Menu

Would you root your nook?

It's similar to "jailbreaking" an iphone.

I've been reading about it at the Nookboards, but those people sound much more tech savvy than me. Still, they have shared some easy instructions and it sounds like it would open up my Nook Color to do a lot more.

But...I'm hesitant because I really like my Nook now~but I would like to do more on it if I could.

Would you do it?

Well, I can tell you that my dh would do it. :rolleyes: If something can be cracked or "jailbroken" dh is all over that.

He did it to our iPhone despite my reluctance to do so and we've been pretty happy with some of the things it can now do. With the iPhone it was possible to restore to factory settings so we could revert back at anytime. Is it the same with the Nook? If so, I'd give it a try and see if you like it.

What does rooting it allow it to do differently?

My son wants to get into our Wii and do something to it..so far we've told him no..not sure what he thinks he do to it?

I just asked my 14yo ds about this. He "jailbroke" 2 iPod touch devices which gave them a lot more features. But he says that doing it to the Wii doesn't really add that much. He reminded me that when we first got the Wii last year, he mentioned jailbreaking it and I warned him "Don't hack my Wii!" So unless your son can articulate something really great that this will do...don't let him!

What does rooting it allow it to do differently?

It allows you access to the android marketplace wherein you can download a lot of apps to the Nook. I could even put the Kindle app on it if I wanted to.

The point about resetting is a good one, plain jane~if I can do that then the risk is not high.

Now I'm reading the next update would make rooting unnecessary, though. Maybe I should wait and see what happens in January.

Ha...if I procrastinate long enough, school will start back up and I won't have time to think about it ;)

It allows you access to the android marketplace wherein you can download a lot of apps to the Nook. I could even put the Kindle app on it if I wanted to.

The point about resetting is a good one, plain jane~if I can do that then the risk is not high.

Now I'm reading the next update would make rooting unnecessary, though. Maybe I should wait and see what happens in January.

Ha...if I procrastinate long enough, school will start back up and I won't have time to think about it ;)

Yes. Some are buying the Nook, rooting them, then using them as an Android tablet.

There are also problems when using Kindle for Android -

It hasn’t been optimized for Nook Color.

It’s just a strange experience – Kindle for Android is a bit awkward, perhaps due to the way apps work on rooted Nook Colors.

There’s a security issue. Who knows what information the rooted Nook is sending to whom?

What about legal issues - Aren’t users agreeing to some contract when they buy a Nook Color? Perhaps the contract includes something about not hacking your Nook Color, or something about not using the Kindle Store.

Android is just a different world. Users who are used to protected ecosystems, like the ones Apple and Amazon and B&N have, will struggle mightily.

I just saw this today on this website if that helps.

The man I spoke to at B&N seemed to think it was legal. The only issue would be the warranty, but if you can get it back to factory settings, that might not be an issue. Personally, I am going to wait for the update & B&N app store. What apps do you think are worth rooting it for? Once rooted, will they work properly since the nook OS was slightly modified from the standard android OS?