Menu

What are the basics of a good wardrobe?

DH gave me a generous amt of $ on a JCPenney card for Christmas. I'll go ahead and say--I have $300 to spend.

I need EVERYTHING.

I literally have one pair of jeans that fit--and on that one, the zipper occasionally comes down by itself...I have two other pair I can wear around the house, and two pair of ill-fitting sweats, also just for around the house (although I wear them to babysit sometimes). I can get T's at Walmart for about 8 bucks each and so I am not counting them.

I have one bra, which is an underwire, but I have taken the underwire out of one side and mostly out of the other, because it broke and is poking. I know--pathetic. Definitely going to spend at least $50 on those--they run about $25 for my size.

I have enough undies and pj's (one nice pair of pj's, and Tee's are fine for the rest) so I don't need to spend there.

I need at least one new dress.

I don't have any blouses.

I have a jean skirt. Skirts and blouses are difficult b/c of my size.

I have one nice dress, but it's black and white, and I have worn it to death.

Soooo--What are maybe 6 or 7 pieces I should get? I'm still an 18W, although it's getting better...

(I have two pair of black pumps, a pair of sneakers, and sandals, so I'm ok in the shoe dept.)

for me it would be:

2 or 3 bras, 6 pair of undies

2 pair of jeans

2 pair of other type pants, such as a pair of cords and a pair of slacks (casual)

2 or 3 pull over knit tops

2 button down shirts, just something a little more dressy then the pull overs.

1 skirt. I don't care for dresses, they never fit me right, but you could do a decent dress instead of a skirt. I like a basic skirt since I then can pair it with a couple of the tops.

Have fun shopping. I bet you can find some good sales at Penney's right now.

Well, one book I read about streamlining your wardrobe recommended the following:

one dress

one 3-piece suit (jacket, pants, skirt)

basic knit tops

white, collared shirt

shoes: pump, boot, strappy heel, flat

modern jeans

'frosting' jacket (that you can dress up or down w/ skirt or jeans)

basic bag or tote

Now, I don't think that's exactly the perfect list for a SAHM, but I think it is a good basic list to modify to your needs.

Have fun expanding your wardrobe!

Splurge on those foundational garments!

Also try everything on, and try on things you wouldn't normally try. JCP sizing can be funky sometimes.

Definitely a good dress, maybe a suit where you could wear the jacket as a casual piece.

1-2 pairs of jeans

1-2 pairs of comfy pants, I like yoga pants if I'm just going to be home

some nice t-shirts, long sleeve maybe

I would find a colorful scarf that would match the jacket.

A nice tote - Penneys usually has good sales or clearance

I would also try to put together outfits, not just pieces. For instance if I'm wearing yoga pants I'll wear a looser longer shirt.

Have fun!

After you get the undergarments, I would first pick a neutral color that you like. (my personal fave is black, but brown, camel or navy are cool too) and then get your main items in that color. I would get 1-2 pairs of pants that can be dressed up or down, a skirt, a dress, and a jacket in your main color. Then add to that 1-2 pairs of jeans plus as many shirts in colors that make you feel good that you can find after that. Don't forget some socks and a pair of hose in your main color! If you have some money leftover, buy a scarf or a couple of necklaces that coordinate with your new shirts to tie everything together. I love how accessories just make an outfit.

Oh- and check the tags to make sure everything is machine washable so you don't get stuck in the dry cleaning trap.

Yay! I wish I could shop with you :001_smile:

Well, through my whole life, I have found that the most useful piece I own is always a black skirt -- I like mid calf length. If you find one with an elasticized waist, it will go through several size changes.

For tops in winter. long-sleeved tops -- my current favorites are silky looking cotton ones from LL Bean. I then accessorize with a good scarf.

I would offer two pieces of advice:

1. Spend more on the top part of your outfits than the bottom part, because people will be mostly looking at your face.

2. If you are a larger size, invest in a good bra. All your clothes will look better.

Happy shopping!

I love how accessories just make an outfit.

Oh- and check the tags to make sure everything is machine washable so you don't get stuck in the dry cleaning trap.

Absolutely!

Edited by Alessandra

part of the answer depends on how you spend your days. I think you teach preschool. What is appropriate for your work environment. Obviously, in a preschool it has to be comfortable and washable, but beyond that depends on the particular school.

Please spend whatever you need for good fitting bras. After that I think a good pair of shoes, shoes that are comfortable for standing long periods, but not athletic shoes. Then, I'd get a few (3) pairs of comfortable slacks to pair with multiple long sleeve t shirts in a few colors. A pair of good fitting jeans. A dress. A couple of lightweight cardigan sweaters to layer in colder weather and help vary your look.

Thanks so much for the ideas, everyone.

I will be getting something for church (minister's wife! ;)) and some more casual things that I could wear to church, too--that's my biggest problem. Sometimes I don't even want to go! That's pretty sad, isn't it?

I keep thinking someone is going to nominate me for What Not to Wear and I will see Stacey popping around the corner some day...:D

I would have a nice rather plain and washable black skirt and same for a pair of black pants. I would make sure that your black pumps could go with both. Then I would have several tops that would go with them. The tops would be in whatever colors that looks best on you. I would also maybe go with a white or off white blouse and a black jacket or sweater. With these basics have a lot to work with. Ditto previous advice about bras especially if you need the support.

I keep thinking someone is going to nominate me for What Not to Wear and I will see Stacey popping around the corner some day...:D

A few months ago I came across a wardrobe concept called "Dressing Your Truth" (google for her website) and it's really helped me figure out what to wear. I didn't buy her course but I watched a lot of her videos and read her book so it helped me get some ideas for my 'type' (she breaks it down into four fashion energy types). The biggest change for me was finally having an internal framework of 'this will probably work for me, that style/color won't so I can just ignore it no matter how pretty it is on the model'. Before I was a terrible shopper b/c I knew what I liked on other people but not what was flattering on myself (just what was comfortable). My neutral colors used to be black/grey/white but I have totally changed that since learning about her ideas and now my neutrals are brown-based and it looks so much better on me.

Here are the items that are essential for me (business casual for work/church and casual for home with the kids). FWIW, I replaced my entire (sparse) wardrobe this fall and this is what I got:

1. 2 pair casual pants (one pair cords, the other jeans)

2. 2 pair work pants (one pair khakis, the other pair the cords that do double duty)

3. 2-3 work/church shirts (one collared blouse, one sweater)

4. One layering sweater/cardigan

5. 4-6 knit shirts per season (this is where you can bring in color/pattern - the other pieces I got were in 'go with everything' neutral shades)

6. Two pairs of shoes - one for work and one for play with the kids

7. A few accessories - scarves to dress up the knit shirts, two necklaces and a bracelet too. I don't wear earrings

8. 4-5 layering camis for underneath my shirts (I got these at Target)

I really don't need any other clothes (except a dressier outfit for a wedding) - I have enough for all the occasions in my life and enough variety and it's working great (and shopping is a lot easier b/c I only have clothes in my closet that I actually WEAR now).

Edited by Sevilla

I would get a nice pair of black slacks and 1-2 pairs of jeans. I would also get 2-3 casual but nice enough blouses which don't have to ironed that would do double duty for going to lunch somewhere, church (if you attend), an event like a wedding/baby shower, etc. Make sure they match the black slacks. Look for a nice, long open-front (buttons) sweater meant to be worn over a blouse in black or gray. Coordinate this with the blouses. Lots of mix and match potential.:001_smile: Solid color blouses such as pinks, purples, gray, white will all match the above combos. Have fun! Also, look for flyers with coupons - JC Penney often has these, as well as good sales.

After you get the undergarments, I would first pick a neutral color that you like. (my personal fave is black, but brown, camel or navy are cool too) and then get your main items in that color. I would get 1-2 pairs of pants that can be dressed up or down, a skirt, a dress, and a jacket in your main color. Then add to that 1-2 pairs of jeans plus as many shirts in colors that make you feel good that you can find after that. Don't forget some socks and a pair of hose in your main color! If you have some money leftover, buy a scarf or a couple of necklaces that coordinate with your new shirts to tie everything together. I love how accessories just make an outfit.

Yay! I wish I could shop with you :001_smile:

:grouphug:I like Black and am also an 18, but, please don't tell anyone.

At JCPenny, you need to look at/try on their Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. I like their Amanda style. They have spandex so that they stretch a bit and are very comfortable. I usually wear somewhere between a 16W and 18W, but their 16W fits me like it was designed just for me. I'm so impressed! And, on sale you can get them for $25.

Also, JCP carries Bali bras in larger sizes. I love their Passion for Comfort underwire. It has great support and yet is amazingly comfortable. I got them on sale for $15 each.....they usually run around $30 (still not a bad price).

I agree with the poster that said you should look for a black skirt, at least calf length, and with an elastic waist. I wear mine to church constantly and depending on what top you put with it, it can go from day to night and casual to dressy.

Pick out a few tops/sweaters in your favorite colors and you can pair them with the black skirt or the jeans.

Have fun spending your gift certificate!!

I'm leaving off things like socks and undies. These are a given.

1 pair of black dress pants of a quality material (wool)

1 knee-length straight black skirt

2 pairs of well fitting jeans

1 dress blazer/coat (two button)

1 slim fitting sweater (cotton or cashmere)

2 long sleeve dressy t-shirts

1 pair of plain, low-heeled black dress heels

1 pair of brown loafers (Mary Jane type shoes)

1 bulky, comfortable sweater

1 navy or black pea-coat

2 sleeveless white t-shirts (muscle type t's)

I would go for quality over quantity. As you are losing weight, I would not go overboard, but it's worth rewarding yourself for what you've accomplished so far.

Quality undergarments are essential. Make sure they fit. 2 bras are sufficient - one to wear, the other to wash. (Wash and rinse while you shower, hang to dry.) A third will give you a day off. ;)

1 black elastic waist skirt, calf-length if that is flattering on you. Something you can dress up or down, wear to more formal places or for everyday.

1 pair black pants. I would forgo the jeans, as they can only get so dressy, but the black pants can go casual or dressy.

You've said you like to wear t's; if you've got some already you're good.

1 black or goes-with-black cardigan, jacket, sweater, or whatever to go on top of the t's with either the pants or the skirt.

I'd go with just that to start with. Wear it, see how it goes. Then decide what else you need - black sweater tights for winter? (Marshalls has them.) A nice blouse? A print skirt? A dress? A nice accessory?

Remember to buy for your real life and not a theoretical one.

Choose washable not dry-clean-only. Choose sturdy fabrics that will hold up over time. If black is not your thing, go with another basic color so that your items will mix-and-match. Brown is another option to consider.

I've been able to fill in parts of my wardrobe from second-hand stores. In my area, I can get higher quality there than I can afford new. Skirts, in particular, are fun to buy when they're only $3.50; I can buy a few at the beginning of each season. And dressy dresses, which I only wear rarely, can often be found. So consider the possibility of mixing-and-matching the new and the new-to-you.

Quality is key to looking nice. And when you look nice, it really boosts other areas of your life. Enjoy your new look!

Hmmm, just went through that process myself. Watch JCPenney sales closely, I caught one where everything I needed was half off just before Thanksgiving.

I would get a black A-line skirt, mid calf length, washable/dryable (they have them right now ;), a pair of dark blue wash bootcut jeans, a pair of black slacks, a pair of black flats dressy enough to wear to church, but comfy enough to wear around the house, a cardigan sweater in a color flattering to your face, a white dress shirt, four tops, undies, two good bras, a pair of black shaper panyhose, and then see how much you have left.... I would go for a jacket, a black dress, another skirt, and some more tops next....

I would also buy a couple of pieces of nice jewelry if you can find it....a thin bracelet, a chunky necklace that draws the eye down (not a choker), & a pair of long dangling earrings that go just below the jawline.

:001_smile: You've gotten great advice in this thread!

I would have a nice rather plain and washable black skirt and same for a pair of black pants. I would make sure that your black pumps could go with both. Then I would have several tops that would go with them. The tops would be in whatever colors that looks best on you. I would also maybe go with a white or off white blouse and a black jacket or sweater. With these basics have a lot to work with. Ditto previous advice about bras especially if you need the support.

Hmmm, just went through that process myself. Watch JCPenney sales closely, I caught one where everything I needed was half off just before Thanksgiving.

I would get a black A-line skirt, mid calf length, washable/dryable (they have them right now ;), a pair of dark blue wash bootcut jeans, a pair of black slacks, a pair of black flats dressy enough to wear to church, but comfy enough to wear around the house, a cardigan sweater in a color flattering to your face, a white dress shirt, four tops, undies, two good bras, a pair of black shaper panyhose, and then see how much you have left.... I would go for a jacket, a black dress, another skirt, and some more tops next....

I would also buy a couple of pieces of nice jewelry if you can find it....a thin bracelet, a chunky necklace that draws the eye down (not a choker), & a pair of long dangling earrings that go just below the jawline.

I just revamped my wardrobe. I have lost some weight and I was tired of my old clothes that didn't fit well. I work 3 days a week, and while I am allowed to wear jeans, I prefer not to because dressing for work makes me feel like I'm at work.

I have:

2 pr jeans

1 pr khakis

1 pr chocolate twill

1 pr olive twill

1 pr dressy black

3 dressier (think business casual) blouses

1 casual blouse

2 polo shirts with my work's logo

several 3/4 sleeve knit tops (I hate long sleeves; I just shove them up)

several short sleeve knit tops for layering purposes

3 knit cardigans, in black, tan, and sage

1 ivory sweater (It can be chilly at my job, so I tend to have several cardigans)

All the above can also be worn with my skirts, black, navy, olive, chocolate and denim.

For hanging out at home:

several solid colored tshirts

2 pr navy leggings

1 pr olive leggings

1 pr black leggings

I heartily agree with those who say get good bras. And, I like good socks, too. I'm a size 10-11 shoe, so I like the bigger socks so my toes aren't squished. You might want to get a half-slip for your skirt, unless it's lined.

For shoes, good comfortable casual shoes in black or brown (or both), and a pair of dressy shoes in black. For shoes and bras, I tend to spend more. I need support at both ends. :lol:

Have fun shopping and be sure to let us know what you got! I was blessed with some extra $$ for Christmas, and I happened to find a plus-size outlet and got some fabulous finds for pennies on the dollar, which is why I now have so many clothes! It's nice to have some new things and to have some choices on what to wear every day. :001_smile: