Menu

Need a 2nd grade phonics workbook. Suggestions?

Tabrett

What I want is a complete review of phonics in a workbook format for a dc who has already been through a phonics course.

I would like the workbook to be phonics only, self explanatory or teacher instructions included in text, only schedule a couple pages a day, bright and colorful. Does this exist?

At the moment I am looking at 2nd grade R&S Phonics wb's. I'm not sure if the TM is necessary for R&S. R&S doesn't have any color and it feels kinda dry.

Is there anything else out there that would work other than R&S 2nd phonics wb's?

I plan on using R&S 2nd Grammar and maybe 2nd grade readers, but not the reading wb's. Do the phonics wb's correspond with the grammar and reading books or are they completely independent?

I already have a spelling program that I am happy with, so I don't want my phonics to be tied to spelling.

Suggestions?:bigear:

Abeka? It's colorful. You assign about a page a day and it covers all phonics. It can easily be used without a teacher's manual.

Is the A Beka wb Letters and Sounds 2? I found a sample, but it only showed one page. Is there a website that shows more samples of the book? Do you need the TM?

I used R&S 2nd grade phonics and will again next year. To answer your questions: No it is not tied to the English, reading, or spelling. It is completely stand alone. Actually it may be tied to the reading lessons in that the stories may encompass words that use the rules you have studied, but I am not sure since we didn't use the 2nd grade Reading.

No, you probably don't need the T.M. It is pretty self sufficient. Although I did need it a few times to figure out what a picture was, and at the beginning of the year to understand the method they use to teach reading. (Ra, Re, Ri, Ro, Ru..) So it did come in handy some, and it is inexpensive.

I love the MCP Plaid Phonics workbooks. I don't own the TMs for either of the levels I have because we're just using them for reinforcement, but they're very colorful and dd actually enjoys them. ETC workbooks aren't colorful and my dd thought the pictures were weird. I know lots of people love them, but I thought I'd mention that since it sounds like color is important to you.

I love the MCP Plaid Phonics workbooks. I don't own the TMs for either of the levels I have because we're just using them for reinforcement, but they're very colorful and dd actually enjoys them. ETC workbooks aren't colorful and my dd thought the pictures were weird. I know lots of people love them, but I thought I'd mention that since it sounds like color is important to you.

100% :iagree:

We are using MCP first grade workbook right now for reinforcement but I have the second grade workbook too and I can't wait to start it. My son LOVES, loves, LOVES Mcp, and I do too. :)

100% :iagree:

We are using MCP first grade workbook right now for reinforcement but I have the second grade workbook too and I can't wait to start it. My son LOVES, loves, LOVES Mcp, and I do too. :)

How many pages does a child do a day and is it more than phonics: does it incorporate LA and spelling?

I have all of the R&S Phonics Workbooks and TM. I like them and I would get the TM IMHO even though it seems you do not have rely on it heavily. Some of the pictures are not obvious as to what they are and the TM comes in handy. The TM also explained some rules to me that I was not familiar with which helped me explain it to ds:)

Here's what I've used and liked in tutoring:

http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/CarsonDellosa/PID-0769682928.aspx

You can actually see a sample of it here:

http://www.christianbook.com/spectrum-phonics-2007-edition-grade-2/0769682928/pd/682928?event=CF#curr

If the second grade book seems too simple, check out the third grade level. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

How many pages does a child do a day and is it more than phonics: does it incorporate LA and spelling?

There are different versions of the MCP Plaid Phonics, but this is the version I have for book B.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765226200?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0765226200

The contents are:

1. Initial, Medial, and Final Consonants

2. Short Vowels

3. Long Vowels

4. Compound words; hard and soft c,g; blends; y as a vowel; diagraphs; r-controlled vowels

5. Contractions, Endings, Suffixes

6. Vowel Pairs, Vowel Diagraphs, Dipthongs

7. Prefixes, Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms

There are about 235 front/back pages so how many pages you do each day depends on your schedule.

Here are some snaps of a few pages from the second grade book picked at random.

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

There are different versions of the MCP Plaid Phonics, but this is the version I have for book B.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765226200?ie=UTF8&tag=whispesprin0e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0765226200

The contents are:

1. Initial, Medial, and Final Consonants

2. Short Vowels

3. Long Vowels

4. Compound words; hard and soft c,g; blends; y as a vowel; diagraphs; r-controlled vowels

5. Contractions, Endings, Suffixes

6. Vowel Pairs, Vowel Diagraphs, Dipthongs

7. Prefixes, Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms

There are about 235 front/back pages so how many pages you do each day depends on your schedule.

Here are some snaps of a few pages from the second grade book picked at random.

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

Zenz,

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. It really helps!

Thanks for those pictures, Zenz! It's sometimes hard to find good samples for those books, and I had been thinking of using them at some point (not right now, but maybe for next year, as we'll probably finish OPGTR by then and just need something workbooky for review - my DS loves workbooks). Comparing ETC and MCP, it looked like MCP would be easier to tell what the pictures are.