Menu

Netflix streaming

Netflix will send you a disc that, every time you want to stream, you put in your Wii and get it spinning. Netflix chooses selections in different genres, which can include very inappropriate (rated R, horror, sexual, etc.) choices. As far as I can tell, there's no way to delete these off the streaming.

In spite of this, we have really enjoyed instant streaming. My ds has watched the Avatar series, Invader Zim (now there's a cartoon that'll drive you nuts), etc. There are lots of Travel, History, and Discovery Channel shows. We are currently watching all the Monk seasons and absolutely loving them.

Hope this helps.

If you have a new model Wii you don't need the disc. You go to the internet channel and download internet channel for free and then you choose the Netflix channel and download it for free. All this is done on the Wii.

You do need wireless internet. Lots of great history and Nat'l Geographic shows. Plus plenty of movies, TV series etc. Go to Netflix.com and check it out-you don't need to join to get a sample of titles.

Netflix will send you a disc that, every time you want to stream, you put in your Wii and get it spinning. Netflix chooses selections in different genres, which can include very inappropriate (rated R, horror, sexual, etc.) choices. As far as I can tell, there's no way to delete these off the streaming.

In spite of this, we have really enjoyed instant streaming. My ds has watched the Avatar series, Invader Zim (now there's a cartoon that'll drive you nuts), etc. There are lots of Travel, History, and Discovery Channel shows. We are currently watching all the Monk seasons and absolutely loving them.

Hope this helps.

You actually don't even need the disk now. Just set it up last week. it's done through a one time email verification on your computer with a code given on the wii. that's it. after that you just go to the netflix channel on your wii menu.

This is sounding good so far.

If we have an xbox360 upstairs and a wii downstairs, can we get it on both tvs or do we have to have 2 subscriptions?

I can watch on the computer and TV at the same time on one subscription. I don't know why this would be any different. They may have a limit on number of devices but I've never checked so I don't know.

To OP: While the streaming-only option is attractive, please note that most recent-run movies are NOT available to stream, so you will not be able to see those titles unless you pay the extra $2/month to also get discs sent. (I'm not sure if there is a further charge to get those titles in high definition.)

Let me tell you why I love this: my husband selects (from the computer) what is available on the Wii. So my kids can choose from Pink Panther, Addam's Family, a bunch of movies, etc., but can't pick anything that my dh hasn't vetted.
:iagree:

We also can stream Hulu Plus from from our Blu-ray player and it allows full search and browsing of material to stream. There is NO way to filter what comes through. Even the filters built into the player do not seem to affect Hulu Plus, though they DO affect other streaming services that are available on that box. While it is an extra step, it is nice that I have full control over what shows up on Netflix.

This is sounding good so far.

If we have an xbox360 upstairs and a wii downstairs, can we get it on both tvs or do we have to have 2 subscriptions?

Yes.
I can watch on the computer and TV at the same time on one subscription. I don't know why this would be any different. They may have a limit on number of devices but I've never checked so I don't know.
I'm pretty sure they said the limit is six.

We regularly use our Wii for Netflix streaming. It's wonderful, and now that you don't need the disc, it is very quick to get going. The programs and movies that are available to stream change regularly. You can set up a queue of movies/tv shows to watch or you can browse from your tv. We don't have any parental controls set (our dc are college age and have their own Netflix accounts so they can watch movies while at school), but friends tell me they do, so there is a way to set them. It is worth the monthly fee to have access to all the streaming movies and tv shows.

You actually don't even need the disk now. Just set it up last week. it's done through a one time email verification on your computer with a code given on the wii. that's it. after that you just go to the netflix channel on your wii menu.
I don't know about the newer Wiis, but on ours, we had to download the Netflix channel by going into the Wii Shop channel. This is a free download, but it does take some space either on the Wii or on the SD card in the Wii.

FWIW, we have pretty limited internet speeds (~1 Mbps) and we have found Netflix streaming on the Wii to be somewhat problematic. Netflix streams fine on our Blu-ray player, though. It's easy enough to try it out with the free month trial period. That's actually what we are doing over the holidays while the college students are home!

We love having the option to stream through our Wii. You can go on their website and start browsing what they have. You can find just about any kind of movie you can imagine on Netflix, but like pp said, not all of them are on instant streaming. Enough movies are on instant streaming that I have seriously considered dropping down to instant streaming only. My kids just watched all 3 seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender while we took December off from school work.

You can put on parental controls. I set it up on my Netflix account online so that we can only watch PG-13 and below movies. The disadvantage is that you don't have any sort of override code to type in when you want to watch something that you wouldn't allow dc to watch. You have to go online and change the parental controls, and Netflix says it may take up to 8 hours for the changes to get through to your streaming device (I doubt it would take that long, but you never know). Also, we only let our dc choose from movies that we have previously added to our instant queue--that helps with the filtering.

You wouldn't need 2 separate accounts to use Netflix on different devices. We have it on our iPod Touch as well as the Wii with no problems. I haven't tried watching different things at the same time, but I don't have enough bandwidth to be streaming 2 movies simultaneously, anyway.