Menu

Catholics and other interested parties, find a patron saint for 2011!

I used the link and let it pick for me. First, it picked St. Andrew of Avellino and I read his biography and decided to choose again. Call me a wimp, but right now I couldn't deal with a saint for the year that is the patron saint of strokes and sudden death. So, I tried again and got St. John of the Cross. I'll keep him. I have a soft spot for those Carmelites.

I'm not Catholic either. Sorry, but I don't want my patron saint to be the patron saint of people with cancer. I'm a cancer survivor, that hits a little too close to home, which may be the point. So I chose another.

I have received St. Edwin of Northumbria, Oct 12, saint of Converts; Homeless People; Kings; Large Families. Very fitting for today for some personal reasons.

My first pick was a bit depressing so I picked again. Got St. Lucy and I know quite a bit about her and ask her intercession often. Since the point is to find a "new" saint I picked again and got someone a PP already picked. In my need to be a bit unique I picked one more time and got St. Mary of Egypt. Since I had no idea who she was and since she was already "given back" by a PP I decided to keep her.

Her Feast day is April 3 and she is the patron saint of penitent women; reformed prostitutes; sexu@l temptation. As a penitent woman I found it appropriate. She lead an interesting life.

Edited by Parrothead

I got St. Matthew the Apostle, the patron saint of bankers and bookkeepers, which didn't impress me until I read the explanation page.

There was a cartoon on it that said that Matthew said the Lord said, "Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will take care of itself."

This has been my MANTRA lately! I learned a quote in high school that goes "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." I don't know if that's another version of Matthew's quote, but it sure sounds the same.....anyway, that quote has been stuck in my mind for weeks.

Weird.

I got St. Matthew the Apostle, the patron saint of bankers and bookkeepers, which didn't impress me until I read the explanation page.

There was a cartoon on it that said that Matthew said the Lord said, "Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will take care of itself."

This has been my MANTRA lately! I learned a quote in high school that goes "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." I don't know if that's another version of Matthew's quote, but it sure sounds the same.....anyway, that quote has been stuck in my mind for weeks.

Weird.

Matthew 6:34

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Maybe it can tell I'm not Catholic and just clicking it for fun. I tried it out 3 times. The first was a patron of dead children, bad marriages, and widows. The next was against drowning. The third patronizes prostitutes and penitent women.

And I thought I had such a good life.

:lol:

St. Albert the Great (Albertus Magnus), teacher of Thomas Aquinas and patron of medical personnel, schoolchildren, natural scientists and philosophers, among others.

It is by the path of love, which is charity, that God draws near to man, and man to God. But where charity is not found, God cannot dwell. If, then, we possess charity, we possess God, for “God is Charity†(1 John 4:8) Saint Albert the Great

Interesting. At first I prayed for something about helping me with writing and got St. Albert of Sicily. Patron saint of Trapani. Doesn't help me much. I tried two or three other times and got some strange ones. Gave up, then came back.

Okay - for real,yes admit interested in a saint that will help me with greater devotion. St John of God, patron saint of booksellers. That's works for me. :)

Originally Posted by newbie viewpost.gif

Tekakwitha, huh , never heard of her, but she jives w/my save the planet philosophy.

My daughter is named after Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha! She is the saint that really resonated with me when I first converted to Catholicism. :001_smile:

I was given St. Scholastica, the patron saint against rain and storms, helps convulsive children and nuns. She is often depicted with a dove because her twin brother St. Benedict saw her soul leave her body and ascend to heaven in the form of a dove. Interesting!

Tekakwitha, huh , never heard of her, but she jives w/my save the planet philosophy.

Oh oh oh, you got Kateri?! LUCKY! She was one of my favorites growing up...

I got Aloysius Gonzaga...figures...I've made fun of his basketball team in the past. (The college).

Matthew 6:34

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

That is one of my all time favourite Bible verses and I am not Christian. I try to remember it every single day.

Lovely. :) I got St. Ambrose of Milan

Patronage: Bee Keepers; Candle Makers; Domestic Animals; Learning; Students

:iagree: (or me too:001_smile:) which considering that I am really really struggling with my thesis right now was comforting.

OK - I have to ask - why Wow? Is this significant in ways I don't understand? (Obviously - but what are they?)

http://www.americancatholic.org/features/saints/saint.aspx?id=1227

Our Lady of Guadalupe is none other than The Blessed Mother, Mary of Nazareth

I said "Wow!" because, as elizabeth said, Our Lady of Guadalupe is the Blessed Mother, and what an honor to have her as your patron for the year, but also because Our Lady of Guadalupe is responsible for millions of conversions, and you said that eventually you might convert! :001_smile:

I have never heard of this tradition. I always thought of patron saints were life long (like mine would be St. Anne). Anyway I received St. George. I guess he'll help me with any dragons I encounter in 2011.

It's a Franciscan tradition. They would usually draw names. Of course you can still have your name saint or whatever lifelong patron you've always had. And St. George is cool!

Not Catholic, but a strong sympathizer (and may yet convert one of these days).

I got Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Wow oh wow!

I said "Wow!" because, as elizabeth said, Our Lady of Guadalupe is the Blessed Mother, and what an honor to have her as your patron for the year, but also because Our Lady of Guadalupe is responsible for millions of conversions, and you said that eventually you might convert! :001_smile:

I see it as a sign too.

Wow oh wow!

I see it as a sign too.

OK - WOW OH WOW OH WOW! And I didn't even understand when She picked me!

I've got the shivers and the goosebumps now.

I'm not Catholic, but I did it. I got:

St. Agnes of Rome

Feast: January 21

Patronage: Chastity; Engaged Couples; Gardeners; Girls; Rape Victims; Virgins

I guess that fits since I'm still single.

Can I ask-what does it mean to have a patron saint?

I'm not Catholic, but I did it. I got:

St. Agnes of Rome

Feast: January 21

Patronage: Chastity; Engaged Couples; Gardeners; Girls; Rape Victims; Virgins

I guess that fits since I'm still single.

Can I ask-what does it mean to have a patron saint?

It's a saint that you have a special relationship with, in this case for the year. You can learn more about the saint, ask for the saint's intercession (especially in the areas listed under patronage, which are that saint's specialties), and just generally draw closer to God and Jesus through your saint. It's like having a special friend for the year.