Menu

Priorities - WWYD?

How to choose!

My plan was to be so much farther than I am so far this week. I have to get school planning done. I had also hoped to get finances straightened out (a multi day marathon project), and the house cleaned.

Thursday, I have a Drs. appointment at 10:15. It is 45 min. away from home but just minutes from the low income housing development where we were ministering. I have not seen the people there since October. When I got so ill, I was not able to go and visit. I would like to go and see people there on Thursday. I would also give them my Christmas letter (to special friends). I don't have addresses and sometimes even full names so I can't mail them.

When I mentioned wanting to go and see the elderly, Dh asked "what about your goals to get all this stuff done?" Ack! How do I choose? I mean, people are more important but I always end up putting off these tasks because of people's needs. . . Dh was not telling me that I had to do one thing or another. He was just asking because he knew what my hopes were for this week.

If it were me, I'd try to do it all but my health is not compromised in any way. For you, I'd stay home and take care of you and your family first. It's so hard to accept the limitations of illnesses but when that does happen, you have to take care of yourself first so you can serve your family and then if there's anything left in the 'tank', serve others. hth :grouphug:

Were it me, I'd get off the computer and get the house cleaned during what is left of today. Then go see your people tomorrow after the doctor's appointment. Friday work on lesson planning, and if you don't need to carry lesson planing into Saturday, start your budget planning on Saturday.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Please stop beating yourself up, Jean -- you've already been doing more than you should, and I would hate to see your health deteriorate because you're more concerned about others' needs than your own.

Do the bare minimum. If school planning is your main priority, don't even think about doing anything other than that. I can understand that the finances would be important, but do what absolutely has to be done, and leave the rest for later. Forget about cleaning. Everyone will survive if the house is messy for a while. Buy some paper plates, styrofoam cups, and plastic utensils so you won't have many dishes to deal with. And I know you'd like to visit the elderly people, but if it's going to involve a lot of time and energy, put it off for a few more weeks. You need to focus on yourself right now, and I know how hard that is for you to do, but try not to feel guilty about it.

Take it easy, and you'll be able to deal with more activity once you're feeling better. If you try to do too much right now, you'll only end up setting yourself back, and then you'll be in worse shape all around.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I *think* I would try and go visit at least a few people tomorrow since you will be in that part of town. If you get up in the morning and don't feel like it, then don't.

Give your kids a list of things to clean. They are old enough. You do the light stuff. Don't wear yourself out so much that you don't even feel like going to the doctor tomorrow.

I would try and plan out at least two weeks of school this weekend, as well as a basic budget. Can your husband help with that?

Lastly, give yourself a break, Jean. Be kind to yourself. Don't be afraid to put your needs first once in a while. That's a lesson I have learned the hard way this year. :grouphug:

So that is 2 votes for not going, and 2 votes for going!

The housecleaning actually isn't a priority. Between the kids, dh and I we have that covered "enough". I did hope to get a good cleaning in before starting school up again but it isn't a really important thing.

I'm working really hard on the lesson planning today.

UPDATE - I got all but one subject scheduled for ds13 yesterday. Today I went to the Drs. appointment and then went to the low income housing for elderly. I'm so glad that we went. There were lots of hugs, tears and amaryllis bulbs (many of them had received them for Christmas and didn't want them!). These people are soooo lonely.

We got an important errand done on the way home - getting one more thing done on my to-do list. I will still have time this afternoon to work more on lesson planning too.

Please pray that I don't get sick from having visited there, though. I washed my hands very well afterward. And I'm taking a nap so that I don't get too tired out.