Menu

Need ideas for modern world history course

Next year my 10th grade dd will take a modern world history course (to meet CA standards). I would really like to not have to create my own course. I like the looks of the Oak Meadow syllubus for world history, but it covers all of world history and not just modern. K12 offers a modern world history course, but it is very expensive. (I've asked for reviews in a separate posting). Does anyone know of available programs that cover modern world history? Prefer secular, but Christian is OK if not anti-Catholic.

If not, does anyone have resources they've used and enjoyed when putting together their own course?

Thanks for your help.

Louise

Next year my 10th grade dd will take a modern world history course (to meet CA standards). I would really like to not have to create my own course. I like the looks of the Oak Meadow syllubus for world history, but it covers all of world history and not just modern. K12 offers a modern world history course, but it is very expensive. (I've asked for reviews in a separate posting). Does anyone know of available programs that cover modern world history? Prefer secular, but Christian is OK if not anti-Catholic.

If not, does anyone have resources they've used and enjoyed when putting together their own course?

Thanks for your help.

Louise

Ambleside Online Year 11 might do the trick....Oh, and it's FREE!!!

We used Sonlight 300, modifying some of the readings and adding in more history and more literary commentary (used Spark and Cliff and some other stuff).

They've changed it since we used it, but I'd still cull some of the books. We used a combo of DK 20th Cent Day by Day, Spielvogel Western Civ (because we had it from using it with Omnibus), and a series that went thru the 20th cent year by year (only doing up thru the 30's with it). I

didn't like all of John Holtzman's commentary in Sonlight, and there were many books (about half, actually) with no comprehension questions or other helps--this was a huge disappointment. It was basically just "here, read this." However, as I said, they've changed the spine, and some other things, too.

It's my son's most familiar time in history--with his Asperger's came an intense interest in world wars, so WWI and II were already quite familiar to him. We got him Band of Brothers when he was in Jr. Hi, and he read extensively on his own prior to high school, so he entered the time period with great backround. We added in some film studies, b/c he indicated an interest in becoming a director. We did some research online, particularly about the Holocaust.

It was a good year for us.

We used Sonlight 300, modifying some of the readings and adding in more history and more literary commentary (used Spark and Cliff and some other stuff).

I'm curious to learn more about Sonlight's instructor guides. Do they include discussion questions for the main spines, quizzes, tests, project ideas? I will need to incorporate these typical components of a high school course to meet our requirements.

Louise

How will you implement it on your own? Will you come up with your own discussion questions, etc?

Yes, we use a lot of documentaries and Teaching Company lectures as well, so we have a lot of spontaneous discussions anyway. I don't use written discussion questions for any subject, really. For grading purposes in HS, I'll have DS do short essays, research papers, and either CLEP tests (US History, Western Civ) or open-book final exams with short essay questions.

Jackie

Our Lady of Victory has a West vs. Communism which could be modern or twentieth century history. Dd is taking a coop class this year based on this course and the class discussions are very interesting. I haven't kept up with all the reading, though. I really enjoyed With God in Russia and the Papal Encyclical on Atheistic Communism.