Menu

Classical Conversations Essentials

cdrumm4448

I would probably register him.

Many of the grammar lessons can be done on a white board together, either a personal size or a wall size. That might be helpful for him.

You may want to keep the IEW writing lessons to a more basic level: learning how do do a keyword outline and writing one paragraph papers. If you're diligent about doing a little writing every day, then there shouldn't be tons of handwriting for him. I have heard of students who write their drafts on the computer. Maybe that is an option? Or . . . maybe beginning in 4th grade, you have him "take it up a notch" and require a little more writing than he'd prefer.

I think 3 years of Essentials allows for plenty of time to "really get" grammar & writing -- time to master the skills needed for later years.

This is our first year doing CC and I have a fifth grader in essentials - she turned 10 in June. Personally, I was pretty confident with FLL and WTM style writing in 4th grade. So I think 5th grade was the right time for her, and I will probably do the same for my youngest if we still have CC available at that time and place in our life!

However, it seems like it might be a good fit for your son. If he doesn't like to write by hand, you might start him on a typing program now. Also - how is his spelling? My child's is still pretty horrible - so the editing takes quite a bit of time and she needs the practice of writing out her essays correctly, she's not up to speed yet for typing. Just things to consider.

This is how our week goes at home for the IEW portion of essentials: day 1 - Key Word Outline, day 2-first draft, day 3- edits with mom and adding dress-ups, day 4 - final paper. It is a lot of writing, but very good instruction.

If you've been doing FLL, he will be very well-prepared for the grammar portion.

This is our first year doing CC and I have a fifth grader in essentials - she turned 10 in June. Personally, I was pretty confident with FLL and WTM style writing in 4th grade. So I think 5th grade was the right time for her, and I will probably do the same for my youngest if we still have CC available at that time and place in our life!

However, it seems like it might be a good fit for your son. If he doesn't like to write by hand, you might start him on a typing program now. Also - how is his spelling? My child's is still pretty horrible - so the editing takes quite a bit of time and she needs the practice of writing out her essays correctly, she's not up to speed yet for typing. Just things to consider.

This is how our week goes at home for the IEW portion of essentials: day 1 - Key Word Outline, day 2-first draft, day 3- edits with mom and adding dress-ups, day 4 - final paper. It is a lot of writing, but very good instruction.

If you've been doing FLL, he will be very well-prepared for the grammar portion.

Good advice, too! We used FLL and felt very prepared for Essentials. We used 4th grade as a slow introduction of sorts. We did lots of the Essentials assignments, but now it is REALLY sinking in for my son. He's a 5th grader who has made major advances in composition over the last year. He went from needing help with Keyword outlines, to being able to outline and write the rough draft independently. He also does many of the dress-ups on his own. Yeah! 4th grade was a "hand-holding" year and 5th grade we've transitioned into mostly independent with lots of input/steering from mom. I hope that 6th grade will be a year of great leaps and mastery.

I am an Essentials tutor. I have a young fourth grader in class who is doing really well, plus 5th and 6th graders. It can be what you make of it at home. Class time is pretty intense and focused, but you could break up the grammar and writing at home so that it's not all in one chunk.