Menu

WWYD? Illness related . . . .

12/24 - my 14 yo comes down with a terrible stomach virus. Fever, throwing up, etc. Lasted about 20 hours. He missed church:(

12/24 pm - my 13 yo and 10 yo come down with the same thing. Lasted about 20 hours. They were sick for present opening:(

12/26 - my sister (visiting) came down with the same thing. We had a lunch date that had to be cancelled :(

12/26 pm - her two kids now have it. (They've since left.)

12/27 - my brother now has it. (He's also left.)

All my houseguests have left as of today. We're supposed to leave tomorrow to be with them all again with another side of the family tomorrow. Three members of my immediate family haven't been sick yet. Should we wait another day to let it go through the rest of them before we visit? WWYD??????

PS Would it matter that the following week we're driving to FL so that I can run my first marathon????? (I DON;T want to get sick!!!)

Bummer. I guess I knew that. I just really wanted to be there!!! We don't spend time as a family very often. It does seem to be passing VERY fast. So, maybe if we just wait the extra day we'll be okay - IF nobody else gets sick. I figure if my dh, dd4 and I can go another 12 hours without getting sick, we're safe. So, if nobody at the other house gets sick within that time period, we're good. Right????

Bummer. I guess I knew that. I just really wanted to be there!!! We don't spend time as a family very often. It does seem to be passing VERY fast. So, maybe if we just wait the extra day we'll be okay - IF nobody else gets sick. I figure if my dh, dd4 and I can go another 12 hours without getting sick, we're safe. So, if nobody at the other house gets sick within that time period, we're good. Right????

I would normally be fine with no illness for a day and call it good and go. 24 hours with no sickness is the rule of thumb that I've heard.

The wrench is your marathon. Has the house you're going to had the sickies? Are they good about cleaning everything? You could make sure everyone is very diligent about washing hands.

I would normally be fine with no illness for a day and call it good and go. 24 hours with no sickness is the rule of thumb that I've heard.

The wrench is your marathon. Has the house you're going to had the sickies? Are they good about cleaning everything? You could make sure everyone is very diligent about washing hands.

That's the way I see it too. Yes. The house we're visiting has had the sickies. I think we'll wait an extra day to make sure it's not being passed to others there. If so, we'll wait.

The house we're visiting is my mom and dad. And, yes, their house is clean (I have an anal mom!!). But, so is mine and we still passed this along!! LOL I really hate the thought of telling my mom that we're waiting to come for a day because we don't want to get sick. But, we were the ones who started it!!!

Ugh. I hate being sick. I hate when my kids are sick. I hate when my family is sick when we're traveling. Yuck.

I hate to rain on your parade, but it did not work like this for us. We all got it and a few of us it was a week LATER that we got it. My sister said they all got it and finally after 2 weeks it had run its course through the 6 of them. We were not sick very long, it just took that long for everyone to get it and get through it.

I hate to rain on your parade, but it did not work like this for us. We all got it and a few of us it was a week LATER that we got it. My sister said they all got it and finally after 2 weeks it had run its course through the 6 of them. We were not sick very long, it just took that long for everyone to get it and get through it.

ditto...we had it a full 9 days, with some getting it for a day, being fine for a day, and getting it again. About 50+ family all had it last at least 48 hours. :-(

I'm so sorry, Jennifer, but like kwickimom, it took 9 full days to make it through the 5 of us. Cora had it on Friday, Emma got it Monday, Anna got it Tuesday, I got it Thursday, and then finally Patrick got it Sunday. It was awful. I don't know what advice to give you, but I just wanted to tell you that the general 24 hour rule of thumb is not true for this stomach virus that seems to have hit all over the country.

:grouphug:

Okay. I know that some stomach bugs/other bugs have an incubation period of 2 weeks. But, this one seems to be passing in 12 − 24 hours. So, I was figuring that this bug, if gone at the house we're visiting, would be gone soon!!!

I think we'll put it off for another day or so. The marathon is VERY important. I've been training for MONTHS and I'm pretty convinced this is my ONLY marathon. So, I REALLY want to run and finish. It's on January 9th. We're leaving on the 3rd.

Yuck. I hate being sick!!!!

I'm so sorry, Jennifer, but like kwickimom, it took 9 full days to make it through the 5 of us. Cora had it on Friday, Emma got it Monday, Anna got it Tuesday, I got it Thursday, and then finally Patrick got it Sunday. It was awful. I don't know what advice to give you, but I just wanted to tell you that the general 24 hour rule of thumb is not true for this stomach virus that seems to have hit all over the country.

:grouphug:

NOPE. Not what I wanted to hear. Nope. Not at all. :tongue_smilie: Go away. :001_smile:

Well, I guess, we'll just stay here for a couple days. See what happens.

There's the added issue that my brother will be there. LONG story. He's an alcoholic who has been in recovery for five months. Really long story with LOTS of other issues. I want to see him!!

NOPE. Not what I wanted to hear. Nope. Not at all. :tongue_smilie: Go away. :001_smile:

Well, I guess, we'll just stay here for a couple days. See what happens.

There's the added issue that my brother will be there. LONG story. He's an alcoholic who has been in recovery for five months. Really long story with LOTS of other issues. I want to see him!!

Oh honey, I'm so sorry!!!! Praying it's over and done with and you get to have a wonderful visit AND run your marathon!!!

According to the link below, and the CDC's own website, some stomach viruses are contagious up to two weeks AFTER symptoms stop.

I've shared this link before, but it's worth sharing again for more information:

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com

I still don't understand why doctors don't tell us this stuff. While colds are contagious several days before symptoms show up, most stomach viruses are only contagious once somebody starts getting sick, and then for days or weeks after they feel better.

If you don't have time to check out the links, the summary is that you continue to shed virus particles in your feces for that length of time. There is also speculation that it can be shared through saliva. They're so contagious because it only takes ingesting a few virus particles to get sick. So one child, or even an adult, not totally meticulous about handwashing, touches another surface or a person, and they get sick.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers do not kill stomach viruses, either. They have to be made of some other substance--benzyl-something-or-other.

We had a wicked stomach virus several years ago, a week before my son's 6th birthday party. I went ahead with the party because we'd all been vomit/diarrhea free for a few days. Just about everyone who came to that party got sick, and back then I thought there was no way it could've come from us because we felt better. Of course, now I know that we really were the culprits! LOL

So...stay home as long as you can! And practice really, really good handwashing when you go to your marathon.