Menu

If you are "wearing" or have "worn" your baby....

Sooooo...my mom thinks we have "spoiled" her and that we should not still be wearing/carrying her at age 1. She is such a small thing, only about 16 pounds, it's no trouble. She is also my most "cuddly" child...loves to cuddle! But my mom insists it is "time" to stop.

What says the baby-wearing hive members?

I do have to add a specific comment here! My mom swore up and down that Riley would never learn to walk if I wore her. She walked at 9 months. Then she swore again that Reece would never learn to walk. She was much later, but she did learn to walk.

I think some moms just like to drive us crazy. During our Disney trip and over Christmas, my mom's thing was that my kids can't spell. And of course, you know why, right?? ;)

All my kids were very light babies - none of them were over 30 punds before they were 3yo. DH or I carried them until they got too heavy - around 3yo.

BTW - one of mine was a runner - he started running AWAY as soon as he learned to walk. And when he learned to run, he was FAST! Thank goodness for a good baby carrier! It was the only way to keep that toddler safe when we were out and about!

No time to read the many pages of responses, but carry her as long as you both want to. Ignore your mom. (Nicely, lol.)

Mine were in the sling often until about 18 mo.-2 years. Not constantly, and I'd put them down when I was tired. It made public outings much easier. No stroller to navigate through crowds; sling doubled as a blanket or a cover for a tired babe; kept my arms from breaking off when babe was fussy and wanted to be held constantly.

Confession: I still have our sling. My last "baby" is 6 and I haven't used it for years. I take it out of the chest from time to time, thinking I'll give it to a new momma. But I can't seem to give it up.

Cat

No time to read the many pages of responses, but carry her as long as you both want to. Ignore your mom. (Nicely, lol.)

Mine were in the sling often until about 18 mo.-2 years. Not constantly, and I'd put them down when I was tired. It made public outings much easier. No stroller to navigate through crowds; sling doubled as a blanket or a cover for a tired babe; kept my arms from breaking off when babe was fussy and wanted to be held constantly.

Confession: I still have our sling. My last "baby" is 6 and I haven't used it for years. I take it out of the chest from time to time, thinking I'll give it to a new momma. But I can't seem to give it up.

Cat

:iagree: Completely.

I also have a beautiful sling that I can't bear to give up. Maybe I'll just save it for grandbabies :001_smile:.

Ever so gently tell your mother to butt out.

I wish I had done so when my mom had me feed dd baby food at 3 months old and when dh's grandmother started telling me that nursing past 6 months was unnatural.

Don't worry about what the old school thinks. Go with what works for you and your baby.

Yeah, my mom told me my daughter would never walk because I held her too much. Well, she walked at nine months, quit nursing the second she realized milk could be "to go", and had the most independent spirit I've known in a child. Mother doesn't always know best.

when did you stop?

I am not much into labels so I don't think I completely "qualify" as "attachment parenting" but we do co-sleep with all of our kids until they decided to sleep on their own. I feed babies on demand not a schedule. I rocked all my babies to sleep. And I have worn or carried all of my children.

Baby girl just turned 1 year old and she seems to want to be carried still all the time even though she can walk (started at 10 months). I don't have a problem with it and neither does her ahma (who also wears or carries her most of the day) and she is so small for her age that she isn't that heavy.

Sooooo...my mom thinks we have "spoiled" her and that we should not still be wearing/carrying her at age 1. She is such a small thing, only about 16 pounds, it's no trouble. She is also my most "cuddly" child...loves to cuddle! But my mom insists it is "time" to stop.

Honestly, Heather -- carry her until she doesn't let you do it anymore. You'll never get this time back again. You will never look back and say "gee, I wish I hadn't spent all that time holding her close."

I wore my ds until he was too big to fit in the sling well. Then I still carried him around on my hip whenever he wanted. He probably stopped asking for pick-ups when he was close to 4yo. If I could actually lift him, I'd still pick him up if he asked, even though he's 11.

One is still so little! I still rotate between my 2.5yo, 4.5yo, and 6yo when I'm vacuuming if baby ds doesn't want to go in the carrier. My baby ds is almost one and he is in the Ergo at least once or twice a day depending on what I need to do and his mood that day. And he's a very easy going, doesn't need much from mom baby. My current 2.5yo was worn much more when she was 11 -months-old.

:iagree: Completely.

I also have a beautiful sling that I can't bear to give up. Maybe I'll just save it for grandbabies :001_smile:.

I have 3 slings still. The first was Riley's sling and the first time I put Reece into it, Riley had a fit. So I ordered a different color just for her. I do have a Maya that I used for both of them, but apparently Riley wasn't as attached to that one.

I can't bear to part with them. I guess I'll save them for my girls if they want to wear their babies when they grow up!

Eh....wear her as long as you feel comfortable. My ds was a nightmare child (that is putting it positively and nicely lol) and the ONLY way that child was somewhat happy was when I was holding/wearing him. I wore him until he was about 2. One day he looked at me, said no to the sling and that was that. It was just time I guess.

I sure got a TON of unwelcome advice about 'spoiling her'...

By age 2 it was not as comfortable for her to be 'worn' (I had a great sling) so we stopped-- and she was happily independent and she was NOT spoiled a bit--just well loved!

Your baby is walking, is healthy and happy-- cuddle/wear as much as you can-- they grow up too fast!

I still was wearing my older DS when he was 2.5 and I was largely pregnant. He is 4 and about 50lbs, and he still asks to be wrapped for short snuggles once in a while. My younger son is 17mo and 26lbs and still worn lots. In fact, just today I wore him on my front in a mei tai for a two hour zoo trip. Do what feels good to you and your daughter, nobody else.

I'd say that she's probably spoiled, and don't wear her past 4.5 yrs! ;) I wore my son in an Ergo till her was over 3.... I would have worn him till he was 4 when he wanted held. Do you have one? They are WONDERFUL :) You can do back carries so easily. Of course, you may have something similar... but for just around the house the Ergo is so much more comfortable. I bought mine when my son was 1.5 yrs, because I really wanted one, and knew that he was my last. I paid about $90 and it has been SOOOOO worth it!! :) I just wouldn't talk to your mom about it. She didn't move with you, did she? What does her Ahma say? Is it unusual in the "Indian" culture to wear them? I kinda thought that other cultures wore their babies for a long time. Do they have a "special carrier"? If so... you should proudly post more pics!! ;)

when did you stop?

I am not much into labels so I don't think I completely "qualify" as "attachment parenting" but we do co-sleep with all of our kids until they decided to sleep on their own. I feed babies on demand not a schedule. I rocked all my babies to sleep. And I have worn or carried all of my children.

Baby girl just turned 1 year old and she seems to want to be carried still all the time even though she can walk (started at 10 months). I don't have a problem with it and neither does her ahma (who also wears or carries her most of the day) and she is so small for her age that she isn't that heavy.

Just a rude thought here -- one along the lines of telling Mom that she had her chance to raise children as she saw fit, TYVM.

Anyway, I wore my DD in a sling throughout her baby and toddlerhood and periodically later on until she was 4.5 years old, though obviously those times became more and more rare as she became heavier!

I LOVED having her in a sling because it meant the following:

1. I *always* knew where she was. No paranoid fears of leaving the baby on the bus. :D

2. Very easy to give hugs and kisses.

3. During winter, I would bundle my coat around her while she was in the sling and know she was warm and toasty.

4. It was very easy to talk to her and interact with her -- she never felt pushed to the side or ignored.

Basically, just blow off Mom, I think -- and trust your own instincts as a parent. Oh, and if your back starts to hurt, it's probably time to dial back.

when did you stop?

Oh, and one more thing: I have never once heard of a child being "spoiled" because they were given unlimited love. The "spoiled" children I've met? They were spoiled because they were given possessions in the place of love, or possessions in the place of self-discipline. Your child sounds loving. Why in the world would anyone logically say, "It's time to stop"? You have all her life to wish you could still cuddle her again like you could when she was a baby.

This made me LAUGH... you are so right. Even over skype she still manages to get to me...sheesh. :tongue_smilie: I seem to have misplaced my big girl panties again... :D

Ya know...I've heard Skype breaks down. A lot. Really. Especially when mothers call.

Just sayin'.

Edited to add...

Here's what we used for the most part after she was about 2 or so:

REBOZO

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column9.htmla

I started with a Maya Wrap knockoff, then a Didymos knockoff, but my slings got simpler and simpler until finally they just became one long length of cotton cloth like a rebozo. I wore DD on my hip and then on my back as she got bigger.

Still miss it.

Edited by Charles Wallace

when did you stop?

I say that I wish with every fiber of my being that I could have carried ds (adopted from India at age 4) for the first years of his life.

IMHO, it is IMPOSSIBLE to spoil an infant with love/bonding/carrying. Instead of spoiling her, you are giving her a gift: one of being a attached child who will not doubt your love for her.

(Not that I have strong feelings about this... ;)

Lisa

Cat

Awww, Cat. That's why mine is stored away, too. I can't give ours up either. Too many wonderful moments spent with it. I hope the material holds up so dd can use it with her children should she have one/some. That is, if she wishes to wear them -- don't want to impose my mothering ideals on her!!!! Hee, hee! :001_smile:

A one year old is a BABY. :confused: I'm so confused by this. I thought you were going to ask if you should have to stop carrying your four year old. :001_huh:

My babies are worn regularly 'til around two. Do we let them walk at two if they want? Sure. But it is simpler and easier to throw a little one on my back when we're going to the zoo or shopping or wherever. We own two carriers for exactly this purpose - so DH can backpack the toddler and I can carry the baby.

If you'd stick them in a stroller, it's still appropriate to wear them on your back. (But then again I'm one of those people who hate to see a 4 year old in a stroller too.)

when did you stop?

My special needs youngest child weighed only 16 pounds at one year also. I carried her in a frame backpack for a long time - as late as 3 or 4 years old. During her infancy, she was either in a front soft carrier or frame backpack carrier most of the time; she took her naps in the carrier. She needed constant movement to calm herself.

Your daughter will let you know when she is ready for increments of independence. Follow her lead.