Menu

Anyone use Reading Made Easy by Valerie Bendt

Jennay

I'm thinking of using this for my next beginning reader. First DS taught himself to read at age 2 (!) and phonics programs were useless, Second DS primarily used Explode the Code Books 1-3 and took off from there.

I think my DD might respond well to this book.

A couple questions - did you supplement with other beginning readers like BOB books, MCP readers, etc. or was the practice in the book enough?

Did you supplement with any workbooks like ETC or was RME enough?

I have used Reading Made Easy for years. I have taught my own children to read using it (except my oldest son who taught himself also) and I have taught other people's children to read using it. It is truly my favorite phonics program and recommend it to everyone. It now has a cd or workbooks that are similar to ETC so I do not think you will need both. I used it before the cd, and have used it with the cd. My children learned to read without it, but it is a good supplement. I am quite surprised it is not any more popular than it is, it is all in one book, takes just a few minutes a day, and gets your child reading easily, while still preserving their love of reading. The latter was the most important to me, there are so many programs out there that kill the joy of reading by making it more difficult than it needs to be. HTH!

Yep, agreeing with the pp. I first found RME as a brand new homeschooler with an almost-5yo who was ready to learn to read. I was scared to death of teaching phonics, though, as I knew how important of a subject it was. Like, if I don't get this one thing right, then everything else will be a failure! So I searched and found something scripted, easy to use, and inexpensive. RME was a perfect fit.

This was in 2000 before all the supplemental stuff was available for it. That dd is/was a natural reader and learned easily, so I never added anything to it for her other than reading lots of books which we already did. (We were using Five in a Row at the time.) Besides the reading exercises that are built into RME, the only "readers" she used were Dr. Seuss books. From there it was all real books.

By the time dd #2 was ready to learn to read, I had sold RME and used something different with her. But dd #1 was very upset with me when she found out I'd sold RME, as she LOVED that program! I did all the little suggested games and flashcards and color coding it suggests, using black and gray crayons and black marker for the color coding and marking of different sounds. I also had dd use a white board with colored markers for her copywork. Being the artistic creature that she is, this idea was *perfect* for her. Some no-nonsense kids might prefer to just write it on a piece of paper, though.

I like how copywork and picture study are incorporated into RME, too.

RME is really very Charlotte Mason'ish, but it uses the techniques of color coding and marking for the "phonics rules" portion of it without giving all the rules a formal name. Then she got phonics reinforcement through her spelling program, Building Spelling Skills from Christian Liberty Press.

I'm now using RME with dd #3 who has Apraxia of Speech and is delayed in her reading and language arts. I've used MANY things with this child, and so far RME seems to be working really well. DD #1 had told me a long time ago to "just use Reading Made Easy, Mom", but I didn't re-buy and give it a try until very recently. I think I should've listened to my oldest dd. ;)

I haven't started spelling with dd #3 yet, but I have All About Spelling here to use with her, as I think she may be dyslexic. I hope to start during the next month, but I may find that it isn't necessary. I got it in a desperate attempt to help things click, but that was before I started RME with her, and now I fear that all the "rules" and mechanics in AAS may just confuse her. We'll see what happens over the coming weeks.... but definitely two :thumbup: for RME with both a natural reader and a delayed/possibly dyslexic reader.

I use RME here too and love it. I've tried SO many reading/phonics programs over the years but this is the one we've stuck with. We also use the CD, basically like ETC workbooks but the lessons tie in exactly with the program. It's a great combo. I also received an email from her (maybe a year ago??) With ready made printable letter and word cards to print out. Might want to check her website for those, makes it even easier.

I highly recommend Reading Made Easy. I have no idea why it isn't mentioned more here.

I have it too and I think it's a great program. We have the optional workbooks, which are nice. I heard of RME after I had already purchased and started using McRuffy phonics. I saw a used copy for sale here and I couldn't resist at least trying it and seeing what it was like. Sooo....I've been kinda using both. My daughter loves them both and won't let me get rid of either of them. I highly recommend RME.

I have used Reading Made Easy for years. I have taught my own children to read using it (except my oldest son who taught himself also) and I have taught other people's children to read using it. It is truly my favorite phonics program and recommend it to everyone. It now has a cd or workbooks that are similar to ETC so I do not think you will need both. I used it before the cd, and have used it with the cd. My children learned to read without it, but it is a good supplement. I am quite surprised it is not any more popular than it is, it is all in one book, takes just a few minutes a day, and gets your child reading easily, while still preserving their love of reading. The latter was the most important to me, there are so many programs out there that kill the joy of reading by making it more difficult than it needs to be. HTH!

Do you think it would be better to get the CD for the workbooks or the workbooks that are already printed? How many pages are in each one?

Yep, agreeing with the pp. I first found RME as a brand new homeschooler with an almost-5yo who was ready to learn to read. I was scared to death of teaching phonics, though, as I knew how important of a subject it was. Like, if I don't get this one thing right, then everything else will be a failure! So I searched and found something scripted, easy to use, and inexpensive. RME was a perfect fit.

This was in 2000 before all the supplemental stuff was available for it. That dd is/was a natural reader and learned easily, so I never added anything to it for her other than reading lots of books which we already did. (We were using Five in a Row at the time.) Besides the reading exercises that are built into RME, the only "readers" she used were Dr. Seuss books. From there it was all real books.

By the time dd #2 was ready to learn to read, I had sold RME and used something different with her. But dd #1 was very upset with me when she found out I'd sold RME, as she LOVED that program! I did all the little suggested games and flashcards and color coding it suggests, using black and gray crayons and black marker for the color coding and marking of different sounds. I also had dd use a white board with colored markers for her copywork. Being the artistic creature that she is, this idea was *perfect* for her. Some no-nonsense kids might prefer to just write it on a piece of paper, though.

I like how copywork and picture study are incorporated into RME, too.

RME is really very Charlotte Mason'ish, but it uses the techniques of color coding and marking for the "phonics rules" portion of it without giving all the rules a formal name. Then she got phonics reinforcement through her spelling program, Building Spelling Skills from Christian Liberty Press.

I'm now using RME with dd #3 who has Apraxia of Speech and is delayed in her reading and language arts. I've used MANY things with this child, and so far RME seems to be working really well. DD #1 had told me a long time ago to "just use Reading Made Easy, Mom", but I didn't re-buy and give it a try until very recently. I think I should've listened to my oldest dd. ;)

I haven't started spelling with dd #3 yet, but I have All About Spelling here to use with her, as I think she may be dyslexic. I hope to start during the next month, but I may find that it isn't necessary. I got it in a desperate attempt to help things click, but that was before I started RME with her, and now I fear that all the "rules" and mechanics in AAS may just confuse her. We'll see what happens over the coming weeks.... but definitely two :thumbup: for RME with both a natural reader and a delayed/possibly dyslexic reader.

Thanks for your post. I'm planning to use FIAR with her for at least 2-3 years and it seems RME would work well with that. I've used AAS through Level 4 and that might be a great follow-up to RME.

I use RME here too and love it. I've tried SO many reading/phonics programs over the years but this is the one we've stuck with. We also use the CD, basically like ETC workbooks but the lessons tie in exactly with the program. It's a great combo. I also received an email from her (maybe a year ago??) With ready made printable letter and word cards to print out. Might want to check her website for those, makes it even easier.

I highly recommend Reading Made Easy. I have no idea why it isn't mentioned more here.

Thanks for your endorsement! How many pages did you need to print out per workbook?

I'm using RME with my 5 year old dd, and I really like it. It is so easy to use. We also use ETC a bit, but I do not think it is necessary.

Looks like the RME workbooks could replace ETC and coordinate exactly. Did you just have the ETC books on hand or did you choose them over the RME workbooks?

I have it too and I think it's a great program. We have the optional workbooks, which are nice. I heard of RME after I had already purchased and started using McRuffy phonics. I saw a used copy for sale here and I couldn't resist at least trying it and seeing what it was like. Sooo....I've been kinda using both. My daughter loves them both and won't let me get rid of either of them. I highly recommend RME.

Thanks - I'm hoping to stick with one all-in-one program for a few years since I'm busy with two older siblings and a toddler as well.

We like it. We use it in conjunction with Progressive Phonics. It is very easy to use -- mostly open and go. I have never taught reading, so I like how it spells it out for me. We have the workbook CD, but don't use it as my daughter doesn't care for workbook pages. She does enjoy the exercise at the end of the later lessons where she draws her own picture and writes a sentence about it.

Workbook 1 ~ 112 pages

Workbook 2 ~ 112 pages

Workbook 3 ~ 132 pages

Workbook 4 ~ 158 pages + certificate page

I can't remember how the prices compare, but I got my workbooks from CBD when they had free shipping.

Thank you! The books ar $9.95 or so at Rainbow Resource so I just need to see if it will be significatly cheaper to print or have them printed. I might just go with the workbooks - I've found with Math Mammoth that I don't like doing a lot of printing at home.

Thank you! The books ar $9.95 or so at Rainbow Resource so I just need to see if it will be significatly cheaper to print or have them printed. I might just go with the workbooks - I've found with Math Mammoth that I don't like doing a lot of printing at home.

:iagree:

I try to avoid printing if at all possible. I hope you enjoy RME (I'm sure you will).