level. I have my heart to consider, you know.

The fall also brought about one broken furnace, and a week later, a broken dishwasher. Dishes I can wash by hand, but heat is another matter altogether. Happily, I was able to have a new furnace installed the week the cold weather really hit. Dishes still sit in the sink (see paragraph about TPIR on FB) but by crackee, we're warm!

We had a wonderful Christmas. My family has been hugely blessed this year. We're in good health, we have a freezer and pantry full of food, we have all the toys, games, amusements, books, and pets we could possibly manage and the future's so bright, we walk around wearing shades.

May 2011 bring you joy, blessings, peace and love,

The Solas

Our Christmas letter is in the form of a family newspaper. This year covered some bad stuff. So it is not all rosy. I shared some things that I am struggling with personally. Much of the rest of ours are stories or articles written by the kids which give a sense of their personalities and their interests. I would not, however, share their personal struggles or character issues. While I'm aware of them and certainly work on them, I think it would be disrespectful to my kids to air that on their behalf. If they wanted to bring that up in an article they wrote, that would be up to them.

Our Christmas letter is in the form of a family newspaper. This year covered some bad stuff. So it is not all rosy. I shared some things that I am struggling with personally. Much of the rest of ours are stories or articles written by the kids which give a sense of their personalities and their interests. I would not, however, share their personal struggles or character issues. While I'm aware of them and certainly work on them, I think it would be disrespectful to my kids to air that on their behalf. If they wanted to bring that up in an article they wrote, that would be up to them.

Your Christmas letter was wonderful. :001_smile: :grouphug:

It was very well done! I enjoyed it :D

I would not, however, share their personal struggles or character issues. While I'm aware of them and certainly work on them, I think it would be disrespectful to my kids to air that on their behalf.

I agree, but I didn't think solamichelle was being disrespectful of her dc.

Maybe because I have a "delightful" son too :lol:;) and dc who decidedly have a ...lack of enthusiasm for my latest and greatest find. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed your Christmas letter too, though!

Someday I'm going to write one. :001_smile:

Well, now I'm embarrassed. :blush: I was just thinking aloud about how I might share major things that happen to the family or myself but how privacy considerations would keep me from being too real about my kid's personal struggles. (Though that doesn't seem to stop me from sharing it here, at least we have the protection of not having names attached!)

Well, now I'm embarrassed. :blush: I was just thinking aloud about how I might share major things that happen to the family or myself but how privacy considerations would keep me from being too real about my kid's personal struggles. (Though that doesn't seem to stop me from sharing it here, at least we have the protection of not having names attached!)

:grouphug:

No, don't be embarrassed!

You're right, we do have to be sensitive re. our dc's privacy.

I consider this place anonymous because (I think) I don't know anyone here irl, (I say I think~if you do know me irl, please say hi!) so I'll sometimes post stuff on here I would never share at a local homeschool event.

I'd write a letter like SM for here, but never send it out.

Aww, don't be embarrassed. I should have clarified WHY he's on the 8 year plan. He can't decide what to major in! He can DO the work, he just can't decide what work to do! LOL