Menu

Merit Badges without Boy Scouts

I really like the Boy Scout Merit Badge program. I like the idea of having experts sign off on projects in their specialty. I like the well defined list of requirements. I like the variety of choices for the merit badges.

But I can't do Boy Scouts. I can't support their views on other things. And even if I were willing to look past the objectionable parts, my son is not.

So my question is: Is there any way to do the merit badge program without the Boy Scouts? Or any real alternative to Boy Scouts for a boy who would like to build things and do cool stuff, but can't join BSA?

(He is not interested 4H. Too many girls. And here it is very very animal oriented. He doesn't want that.)

There is a program called Keeper of the Faith (for girls) and Contenders of the Faith (for boys) that we dabbled in a few years ago. We never really got into it, but I do know that there is a badge component to that program. I do not recall the religious bent other than that it was a 'Christian' program. I know there was prayer involved at the meetings.

I am not familiar with the political leanings of BSA, so I can't really comment beyond this. There is a website if you are interested.

I will look into the option of just doing the work ourselves. Maybe ds will think it is a good idea. He definitely likes the idea of doing cool projects.

I don't think that the Christian group would be a good option. The problems we have with the Boy Scouts are likely to be there too.

FWIW, I avoided scouting for a long time b/c I just can't abide their homophobic rules.

However, I finally relented a couple years ago, when a cub troop was being run by a couple who are good friends of ours, attend our liberal Episcopal church, and embrace their young adult gay son.

I realized that maybe there is wiggle room there, lol

My sons BS troop is run by a different member of our same church, and does not espouse or embrace the homophobia stuff. Nor does it push any religion. I think there are a LOT of troops like this.

I decided to look at BSing the way I look at governments, schools, even church to a large degree, etc. . . I could never embrace every aspect of them, but I can take the good, discuss the so-so, reject and/or advocate to change the bad, and always change my mind if things take an unexpected turn.

Here is a link to a site with merit badge requirements:

http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp#misc

You can also buy an inexpensive book for each merit badge -- lots of info there. The Boy Scout Handbook and the Field Book also have valuable info. Boys who are earning MBs work with a MB counselor/advisor. So, you would probably have tpo bone up on some subjects to help your ds, or else find someone ds could work with. Or you could enroll ds in courses, like a Red Cross course or a Lifeguard course. Or ds could join a club, like a Ham Radio club, a rock/mineral club, astronomy club, etc. The MB requirements can give structure to what ds does, sometimes taking things to the next level, sometimes setting sensible limits on what needs to be learned.

My ds is doing Webelos work right now. Not much advancement work is done in his den, so he is doing a lot at home. The program is so well designed, and I can see how your plan could really work. I enjoy working with my ds on his pins -- I have learned a great deal myself!

But, as another poster said, there are many troops that do not follow the "party line". There is also a lone scout program.

Edited by Alessandra

There are other scouting programs - Spiral Scouts, Earth Scouts... There's also the Junior Ranger programs through the park service and some state parks have similar programs with badges. But none of that has anything nearly as structured or diverse as the merit badges.

I'm with you on the BSA. There are liberal, accepting troops and troop leaders out there, but the homophobia means I would never sign my kids up for it until they change their policy nationally.

FWIW, I avoided scouting for a long time b/c I just can't abide their homophobic rules.

However, I finally relented a couple years ago, when a cub troop was being run by a couple who are good friends of ours, attend our liberal Episcopal church, and embrace their young adult gay son.

I realized that maybe there is wiggle room there, lol

My sons BS troop is run by a different member of our same church, and does not espouse or embrace the homophobia stuff. Nor does it push any religion. I think there are a LOT of troops like this.

I decided to look at BSing the way I look at governments, schools, even church to a large degree, etc. . . I could never embrace every aspect of them, but I can take the good, discuss the so-so, reject and/or advocate to change the bad, and always change my mind if things take an unexpected turn.

Your comments are unfair.

Simply because an organization opposes homosexual practice and opposes the lifestyle does not make them homophobic.

Argue that their rules prevent homosexuals from being scout leaders and you concern is accurate. Argue that they are homophobic and you are quite simply wrong, defaming both the organization and all those whose children are scouts.

Edited by pqr

I'm not sure what your objections are, so this may not help, but just in case. My son is a Lone Scout and participates in Cub Scouts without attending meetings etc. He does this because he goes to boarding school and cannot go to meetings, but I know that boys can do Lone Scouts for a variety of reasons. I don't know whether having your son be a Lone Scout would address your concerns, but it might be worth looking into. It's a lot more work for me but it's great to have something like this to work on with my son when he's home.

Sophie