Menu

What math curriculum do YOU use and why does it work for YOUR dc?

wy_kid_wrangler04

I also like the way that R&S fits the "Classical" mold to me. We focus on memorizing the math facts a lot w/R&S and recite them almost daily the same way that we recite poetry or latin verb endings in other subjects. The plans for the memorization are in the T.Ms, so I don't have to plan this or think about it.

:iagree: I really like R&S's focus on cementing the basics. My 5 year old is very "mathy" and is flying through the first grade book. My 4th grader is working at grade level. He used Saxon for a while, but didn't like jumping around with topics.

My 8th grader is working in Saxon Algebra 1/2 and will move into Saxon Algebra 1 in August or September. At this time my plan is to have them all use Saxon for High School.

My daughter is using the Math Mammoth blue series. We previously used MEP and Miquon, which I liked better than she did. She finds manipulatives confusing and unhelpful.

Math Mammoth works for her because it doesn't require any major cognitive leaps, and is written to the student. She doesn't like me to teach her, but is happy to do what the book says.

I like the blue series rather than the light blue because it allows me to decide for myself how to offer the material. Lately, I've been having her do work from two different books each week.

I chose Singapore because I like the basic foundations it lays, and it was a good fit particularly for my oldest, who is a very conceptual thinker. He just gets math quickly, and hates lots of repetition (ala Saxon).

I've stuck with Singapore for my others, even though they all have different learning styles and some struggle more than others.

My 6th grader is finishing with Singapore 6A/B, but I've added Life of Fred because she needs more reinforcement for fractions and decimals, and I think the "change of pace" will be good for her.

I tend to be a stick-in-the-mud with curriculum - I just don't change things unless we hit total and un-repairable disaster.

I want to know why you chose the math curriculum you did for your dc. I use MEP as our primary program. We will be supplementing with Math Mammoth Blue sheets for measurement and money because MEP is a British program and we're in the US, and several months ago I bought Singapore's CWP books for 1st and 2nd grades and just started those.

What do you like about that curriculum and what learning style does it work with and why? I chose MEP because it fits with Ariel's learning style (primarily Sociable Sue, hands-on and visual), it's easy to teach, doesn't take too much time and has a variety of activities. Being free doesn't hurt, either. :D We originally used RS, which I love, but it simply took too long to get through each day. We use the RS manipulatives with the MEP lessons, and have all the Miquon books for when we need a change. I use pieces of multiple programs because, quite frankly, we get bored and need a change from time to time.

Oh, also can you tell me about your dc math skills? Are they natural mathy? Do they struggle? Ariel is neither naturally mathy nor a struggling math student, but pretty quick on the uptake, most of the time.

Are they hands on? More wiggly than most? Hands on and visual, but absolutely must have interaction in her lessons. Her motto in life is "Let's do it together!" and is least happy doing entirely independent work.

This is our third year using Singapore with both of my boys. It works well for both of them. They are naturally mathy, have strong mental math skills (and did before beginning this curriculum) and have no attentional issues. We have supplemented with Life of Fred fractions to help cement that concept, but Singapore meets our needs well. :001_smile:

Do you use only Singapore wk bks and textbooks or IP and CWP also? I use IP, but haven't used CWP much. In fact, ds8 is doing SM 3B now with IP, but we don't even have CWP 3.

Guest GlutenFreeFamily

My DS is currently using a program I had never heard of until I happened across it last year. It is called Excel Math. It is used in public schools but they sell it in a "homeschool kit". We had been using MUS for 4 years, but we were seeing that it did not contain enough review for our son. My husband (a former math teacher) loved the look of this curriculum.

I can tell you my son has excelled with it! He didn't like the format at first due to being SO different than MUS. But now, he really gets it.

One of the things that we really like are the "checkbox answers". The program groups 3-4 math problems together and then in the corner of the box has the cumulative answer for all the problems. When my son finishes the problem, he adds up all the answer and knows right away if one is wrong. He will then go back and try to find the mistake. When we first started, he had a hard time knowing how to look for a mistake. Now, he goes works on the sheet and may have one problem he needs help with.

Also, this program takes no to little time to prepare. I can just open and go. So I love that:) It also has a brain teaser for the child to do everyday. That has become the favorite part of DS's day. After every test, there is also a "Create a Problem" section. The student has to read a story and then create his own story problems and solve the problems he creates. Once again, it was hard at first and he now whips through them very quickly.

The downside, the company only makes it for K - 6th. The website has placement tests and customer service is very helpful. The plus side? The whole year only costs $50:)