Menu

Curriculum suggestions and advice, please

hsmom

This will be for next year (2nd grade). This is what I feel I need. Something that is scripted, but able to tweak where it is needed. Has everything lined out for me, but still able to wonder off at places. I need something that has it all lined out for me, so those times I feel I am dropping the ball I can stop see where we should be and helps me keep on track. I still need hand holding at times, those moments I just don't feel as if I am doing what I need to do.

We need something that has a nice schedule, that I can still add in fun activities here and there without feeling we are over doing everything. Yet in all this I do not want only textbooks and workbooks. Nor a lot of busy work. I would like straight forward to the point, yet fun and easy to work with.

Is there such a thing out there?:confused: Or am I dreaming?

See I like McRuffy because I can open up the book and get it done. There is activities and such. Now I am not impressed with the fact that I feel as if I am teaching more grammar than needed at this age. My 6yr old could careless what a verb is and how to use it. Which is making it where we are doing less and less of the McRuffy LA lately. Or I find myself skipping here and there to fit our needs. Which of course is good, but if I continue to use McRuffy he will be behind in the next level if I don't do those lessons. Make sense?

So, scripted, fun, easy to use and still not all workbooks, textbooks and busy work.

I am trying to get back on track with our studies and feel we really need a change. Any help and suggestions would be awesome.

Do you mind Christian content? If so check out HOD Bigger or Beyond.

I'm using LHFHG with Beyond Math and LA for my 1st grader this year. Next year, for 2nd grade, I will use Beyond with Bigger for Math and LA. I find that I can easily add or subtract from the program without getting overwhelmed or behind. It uses workbooks for math and handwriting. Grammar is R&S and it is done orally and written. The rest is taught through CM methods.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I haven't done 2nd grade yet but perhaps look at Living Books Curriculum. At 2nd grade it includes everything but math if I remember correctly. It's not a textbook curric. and is CM based so I wouldn't expect the grammar to be much at that level.

Which subjects did you want to cover?

I was actually really considering changing everything, but our math.

Also we would like to cover Ancients this year coming up. Have a very hands on Science program and a great Art program.

Edited by hsmom

Definitely check out Oak Meadow. It's scheduled by week, so you have a ton of flexibility as far as which activities you do which day. It's a great base program, and you would have time to add extras. It includes social studies, language arts, math, science, recorder, and art. I think most people use a more formal program for math but it depends on your child.