Menu

CAT - could someone tell me about this test please

We are planning on testing this year and the only "for sure" option is the CAT. Someone may offer the Stanford in late spring, but not sure yet. I have to commit to the CAT before knowing if the Stanford is a go or not. I know about the Iowa, but I do not know anything about the CAT. Could someone tell me about it please?

We are planning on testing this year and the only "for sure" option is the CAT. Someone may offer the Stanford in late spring, but not sure yet. I have to commit to the CAT before knowing if the Stanford is a go or not. I know about the Iowa, but I do not know anything about the CAT. Could someone tell me about it please?

The CAT lasts about two hours and consists of 120 questions broken into six sub-tests. Questions are multiple choice. We do not officially prepare for test, but I do like to purchase the Spectrum Test Prep books each year, so that my boys have an idea as to the format of the test questions.

Krista

Krista is correct.

120 questions, and takes much less time than the ITBS. It's also under $30 if purchased from Seton. Parents can give the test, and no degree is necessary to administer or order it through them. However, the test is normed in the

80s. There are more current editions available elsewhere.

We've used the Seton CAT and the ITBS from BJU. Imo, the shorter CAT is very good for younger students or first time test takers. The ITBS is what we have to use here to meet our state requirements, or I would stick with the less expensive and time consuming one. ymmv

The following provide tests to homeschool families:

https://www.familylearning.org/tests_cat.php

http://www.pesdirect.com/

http://www.setonhome.org/

http://www.bjupress.com/testing/

Edited by Tammyla

There are different versions of the CAT available. The one Seton sells provides very little in the way of information in the results. I felt it was basically worthless. The Iowa, by contrast, provided a detailed breakdown about the specific topics so I could see areas of relative strength and weakness.

If we test again in the future (it's not required in our state), I will be using the ITBS or perhaps the Stanford rather than the CAT.

:iagree:

There are different versions of the CAT available. The one Seton sells provides very little in the way of information in the results. I felt it was basically worthless. The Iowa, by contrast, provided a detailed breakdown about the specific topics so I could see areas of relative strength and weakness.

If we test again in the future (it's not required in our state), I will be using the ITBS or perhaps the Stanford rather than the CAT.

I tested ds when he was in 9th with the CAT. I didn't gain ANY insights into his strengths and weaknesses. Funny thing was, the next year, we used it again--and it was the exact.same.test. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't have to test the next year, because ds turned 18 his Jr. year.

I used the ITBS for dd, and it was great! Much more info, and her elementary school (she went for 3rd and 5th) appreciated the results.

It depends on your reason for testing, I guess. If you are just testing to meet state requirements and you want something that likely isn't going to be overly stressful for your kid, the CAT from Seton will meet that purpose.

That's assuming you're not testing just to try to find out your kid's strengths and weaknesses, because as others have said, the results you get back from them won't be very helpful in that regard- but with that said, as a homeschooling parent, you probably ALREADY know your child's strengths and weaknesses!

Still, if you want that confirmed for you with more itemized results and scores and so on, and that's your primary purpose, go with a different test.

I used the CAT from Seton last year for my daughter for 4th grade, introducing it as something we were doing "for fun"- it was NOT a required testing year for us- but I wanted to get an idea of what the test would be like and how she would do with it BEFORE it was a required year where I had to turn something in to the district.

The results didn't tell me much about her strengths/weaknesses, but, then, like I said, I already knew/know what those were. I did find the test to be cost effective, pretty non-stressful for her, scored and returned to me quickly, and it will meet state requirements, so I intend to go with that one again this year (which IS a required testing year for us).

We got the CAT test from Thurber's. There are many different sections. I think there is a more basic CAT test that some other posters may have been referring to.

Ours took much more than 2 hours to complete and there were percentiles, grade-level equivalents, etc. for many different subjects and sub-categories. So, we did get some feedback on how our daugher was doing.

We do it every year to fulfill state requirements, but it also serves to help guide us in our homeschooling. For example, my dd did very well in most every subject except spelling, so this year we added a spelling curriculum and did a little more in spelling.

It also reassured us that she was doing fine. It is easy to get anxious and worried that your child isn't learning everything they are "supposed" to be learning. But then, when tested, you find out that your child is doing fine, even if you didn't cover all the material the schools are supposed to cover.

as a homeschooling parent, you probably ALREADY know your child's strengths and weaknesses!

That is true to a certain extent, but depending on which curricula you have chosen you may not realize areas where you have overlooked. I wasn't surprised by the overall results of the ITBS but I discovered certain areas where my DD needed more work- estimation in math, punctuation & capitalization in English, making inferences in reading. I don't worry about the state standards all that much but as my kids will most likely be attending private high school, I need to make sure they have covered everything they need in order to score well on admissions tests.