Menu

anyone switched from Abeka lang. to R&S?

homemama

I really don't want to switch currently because I would go crazy. We've switched something almost every year and we end up not completing things sometimes.:tongue_smilie:So, want to keep on track for now. However, really like the simplicity and writing skills in R&S and want to move into it. Almost made the switch this year, by the way.

DS is 9 and working in the Abeka lang. 3. How advanced is the R&S 4? I think he would be up for the 3 book now, but it would be a little challenging or per say "different" as Abeka is workbook style. I even thought about switching now and continuing for next year, but that "grade level" think gets me every time!:lol:

So, I would like some input if you have knowledge in this area, please!

homemama

ds 9-beginning ECC in Jan.(switch from all texts) for science, geo., and Bible. Saxon Math 3, Abeka lang. 3, R&S spelling 3, and extras.

I understand and can't help much because we haven't done R&S 3 or 4 yet so I haven't seen those personally. This is probably not what you are looking for but I'd finish up what you have with Abeka (since it's a consumable you wouldn't really be able to sell it for much) and then move into the next level with R&S. I will say though with levels 2 & 5 there is a lot of review in the teacher book helping you go over previously learned skills so if you went on and got R&S 4 it wouldn't hurt. You could then look through it and make sure there's enough to get him up to speed. If not finish the Abeka workbook then start R&S 4. Again, I am doing a lot of assuming going by the two R&S levels that we have, there could be a big leap in one of those levels in between that I wouldn't know about! Hopefully someone who has 3 or 4 will jump in.

I'd enter him into R&S at grade level. The warnings to bump back a grade in R&S don't really apply until the child is in 6th grade or higher.

He's a third grader this year? If you switch right now, get the 3 book. You can skip over lessons he doesn't need, or double up on the easier ones, so you can finish it more or less on time.

If you wait until fall to switch, start him in the 4 book.

R&S makes transitions easy peasy. I'd start doing the drill orally with diagramming on a whiteboard, and slowly transition him over to doing the written drill after he can demonstrate understanding of the concept. The TE will hold your hand every step of the way.

I only used 1 year of Abeka (first grade) then we went to RS3 with no problems. The styles are different, so you're going to get more mastery out of RS b/c of the in-depth daily practice and review. I prefered it to Abeka b/c I like the additional practice, the singular focus (small review, but not nearly as spiral as Abeka was) and although it's not nearly as pretty, my son was distracted by all the color.

To compare 3-4, there is a jump in depth that reflects in a slightly quicker pace; however, I always though of RS4 as Finally getting around to grammar at a pace that did not draaag on. My suggestion: if she's got the definitions down and has started to recognize parts of speech in a sentence, go to 4. If there is a spot she's stumbling, simply do more practice. The practice WS are cheap or able to "fake" by using the Teacher's Manual.

Thanks Tina and Silvermoon!

I'm thinking of just making the switch and just going at his pace and not worry too much. We need short daily lessons because math is our real struggle area and I need to spend more time on that. We're more avg. in the lang. area, but not so with math. The time saved with the added benefit of better writing exercises (imho) should help out. This is all in my thinking, hope it will be a reality!

Thanks again!:001_smile: