Menu

Delicate question

If you have ever had hemorrhoid surgery, can you tell me everything about it? My husband is probably going to have to have this done, and I don't know anything about the procedure, recovery, etc. Feel free to pm me if you are more comfortable with that. Thank you.

Well, I don't mind talking about my butt.:tongue_smilie:

I had laser "surgery" this summer on mine. It was painless, with no recovery. Anesthetic is not used. It did.not.hurt. It was done in-office. The down side is that it often needs more than one treatment. However, I have had significant relief from one treatment and have not been back for more. It is somewhat newish as procedures go, but it is worth looking into. The old surgeries have a lot of pain and recovery time associated with them, as I understand.

Well, I don't mind talking about my butt.:tongue_smilie:

I had laser "surgery" this summer on mine. It was painless, with no recovery. Anesthetic is not used. It did.not.hurt. It was done in-office. The down side is that it often needs more than one treatment. However, I have had significant relief from one treatment and have not been back for more. It is somewhat newish as procedures go, but it is worth looking into. The old surgeries have a lot of pain and recovery time associated with them, as I understand.

Can I pm you with details about my husband so maybe you can tell me a little more?

As an old nurse; they used to say not to have it done until the pain was bad enough to be worth the pain of the surgery. I like the idea of the laser.

He has had them lanced 5 times, and I'm pretty sure he would let them cut off his leg to get rid of the pain right now. I'm going to research the laser. He has an appointment with the surgeon for Jan. 7th.

As an old nurse; they used to say not to have it done until the pain was bad enough to be worth the pain of the surgery. I like the idea of the laser.

:iagree:My dad and a friend had surgery (my friend's surgery was recent) and the pain was way beyond anything they realized they would have, and it was really bad. :sad: I sure do hope your dh can have laser treatment instead. Poor guy!!!

I'm in tears, ladies. He is such a strong guy and this pain is killing him. He had them lanced and drained yesterday, and two are already swelling up again. He is miserable. I am terrified of the pain he will have after surgery. He is pretty sure nothing can be worse than what he is going through now, but I'm afraid he is wrong. And from the research I have done on the laser option today, it seems he won't be a candidate for it. :crying:

And the booger is adamant he is going to work tomorrow. I hope and pray I can talk him out of it.

OK here goes. Has he been using a sitz bath with warm water for 20 min per hour? Anusol suppositories? If not these will change his life. He needs to eat 3-4 pears every day while the lanced areas heal. The sitz bath is a miracle. Water as hot as he can take it.

Yes to the baths, maybe not that often, but several times a day. Yes to the Anusol supp and he has Anusol cream as well. He has tried everything. :(

Here is my street cred on this issue. The local ER got my records mixed with moms as our birthdates are identical. She is allergic to any topical "caine" medications thus ...they lanced a hemorrhoid at my direction without topical anesthetic . Numbing the area was evil. Pure evil. That was a b#$%&. That said, I am aghast that they sent him home without pain meds or at least valium so he did not give a dam* how wretched he felt. Poor soul. I hope you get the sitz and anusol known sold as tucks http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQ7MS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GG2HG8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GSZ3C5JA7WTNV2W6AQT as this is really bad pain. I know you are a nurse and likely know all this but convincing men to sit on a plastic bowl put on the toilet rim to soak their bits and fanny in scalding water is not an easy sell. It will work. He will loathe you for a short time but he shall be grateful in short order.

Oh heck with it, call the Doc and get the poor fellow some meds. At least give a him a medicinal dose of whiskey and really hot sitz. Poor guy. I had surgery and have never regretted it. I also had really fine meds on board. My mom had outpatient surgery (because she is a superhero) with no pain pills and only local anesthetic. She is secretly Spiderman, I swear.

Here is my street cred on this issue. The local ER got my records mixed with moms as our birthdates are identical. She is allergic to any topical "caine" medications thus ...they lanced a hemorrhoid at my direction without topical anesthetic . Numbing the area was evil. Pure evil. That was a b#$%&. That said, I am aghast that they sent him home without pain meds or at least valium so he did not give a dam* how wretched he felt. Poor soul. I hope you get the sitz and anusol known sold as tucks http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ECQ7MS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GG2HG8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0GSZ3C5JA7WTNV2W6AQT as this is really bad pain. I know you are a nurse and likely know all this but convincing men to sit on a plastic bowl put on the toilet rim to soak their bits and fanny in scalding water is not an easy sell. It will work. He will loathe you for a short time but he shall be grateful in short order.

Oh they gave him Percocet and Ibuprofen 800mg. It's not touching it, and he is very sensitive to pain meds. He is in misery. He is honestly way past the Tucks pads and Anusol being much help, but he is still using them. It's bad. The ER doc told him she had never seen a case like his before. :(

Your poor DH, I said a prayer for him.

I cannot recall a patient who didn't say "gosh that was a bad surgery, but I'm glad I had it". Basically, you can't put your anus on bedrest. You have to keep using it. So, expect some unhappiness, but a good outcome.

:lol::lol::lol: I cannot stop laughing.

He has had them lanced 5 times, and I'm pretty sure he would let them cut off his leg to get rid of the pain right now. I'm going to research the laser. He has an appointment with the surgeon for Jan. 7th.

Hubby got the laser done after months of being in pain. No anasthesia. It is an outpatient procedure done in less than 20 minutes -- not a real surgery.

The IRC laser goes in via a "opener" in the rectum. NO PAIN. They use lots of KY Jelly -- so it can be messy to clean up and get dressed afterwards. The laser can only do one hemorrhoid per session. It was a 2 week wait between laser treatments and the hassle was worth it!! He returned to work that same day and felt immediate relief.

Hubby strongly recs it to anyone who suffers from chronic hemorrhoids. PM me more if ya need to. Prayers!! HTH

Edited by tex-mex

I cannot recall a patient who didn't say "gosh that was a bad surgery, but I'm glad I had it". Basically, you can't put your anus on bedrest. You have to keep using it. So, expect some unhappiness, but a good outcome.

Thank you. That is the best quote ever on WTM. I bet Nance will put it on her list. It made me laugh, but it's so dang true. He needs the surgery, plain and simple.