Menu

Please simplify Megawords for me.

Sweet Home Alabama

I feel kind of silly asking this question.

The instructions in the Teacher's Guide for using MW sound complicated to me. To follow the directions as written, there are both spelling and reading exercises and charts to fill out which I really don't want to use.

My oldest is using MW 1 and 2 this year, but honestly, she is doing EVERYTHING independently, and we haven't even used the dictation. Now, she's a 7th grader just using MW for review, so I don't think this has been a problem. Yet, if she continues using MW we both might need to understand this curriculum better since I *think* it gets harder with each book. Also when my younger ones use it in the future I would like to use it appropriately. I use MW for spelling not for reading proficiency.

I would LOVE to understand the way you all use MW. What is your routine? Do you follow all of the instructions in the Teacher's Guide, or do you make it fit your needs?

Is there anything wrong with the student using the curriculum independently and then give a traditional spelling test when he finishes a section? IOW, could a student just read and follow the directions in the student book, do the dictation (or not), and take spelling tests to check each spelling list?

I need someone to simplify the instructions from the Teacher's Guide for me into a daily/weekly routine that I can understand.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

MW is strictly supplemental for us. I give a pre-test of 40 words when we get to a new list. I choose the words based on what I think my kid needs to work on. The words I use for my oldest are more challenging than words from the same book for my son.

I have my dd do a page a day, or every other day. If I need to dictate syllables or words, I'll do that. Otherwise, I don't do any of the dictation there. I don't require my dd to make up sentences using the words. That's just busywork she could be spending on an actual writing curriculum.

Then we do a post-test after the last of the worksheets for that list. You can have your student keep a running list of missed words to review, then test those periodically as well, say, once a month.

MW is strictly supplemental for us. I give a pre-test of 40 words when we get to a new list. I choose the words based on what I think my kid needs to work on. The words I use for my oldest are more challenging than words from the same book for my son.

I have my dd do a page a day, or every other day. If I need to dictate syllables or words, I'll do that. Otherwise, I don't do any of the dictation there. I don't require my dd to make up sentences using the words. That's just busywork she could be spending on an actual writing curriculum.

Then we do a post-test after the last of the worksheets for that list. You can have your student keep a running list of missed words to review, then test those periodically as well, say, once a month.

Thanks, Brenda! This makes me feel better about the way we're using MW.

Anyone else? How much do you all modify MW to fit your needs?

Here is a thread (with links to other threads) that may help:

Megawords...How to use it?

I used Megawords mostly as directed. I gave ds the pre-test for each book and used the results to skip (or not) certain parts of lists (mostly reading). Ds would complete the pages for each list and I would test as directed. To keep it simple, I stayed on one list in general.

HTH!

Here is a thread (with links to other threads) that may help:

Megawords...How to use it?

I used Megawords mostly as directed. I gave ds the pre-test for each book and used the results to skip (or not) certain parts of lists (mostly reading). Ds would complete the pages for each list and I would test as directed. To keep it simple, I stayed on one list in general.

HTH!

Sue, this is very helpful! Thanks so much!