Menu

Anybody here have a Cricut?

I have a Cricut that I really like and while I don't get to use it as often as I would *like* ;), I do use it for crafts, school projects, and of course, scrapbooking. :D

I recently saw a fantastic deal on the Cricut Expression, which included 3 more cartridges and am considering upgrading.

Has anybody here done that? Is it worth the upgrade, it's still kind of pricey and I'm not sure I could sell my original Cricut for much. :001_unsure:

How much better is the Expression?? :bigear:

Well, I have one of the ones that does the 6x12 sheets, and I was thinking the same thing. I want to make envelopes for 4x6 notecards, and I can't do that on my current Cricut. A good friend of mine upgraded, and I used hers at a crop. I think I will eventually upgrade, but just can't justify the expense right now since the one I have covers most of my scrapbooking and paper crafting needs.

I have the expression. Of course, I knew it was coming when the first one was released... friends in "high places" and all that (I worked closely with the people who helped design it).

IMO, the small Cricut is adequate for small jobs. But the Expression really can take things up a "notch" so-to-speak. Larger format cards/envelopes, large letters (nice for home decor), and all of your images (again, home decor) upsised as well. After you've cut out a 12" snowflake, the 6" snowflake looks so... puny.

It doesn't make sense to own both, though. And happilly the cartridges may be used in the expression as well.

That said, if you are happy with your Cricut -- but long for a bit more flexibility with your creativity -- I would direct you to the Pazzles Inspiration. The Pazzles Inspiration will cut the sizes, and you can literally cut out anything you can digitize. Most True Type Fonts (which you have on your computer) will cut out... and you can "weld" images & titles and more.

There are groups that have "free" downloads, plus there are the huge catlogues of images already done... cost-wise, it's a much better bang for your value. There is a bit higher "learning curve" -- but it pays off in many ways too.

The Inspiration also uses standard Sakura Gel pens for detail color (automated, of course), can engrave, emboss, and can also cut out stamps, etc. It is compatible with some of the same replacement parts (blades, mats, vinyl) as the Cricut... so those are as close as your local store.

It is a bit more expensive up front -- but you don't have to purchase more cartridges if you don't want to.

Just throwing this out there.

FWIW, I own both the Cricut Expression and the Pazzles Inspiration. I own the Expression for the licensed images, and some of the stuff I don't want to do myself, and for the kids to use (easier to use). The Inspiration is my "go-to" machine.

I have the expression. Of course, I knew it was coming when the first one was released... friends in "high places" and all that (I worked closely with the people who helped design it).

IMO, the small Cricut is adequate for small jobs. But the Expression really can take things up a "notch" so-to-speak. Larger format cards/envelopes, large letters (nice for home decor), and all of your images (again, home decor) upsised as well. After you've cut out a 12" snowflake, the 6" snowflake looks so... puny.

It doesn't make sense to own both, though. And happilly the cartridges may be used in the expression as well.

That said, if you are happy with your Cricut -- but long for a bit more flexibility with your creativity -- I would direct you to the Pazzles Inspiration. The Pazzles Inspiration will cut the sizes, and you can literally cut out anything you can digitize. Most True Type Fonts (which you have on your computer) will cut out... and you can "weld" images & titles and more.

There are groups that have "free" downloads, plus there are the huge catlogues of images already done... cost-wise, it's a much better bang for your value. There is a bit higher "learning curve" -- but it pays off in many ways too.

The Inspiration also uses standard Sakura Gel pens for detail color (automated, of course), can engrave, emboss, and can also cut out stamps, etc. It is compatible with some of the same replacement parts (blades, mats, vinyl) as the Cricut... so those are as close as your local store.

It is a bit more expensive up front -- but you don't have to purchase more cartridges if you don't want to.

Just throwing this out there.

FWIW, I own both the Cricut Expression and the Pazzles Inspiration. I own the Expression for the licensed images, and some of the stuff I don't want to do myself, and for the kids to use (easier to use). The Inspiration is my "go-to" machine.

You can do the same thing with your cricut by purchasing the sure cuts alot software. It allows you to design, weld, use other fonts, etc and cut them with a cricut. We have the big cricut (I forget the name because it is actually my dh's :D) and he bought the software for $80ish, I think. He never uses the cartridges. I have taken to using them, though.