Menu

Catholicism, Christianity, Denominations?

I kindly ask that you do not post if your response will be negative, demeaning or unhelpful.

I believe the Bible is the infallible word of God and was not meant to be added to by man after it's completion. I also believe in the Trinity. I respectfully ask that if you deem yourself of Christian faith and do not believe the aforementioned statements, that you do not respond.

After reading many thought provoking threads here, I have begun to search deeper into my own spiritual beliefs (raised MS Lutheran and have been non-demon. for years). My search also began because so many churches (mostly non-demon, but not all) are too worldly and soft on the Bible for my liking.

I ask these question with sincerity and honesty.

For those who studied/researched a faith before choosing, what solidified your choice?

Does anyone feel that a particular Christian denom. is closest to the truth and why?

What are the major differences between Catholicism and Protestant Christianity? (Edited to specify)

Tell me anything thing you deem helpful. Tell me your own story. My heart and mind are wanting to hear!

Please PM me if you are more comfortable doing so.

Edited by OregonNative

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to decide if I qualify under your conditions. As a Catholic, I certainly take the Bible seriously, but not always literally in a fundamentalist sense. And I don't follow Sola Scriptura. But I do seriously study the Bible, and it is a big part of my faith.

For those who studied/researched a faith before choosing, what solidified your choice?

Reading about the early church fathers and what they believed.

Does anyone feel that a particular Christian denom. is closest to the truth and why?

My guess is that we all feel that way, to some extent, about our own branch of Christianity or we would be something else.

What are the major differences between Catholicism and Christianity?

I don't think you mean it badly, but this semantically is a big offense to Catholics. Catholics ARE Christians. There are differences between what Catholics believe versus protestants, but we are ALL members of the Christian faith. Those differences would be pretty specific to whatever faith tradition you are comparing with, so it may help to start with the Leo Rosten Handbook of Denominations or something similiar to get a good basis for what different groups believe.

Tell me anything thing you deem helpful. Tell me your own story. My heart and mind are wanting to hear.

I converted to the Catholic faith 14 years ago. I have a Baptist/Pentecostal background, and it is a long story. The gist of it is that the more I looked at the history and the church fathers, the more seriously I looked at the Catholic Church. John Henry Newman has a famous quote "To be deep in history is to cease to be protestant." I found that to be very much true, in my case.

If you want to talk further about what the Catholic Church teaches and why we believe what we do, feel free to PM me. I wish you peace in your own faith journey.

Edited by Asenik

I am trying to decide if I qualify under your conditions. As a Catholic, I certainly take the Bible seriously, but not always literally in a fundamentalist sense. And I don't follow Sola Scriptura. But I do seriously study the Bible, and it is a big part of my faith.

I don't think you mean it badly, but this is a big offense to Catholics. Catholics ARE Christians. There are differences between what Catholics believe versus protestants, but we are ALL members of the Christian faith. Those differences would be pretty specific to whatever faith tradition you are comparing with, so it may help to start with Leo Rosten's Handbook of Denominations or something similar to get a good basis for what different groups believe.

I'm sorry, I did not mean this to be offensive. I guess I don't know how to phrase it correctly. What I'm wanting to know is how Catholicism is different from Protestant based Christianity. I was once told by my Lutheran pastor that Christians and Catholics have somewhat different beliefs, but are essentially on the same team.

Could you explain what you mean by Fundamentalist sense? I also don't know what Sola Scriptura is:blushing:

Edited by OregonNative

Luther's 95 theses are the 95 points of discussion that he wanted to bring up with the Catholic Church. If you want to really understand the difference between Lutherans and Catholics, I would start there. I do not know how much the Catholic Church has changed since then. Luther wanted to see changes in the Catholic Church, he never wanted to break the church up.

I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran (although I do have issues with some things like the fundraising that goes on in most of the LCMS churches I have been in:glare:, and I would prefer a more family integrated style of church and a whole lot less of the contemporary watered down services, and better Christian education.) As a whole I don't have problems with their doctrine although my dh who was in the baptist church for a while as a kid has a problem with infant baptism.

The thing that has solidified my choice is reading the bible when I have questioned why something is done either in the LCMS church or in other churches that friends go to.

I have been Lutheran all my life, and I have been really conservative most of my adult life. There are lots of people and things including the bible that have influenced me. I can't just point to one thing.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

I'm sorry, I did not mean this to be offensive. I guess I don't know how to phrase it correctly. What I'm wanting to know is how Catholicism is different from Protestant based Christianity. I was once told by my Lutheran pastor that Christians and Catholics have somewhat different beliefs, but are essentially on the same team.

Could you explain what you mean by Fundamentalist sense? I also don't know what Sola Scriptura is:blushing:

Sola Scriptura is a reformed term. My understanding, limited though, is that Catholics use scripture and tradition in their understanding/application of their faith. People practicing reformed christianity [read - me] take understanding and application from scripture alone. [Obviously, I will never be a spokesman for the reformed faith. :tongue_smilie:]

I know you didn't mean it to be. But it is easier to discuss it if we have the same vocabulary. :)

I feel comfortable sharing what the Catholic Church teaches, but it is a lot harder to compare that with what other churches teach. That varies so much, even within denominations. I wouldn't necessarily want to speak for them and definitively say what they believe to make that comparision. Or offend anybody by trying to do that.

Anyhow, all this to say that I would be happy to talk with you more privately. And I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

ETA: Sola Scriptura would mean that the Bible is the sole authority in matters of faith. Catholics don't believe that. Catholics believe that scripture is only one part of the deposit of faith handed down by the apostles -- the written part. Tradition is the oral part, which was not written down, and we believe that Tradition is equally important to our understanding of the faith.

We also believe scripture is true, but not always in a literal sense. The writers sometimes used allegory and symbolism to communicate the truth to us.

Edited by Asenik

I am Roman Catholic from birth, lapsed, and then came back a while ago. I also struggle to understand and compare and contrast the different denominations of Christianity- in my case it's because my mother's side has a long tradition of being Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod and my grandmother was disowned when she married a Roman Catholic and converted.

I am still processing things, but thought this might be helpful. When I was thinking to join a local christian homeschool group, I had one of the priests at our church read over the statement of faith. The statement not compatible with Catholicism was, "We believe the Bible to be the infallible word of God, the supreme and final authority for all faith and life."

The priest wrote on the page:

The Roman Catholic Church believes in the Teachings of the Church (Dogma) and in the Traditions of hundreds of years. The only infallible source in the Catholic Church is the Pope when he speaks "ex-cathedra".

Now my dad also told me there are actually different types of Catholicism as well- just to make it more confusing for me. Some don't follow the Pope I guess?

I also wish I understood more. Most of the discussions I read about comparing Christian religions devolve into fighting though, so I do hope this one doesn't! I'm kind of newer to the hive, so I don't know how things usually flow here. Hopefully good!

The OP said between Catholicism and Protestant Christianity, not between Catholocism and Christianity.

The original post has been edited. :)

Thank you for clarifying, OP. One of the primary differences between Catholics and Protesants is the role of tradition. Catholics believe that the Word of God includes both written Scripture and oral Tradition. Here's a helpful article: http://www.catholic.com/library/Scripture_and_Tradition.asp

ETA: OragnicAnn and I cross-posted! Don't want you to think I'm ganging up on you!

Edited by Zuzu822

I was reared in a Southern Baptist church until college. During college, besides Southern Baptist, I was exposed to the Episcopalian and Assemblies of God churches (mostly through boyfriends). In my mid to late twenties, I attended a conservative branch of the Presbyterian church (PCA) - it had a "Baptist" feel. Most of my relatives are life-time Methodists. That is the back story.:001_smile:

I have been in a non denominational church for the past 12 years. It is my first real experience with a non denominational church. My husband introduced me to it. Although it is not a perfect fit for me, I have come to be comfortable with it, love some parts about it, miss some parts of my Baptist upbringing and wonder longingly about Catholicism at times. I fit in with all of your stated criteria. I have not personally found that the non denominational church we attend is worldly or soft on the Bible, but my experience with non denominational churches is not extensive. I don't think any denomination has the "corner of the market" on truth. I also think that churches within a denomination vary greatly. So much depends on the leadership.

I received in the mail today "So you don't want to attend church anymore" (or something similar) and plan to read it. I am on a search, as well. I don't believe my search has much to do with my particular church, though. I am not unhappy there.

I don't know if that helps you at all but there it is. All the best to you in your search. I do believe that, as it says in the Bible, if we seek, we will find.

I was raised by parents who had a very strict Catholic back ground themselves, but who were greatly infulenced by the flower children of the 60s and 70s. So, my up bringing in the Church wasn't so great.

I ended up being a lasped Catholic by the time I hit my 20s. I along with my dh and our girls returned to our Catholic faith 4 years ago this Jan 1st. Before we returned, I did look into other churches lightly. I kept coming back to the fact that Jesus called Peter the rock on which he would build his Church. The Church he built is the Catholic Church.

There are many other differences such as with the Pope, the Eucharist, and Church authority.

Edited by Gretchen in NJ

I'm a cradle Catholic so I have no real answer.

Catholics believe that the Catholic church is the chruch Jesus founded while on Earth. That said, how could one go wrong with the church founded by Christ? Also if you ask a person of the Orthodox church they will say the Catholic Church broke away. The Catholics say the Orthodox broke away. You'll have to research the Great Schism yourself to find what you believe to be the truth.

What are the major differences between Catholicism and Protestant Christianity?

To my understanding the main difference between Catholic and Protestant churches is that Protestant churches are sola scriptura which the Catholics do not believe in. We believe we have the fullness of faith because we believe the Bible and we have Sacred Tradition.

Tell me anything thing you deem helpful. Tell me your own story. My heart and mind are wanting to hear!

I can tell you that dh joined the Catholic church after being married to me for 11 years. He joined on our 11th anniversary. On that day he came into full communion with the chruch (First Eucharist/Sacrament of Confirmation) and our marriage was convalidated. Dh grew up in the Methodist chruch so it wasn't a great leap for him. As his pastor put it to us when he married us, Methodist is the grandchild of the Catholic chruch.

PM me if you have any questions.

I am Roman Catholic from birth, lapsed, and then came back a while ago. I also struggle to understand and compare and contrast the different denominations of Christianity- in my case it's because my mother's side has a long tradition of being Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod and my grandmother was disowned when she married a Roman Catholic and converted.

I am still processing things, but thought this might be helpful. When I was thinking to join a local christian homeschool group, I had one of the priests at our church read over the statement of faith. The statement not compatible with Catholicism was, "We believe the Bible to be the infallible word of God, the supreme and final authority for all faith and life."

The priest wrote on the page:

Now my dad also told me there are actually different types of Catholicism as well- just to make it more confusing for me. Some don't follow the Pope I guess?

I also wish I understood more. Most of the discussions I read about comparing Christian religions devolve into fighting though, so I do hope this one doesn't! I'm kind of newer to the hive, so I don't know how things usually flow here. Hopefully good!

Welcome prairiebird to the hive mind. :D

Nope, that isn't quiet right. There is only one Catholic church. There are several different rites though. The Latin Rite is the one most of us are most familiar with. The others are Armenian, West Syria, the Byzantine, the Antiochian, the Alexandrian and East Syria. All of these rites are in full communion with the Holy See.

Nope, that isn't quiet right. There is only one Catholic church. There are several different rites though. The Latin Rite is the one most of us are most familiar with. The others are Armenian, West Syria, the Byzantine, the Antiochian, the Alexandrian and East Syria. All of these rites are in full communion with the Holy See.

I think she or her father may have been referring to the ones not in full communion with the Holy See. I can't think of their name, but Mel Gibson belongs to one of them: a P_____ the 10th. It starts with a P. ????

As for infant baptism, Christian parents profess faith for their children just as Jewish parents of the Old Testament did when circumcising their male infants. St. Paul refers to baptism as a "...circumcision not administered by hand." Colossians 2:11

There are some Protestant denominations that practice infant baptism.

I think she or her father may have been referring to the ones not in full communion with the Holy See. I can't think of their name, but Mel Gibson belongs to one of them: a P_____ the 10th. It starts with a P. ????

That would be the Society of St. Pius X - SSPX for short. This group is not in full communion with the Holy See.

Could be SSPX (Society of St. Pius X). It is a traditionalist group that basically takes things back to pre-Vatican II and has issues with the validity of the current papacy, due to that. And of course, to further complicate, you have the traditionalist groups that are traditionalist but who are still in communion with the Church like the FSSP and the Institute of Christ the King. But I am SO off topic now ...

The other groups are rites, which have their own expression of the faith in their own liturgy but share the same theology and submit to the authority of the Pope and of the Church. I know Anglican has their own rite now too, for the Anglicans that have come back into communion with the Catholic Church.

Edited by Asenik

Could be SSPX (Society of St. Pius X). It is a traditionalist group that basically takes things back to pre-Vatican II and has issues with the vailidty of the current papacy, due to that.

The other groups are rites, which have their own expression of the faith in their own liturgy but share the same theology and submit to the authority of the Pope and of the Church. I know Anglican has their own rite now too, for the Anglicans that have come back into communion with the Catholic Church.

Yes! That is the one I was thinking about.

I kindly ask that you do not post if your response will be negative, demeaning or unhelpful.

I believe the Bible is the infallible word of God and was not meant to be added to by man after it's completion. I also believe in the Trinity. I respectfully ask that if you deem yourself of Christian faith and do not believe the aforementioned statements, that you do not respond.

After reading many thought provoking threads here, I have begun to search deeper into my own spiritual beliefs (raised MS Lutheran and have been non-demon. for years). My search also began because so many churches (mostly non-demon, but not all) are too worldly and soft on the Bible for my liking.

I like the questions you have raised and will try to answer them from my perspective (life long Methodist, Bible reader). I have also started searching to understand denominational differences.

I have looked around and still prefer Methodist.

God's truth is not limited by denomination.

For me there is a greater divide between reform and non-reform. Methodists are non-reform.

Just as Catholics have scripture and tradition, Methodists have the Wesley quadrilateral. ("Wesley believed that the living core of the Christian faith was revealed in Scripture, illumined by tradition, vivified in personal experience, and confirmed by reason. Scripture [however] is primary, revealing the Word of God 'so far as it is necessary for our salvation") This quote is cited in the wikipedia article on the quadrilateral.

Again, in my experience; the need to delve further into my own faith and the history of my denomination came from moving to a different part of the country. I found that the perception of faith here and the endless debate about who was and was not 'saved' was so antithetical to my background that I began doubt whether I wanted to self-identify as a Christian anymore. I have come to an interim conclusion that Christianity and 'churchiness' are not always interrelated, but my faith in Christ has been renewed.

My faith walk begins and ends in protestantism although we have recently made the switch to the dark side - reformed. :D I don't think I chose anything, I think He chose me.

For me it all boils down to understanding scripture and believing it to be not only the infallible Word of God, but his SOLE authority left to us to live our lives. Therefore I could never be a Catholic, nor could I be a Mormon or of other faiths that believe in tradition or popes or further prophecy. Nor could I ever move toward a faith that believed I needed any kind of intercessor between myself and Christ.

I will say it took getting out of a very topical and "relevant" mega-sized Bible church and into a church that is very serious about bible study and theology. That was very, very important to dh and I after many years of feeling like church was so social and ultra-light. You might have different needs. I'd suggest you do get a book or look at some Wiki articles and start to narrow down the different denominations and what they believe.

It sounds like you are Protestant in the way you worded scripture as God's infallible Word, belief in the Trinity, and no additions after His word was completed. Where are you with infant baptism? I am solidly credo (believers) baptist, so Presbyterian didn't work for me. We are Reformed Baptist and landed at a really, really great church. It's not in our backyard, but it's worth the drive for us. I will keep you in my prayers as I know this search can be quite daunting. Pray, pray and pray some more for wisdom and direction as you seek. He will guide you!

I am a Protestant Christian, but I've done a lot of research on Catholicism, mostly as a result of going to a very Catholic college and being surrounded by wonderfully devout Catholics. :) A site I found very helpful in discovering what Catholics believe is Catholic Answers: http://www.catholic.com/ HTH! Theology gets complicated really quickly, otherwise I would try to explain some big differences between Catholics and Protestants here.

This is a very insightful discussion. Thank you for having it and asking the questions. I have one to add from a recent experience. We have moved and are seeking a new church.

Is anyone familiar with the practice of close communion? In visiting a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, I was told that I could not take communion.

It was on my second visit to the church and I was shocked. I couldn't stay for the service and felt a very deep sense of disappointment. Is this truly a practice from bible teachings or is it a manmade/denomination decision?

Apparently this is the practice of LCMS churches, but it did not happen to my husband and I when we attended an LCMS church from our previous home town.

We travel alot. Past military and have been a part of Episcopal Churches, Methodists and the other Lutheran church.

It still bothers me (my husband said it shouldn't). What do you think?

I too am seeking a church to grow and truly understand my faith and relationship with God and Jesus.

I am also a cradle Catholic and choose to remain so.

General reasons why I feel Catholicism is closest to the truth and what makes Catholicism different from Protestantism have been already been mentioned here. My more in-depth reasons why I live so strongly in my faith are too numerous to mention and I'm not that great at articulating.

I believe in prayer intercessors. Praying directly to Christ is powerful, but a group of people (or a few patron saints) praying for the same thing is really powerful.

This is a very insightful discussion. Thank you for having it and asking the questions. I have one to add from a recent experience. We have moved and are seeking a new church.

Is anyone familiar with the practice of close communion? In visiting a Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, I was told that I could not take communion.

It was on my second visit to the church and I was shocked. I couldn't stay for the service and felt a very deep sense of disappointment. Is this truly a practice from bible teachings or is it a manmade/denomination decision?

Apparently this is the practice of LCMS churches, but it did not happen to my husband and I when we attended an LCMS church from our previous home town.

We travel alot. Past military and have been a part of Episcopal Churches, Methodists and the other Lutheran church.

I too am seeking a church to grow and truly understand my faith and relationship with God and Jesus.

I hope I explain this well. The RCC (and, I *believe*, Orthodox as well) believe in the Real Presence; that is, the Blessed Sacrament becomes the Body and Blood of Christ through transubstantiation. As such one should not partake of the Scacrament if one is not is a state of grace such as one would be after Confession/Reconciliation. Too, one must understand and believe in transubstantiation before receiving the Eucharist. It is considered, mmm, harmful spiritually to partake of the Eucharist is one is not in a state of grace.

Contrary to what others may believe the practice of closed Communion within the RCC does not mean Catholics think they're "better Christians" or anyone else is not saved, doomed to Hell, etc.

I can't speak to any other denomination which practices closed Communion. Good luck with your search.

The Catholics were first.

Edited by asta

To my understanding the main difference between Catholic and Protestant churches is that Protestant churches are sola scriptura which the Catholics do not believe in. We believe we have the fullness of faith because we believe the Bible and we have Sacred Tradition.

Sola scriptura has nothing to do with being protestant. Protestants are those groups that originally protested against the policies of the RCC, primarily papal infallibility, role of grace, and selling indulgences. Fundamentalists are a subgroup of protestants who believe the bible is the perfect word of God. Not all protestants believe that.

Some protestants practice infant baptism, others do not (adult baptism instead).

Some protestant groups have more in common with RCC that they have in common with other protestant faiths.

ETA: there is a difference between believing scripture is inerrant and believing it is to be taken literally. That is probably the biggest difference I see between denominations. Some, like RCC, ELCA Lutheran, Episcopal, and Methodist *tend* to be contextual in their interpretation of the scriptures, which means reading them understanding the times in which they were written and the church traditions/history "saints of all times and places". Most "christians" we hear about now in the media these days are from the literal-interpretation fundamentalist branch. So I agree with a pp that things like whether a church is "reformed" or Calvinist says more about their beliefs than whether they are Catholic or Protestant.

Finally, open/closed communion can vary. When I went to a Jesuit HS I was allowed to take communion, even though I am not RCC. However at a RCC wedding I did not take communion. Some groups believe you need to be in a state of grace; others require baptism or instruction; others offer it as a free and open gift from God. I won't get into a theological argument on that! :D

Edited by ChandlerMom
clarify

I'm a bit puzzled by your orange comments....

You're asking people (in part) for THEIR experiences/opinions/etc with Christianity...

....but only if they meet *YOUR definition of a Christian? :confused:

*Edit: I happen to share those two specific beliefs myself. I still find it puzzling (and a bit sad) that you ask for people's 'stories' - yet with restrictions.

Edited by LidiyaDawn

Reading about the early church fathers and what they believed.

My guess is that we all feel that way, to some extent, about our own branch of Christianity or we would be something else.

I don't think you mean it badly, but this semantically is a big offense to Catholics. Catholics ARE Christians. There are differences between what Catholics believe versus protestants, but we are ALL members of the Christian faith. Those differences would be pretty specific to whatever faith tradition you are comparing with, so it may help to start with the Leo Rosten Handbook of Denominations or something similiar to get a good basis for what different groups believe.

Tell me anything thing you deem helpful. Tell me your own story. My heart and mind are wanting to hear.

I converted to the Catholic faith 14 years ago. I have a Baptist/Pentecostal background, and it is a long story. The gist of it is that the more I looked at the history and the church fathers, the more seriously I looked at the Catholic Church. John Henry Newman has a famous quote "To be deep in history is to cease to be protestant." I found that to be very much true, in my case.

If you want to talk further about what the Catholic Church teaches and why we believe what we do, feel free to PM me. I wish you peace in your own faith journey.

I am a convert of 6.5 yrs now.

When I started researching Church history I couldnt' be Protestant any more. I had fallen away from all practice of religion because it was illogical to me all the many branches of Protestantism teaching various things. It cannot be possible that PastorX teaches it a sin to cut your hair and Pastor U if you drink at all. It cannot be true that once saved always saved and you have to work for your salvation.

Sola scriptura never made sense to me because everyone interpreted the Bible differently. How did we get the Bible anyway. It didn't fall from the sky as it is. God intrusted man to bring it to us. I think it is good to read the Bible yourself but without somewhat of a knowledge of the language, customs, culture and literature you can place your own perceptions on it.

Hi! We're Lutheran (Missouri Synod). I am very sorry that you felt unwelcomed at this church you were visiting. As far as Communion, MOST LCMS churches only allow Communion to other confirmed Lutherans (I did belong to a really liberal LCMS church that allowed Communion to any Christian -but this pastor was a trailblazing dude :tongue_smilie:).

You said that on your second visit to the church, you couldn't stay for the service? What the *&^%?? I have never seen anyone ever asked to leave or not stay for service. In fact, I visited Concordia in St Louis and they had a giant help desk for visitors.

When we move and I'm looking for a new church...da dum dum...there are several things I "look" for. I email the pastor and say that I'm visiting and I ask what their policies are on transferring to their congregation. I also scour their website to look for "red flags" in my paranoid mind. :tongue_smilie: If I see anything that bothers me, we don't even visit.

According to our last pastor (at the really liberal church), the LCMS denomination is just pulling in all kinds of directions. There are lots of Lutherans who are very, very conservative and Old School. Then, there are Lutherans who are pulling into a very progressive direction and it's going to eventually give. There will either end up being yet another split or the entire denomination is going to go in one direction.

Church politics... :glare:

Once again, I'm very sorry that happened to you. I grew up in another denomination where I saw some serious hair-raising stuff. I won't step foot in one of their churches, either. Too bad that churches can't just behave themselves. :banghead:

I'm a bit puzzled by your orange comments....

You're asking people (in part) for THEIR experiences/opinions/etc with Christianity...

....but only if they meet *YOUR definition of a Christian? :confused:

*Edit: I happen to share those two specific beliefs myself. I still find it puzzling (and a bit sad) that you ask for people's 'stories' - yet with restrictions.

There are non-Christians on this board too.

Close communion in the LCMS isn't across the board. The reason that there is close communion is because the pastors want to make sure the sacraments are given rightly.

There are certain beliefs that they think you should adhere to and if they commune you and you differ from these they are partially responsible for your sin. They believe you may be eating and drinking to your own eternal d@mnation.

The LCMS churches that practice close communion do not allow other types of Lutherans to commune without instruction. There is a great divide between between the ELCA churches and the LCMS churches. They do not have alter and pulpit fellowship.

Sola scriptura has nothing to do with being protestant. Protestants are those groups that originally protested against the policies of the RCC, primarily papal infallibility, role of grace, and selling indulgences. Fundamentalists are a subgroup of protestants who believe the bible is the perfect word of God. Not all protestants believe that.

Some protestants practice infant baptism, others do not (adult baptism instead).

Some protestant groups have more in common with RCC that they have in common with other protestant faiths.

ETA: there is a difference between believing scripture is inerrant and believing it is to be taken literally. That is probably the biggest difference I see between denominations. Some, like RCC, ELCA Lutheran, Episcopal, and Methodist *tend* to be contextual in their interpretation of the scriptures, which means reading them understanding the times in which they were written and the church traditions/history "saints of all times and places". Most "christians" we hear about now in the media these days are from the literal-interpretation fundamentalist branch. So I agree with a pp that things like whether a church is "reformed" or Calvinist says more about their beliefs than whether they are Catholic or Protestant.

Finally, open/closed communion can vary. When I went to a Jesuit HS I was allowed to take communion, even though I am not RCC. However at a RCC wedding I did not take communion. Some groups believe you need to be in a state of grace; others require baptism or instruction; others offer it as a free and open gift from God. I won't get into a theological argument on that! :D

If a person is not Roman Catholic, then why would s/he WANT to take Holy Communion at a Roman Catholic Church? Receiving Communion is receiving the literal Body and Blood of Jesus and if s/he does not believe that, what is the point?

I am not saying that anyone here has said this but Holy Communion isn't "feel good" moment for those at Mass that day where everyone just joins in because they are attending. Priests who offer Holy Communion to non-Catholics are NOT doing the correct thing. That is on their soul.

If a person is not Roman Catholic, then why would s/he WANT to take Holy Communion at a Roman Catholic Church? Receiving Communion is receiving the literal Body and Blood of Jesus and if s/he does not believe that, what is the point?

I am not saying that anyone here has said this but Holy Communion isn't "feel good" moment for those at Mass that day where everyone just joins in because they are attending. Priests who offer Holy Communion to non-Catholics are NOT doing the correct thing. That is on their soul.

There are many people that believe communion is the literal Body and Blood of Jesus but are not Roman Catholic. I'm Episcopalian and believe it is the Body and Blood, and always have.

There are many people that believe communion is the literal Body and Blood of Jesus but are not Roman Catholic. I'm Episcopalian and believe it is the Body and Blood, and always have.

But my point is why would anyone want to go to a RC church and partake in something s/he doesn't believe in?

If you are Episcopalian, you don't believe in the RC faith, so why go there and want to be in communion? :confused: Not that I am saying you do, but the general *you.*

It is not just the belief in the Body and Blood, but also WHERE.

As an aside on infant baptism, the Presbyterian church I attended practiced infant baptism (sprinkling on the head with water) but taught that it was not associated with salvation but rather a covenant with God to rear your child in the teachings of the Bible/Christianity. At some point in the future, your child would either choose to be a "convenant breaker" or a "covenant keeper". The Methodist church practices infant baptism, but I am unclear what their beliefs on it are. The Baptist church does not practice infant baptism - they dedicate infants/children in a ceremony in front of the church. This was the same experience I had in my current non denominational church. I have not been at an infant baptism at a denomination in which the ceremony was intended to confer salvation to the infant's soul. (But I can only speak for my experience in the above denominations.)

I know Wiki isn't the be all and end of all internet research, but it is easiest for the average person to understand, and it is easy for me to access.

Sola Scriptura was one of the main reasons Protestants

Sola scriptura has quite a bit to do with being Protestant. You won't find it in the Catholic Church.

Sola scriptura was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the Reformers and is a formal principle of Protestantism today

The Reformation wasn't all about the sale of indulgences. Luther had 95 Thesis, not just one on indulgences. The Five Solas might be of interest.

I'm sure that with thousands of Protestant denominations there are Protestant denominations that run the gamut between having more than a few things in common with the Catholic Church and having very little to do with the Catholic Church.

Since there is no one Protestant church it stands to reason that there is a wide variety of beliefs.

Otherwise you are mixing apples and oranges with the above statement. There is only one Catholic church. The Catholic church can't be "reformed" or Calvinistic so you really can't include it in your comparison.

Just because you were allowed to receive the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist does not mean you were allowed to receive correctly. It doesn't mean that the priest who allowed this won't have to answer for it. It doesn't mean that there won't be consequences.

When you say "Some groups believe..." are you referring to different Christian denominations or Catholic Orders such as the Jesuits, Dominicans, etc? If you are referring to Christian denominations in general then yes, I agree with your statement above. If you were referring to different Catholic Orders then, no, what you wrote above is a load of bunk. The Catholic church is not divided in such a manner that a non-Catholic can just find another Catholic church open to offering the Holy Eucharist to non-Catholics.

Edited by Parrothead

"For those who studied/researched a faith before choosing, what solidified your choice?"

I do not fit this category. While I have studied a large number of worldwide religions, taking college classes pertaining to those religions, etc., I have largely remained within the denomination in which I grew up for most of my life. I'm rather a fuddy-duddy in that way, and besides, I don't think denomination matters at all....

"Does anyone feel that a particular Christian denom. is closest to the truth and why?"

No, I do not. I feel that all contain some elements of "the truth", but that all also have some areas in which they have diverged from that truth and in which they fail their followers. "Religion," to me, is just a trapping or a parameter within which many of us practice our faith. It is the faith that is important, not the way in which we practice it (again, in my opinion) as regards format of worship, prayer, etc.....

"What are the major differences between Catholicism and Protestant Christianity? (Edited to specify)"

I would guess that many would include our views regarding communion, our views regarding intercession, and our views regarding faith vs. works. Disposition of the soul after death might also differ....

"Tell me anything thing you deem helpful. Tell me your own story. My heart and mind are wanting to hear!"

I am perhaps going to be different than many answers in that I'm going to say that I am beginning to feel that denomination is a hindrance rather than a help in practicing faith. I don't mean to intimate that non-denominational churches are getting it right, either, because as you've mentioned many of those may also be rather lax in applying the doctrines of Christ. Living our faith is about what we get up and do or don't do every day by way of helping others, showing grace to others (a serious downfall on my own part), praying for others, and living our lives in a way that we tread lightly on the earth and make way/room for other peoples of the world....

Could be SSPX (Society of St. Pius X). It is a traditionalist group that basically takes things back to pre-Vatican II

What is pre-Vatican II?

issues with the validity of the current papacy, due to that. What does this statement mean?.

I kept coming back to the fact that Jesus called Peter the rock on which he would build his Church. The Church he built is the Catholic Church. How embarrassing, but I didn't know this:001_huh: Very thought provoking!

Holy See-What is the Holy See?.

My faith walk begins and ends in protestantism although we have recently made the switch to the dark side - reformed. What exactly does reformed mean and why is it considered the "dark side" by some?

For me it all boils down to understanding scripture and believing it to be not only the infallible Word of God, but his SOLE authority left to us to live our lives. Therefore I could never be a Catholic, nor could I be a Mormon or of other faiths that believe in tradition or popes or further prophecy. Nor could I ever move toward a faith that believed I needed any kind of intercessor between myself and Christ.

I will say it took getting out of a very topical and "relevant" mega-sized Bible church and into a church that is very serious about bible study and theology. Yes! This is what I was trying to say in my original post. This is what I feel I'm being led towards.

It sounds like you are Protestant in the way you worded scripture as God's infallible Word, belief in the Trinity, and no additions after His word was completed. Where are you with infant baptism? Being raised LCMS-the church did do infant baptism-meaning the parents took an oath to raise the child in faith (this was stated much better by someone else in the thread). The non-denom churches we have attended do not practice it. I've never really reached a definite opinion. (I am solidly credo (believers) baptist, so Presbyterian didn't work for me. Could you explain what a credo baptist is and how it conflicts with Presby for you? We are Reformed Baptist What exactly does "reform" change in the Baptist Church?

I don't have a complete answer for you, but it is only the past 100-150 years that the Christian world has practiced open communion. To me, the interesting question was why that change happened. Hmmmmm..........I too am interested in why it was changed. I didn't know this and now you have me very curious!

Protestants are those groups that originally protested against the policies of the RCC, primarily papal infallibility, role of grace, and selling indulgences. Could you explain further the items I bolded in regards to the RCC?

Oh boy! I have a lot of research ahead. I didn't even know there were Fundamentalist and Traditionalist divisions w/in denominations!

As an aside on infant baptism, the Presbyterian church I attended practiced infant baptism (sprinkling on the head with water) but taught that it was not associated with salvation but rather a covenant with God to rear your child in the teachings of the Bible/Christianity. At some point in the future, your child would either choose to be a "convenant breaker" or a "covenant keeper".

This is also how I was raised as LCMS.