Menu

I feel trapped

I started homeschooling in 2002. I was so excited by it and loved it and was SO into it. <sigh> Now I feel trapped by it.

I live in an area where I would rather gnaw off my arm then send my dc to the local public schools. My 10 y/o actually has nightmares about having to go to public school and just loves being homeschooled. My 7 y/o has some special needs that would have him labeled and stuck in who knows what kind of situations. :( Sending them to school is not an option. It truly isn't.

But I don't love homeschooling anymore. I feel trapped and exhausted and overwhelmed by it. I spend half my time freaking out that I am ruining my 2 high schoolers lives. I can't afford to screw up their education so I am way uptight about it. (But being uptight doesn't = good education.)

Yeah, I feel trapped. :(

I changed up the routine too much with my younger 3 - K, 2nd, & 4th. I switched them all over to Oak Meadow about 2 months ago. Now I am totally lost with them and feel completely out to lunch. :confused:

I am considering an online situation for the high schoolers but they are adamantly opposed. Ds(16) struggles with school and feels like on - line learning would make it worse. ::think::

I wish there was an out that they would love and I could live with. Right now, I am not seeing it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right???

Thank you for the support!! :grouphug:

:grouphug:

I understand how you are feeling. I know it can get hard, and there is a lot more pressure with the older ones.

For me a couple of different things have helped. My oldest did BJ DVDs last year. It was a life saver. She liked the structure, I liked knowing she was getting everything. This year she is taking classes at college. She can take 2 courses a semester. She doesn't need much more than that, we fill in with Rosetta Stone and a lit course at home. My 7th grader is doing 2 classes online. I still handle the math and English, but she is doing science and Omnibus online. This has been great for her. I know your 16 year old doesn't think online is a good idea, but there are some good options out there, maybe after looking at some together he could find something he likes.

I dropped anything teacher intensive for the younger ones. We use textbooks and then read lots of good books. This took the pressure off. The basics are what's important.

You might need to do something for yourself. I found running to be a huge help in calming me down. Maybe you could find something physical you could do to work the stress out.

One other thing I did was I refused to do anything after 9:30 at night. It didn't matter if the kitchen still needed work, or the house picked up or anything. I stopped. You need to make sure you have down time. It's hard with young ones, but do try and get time when you are doing nothing. It helps restore sanity.

I have felt trapped too, burned out (every few years it hits) and scared. It will work out. Your children will mature into poised, articulate adults that you enjoy being with and that are employable. Keep talking to the other older ones and keep the bar high. What are you using with the high schoolers? You can do a fine job in high school without a lot of money.

I started homeschooling 10 years ago. Though I've got an only child, I work part-time (from home) in addition to homeschooling. I was able to juggle fine until I had to increase my hours 3 years ago from 20 to 30 hrs/wk in order to maintain health benefits (dh has zero). Two years ago, peri-menopause hit. I was feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.

I wanted to send ds to school this year. With the onset of puberty, he has been extremely unpleasant. I do not feel confident in my abilities to teach much at the high school level either. He really did not want to go, so I agreed to continue but we are outsourcing 3 classes this year. I would agree that on-line learning is not ideal. Fortunately, CC is free next year. That's the goal. Public school here is a joke. Private school is expensive ($15,000/yr).

My son's first piano teacher was homeschooled through high school (attended some CC classes as well). Her mom was from Ecuador and was not confident in her own abilities to teacher her dd especially in English. She used Abeka videos and the dd did just fine and eventually went away to a 4 year college.

Please look into all options that will take the burden off you.

I don't know if dual credit is an option where you are.

I've been very pleased with the dual credit classes my oldest has taken. Where I live, dual credit students can take up to two classes each semester at no charge once they have finished 10th grade. Once they have completed 12 credit hours, maintained a minimum of 3.5 GPA at the cc, and have met at least the minimum SAT scores they require, you can request permission to take more than 2 courses/semester. They said my dd could take up to 4 courses each semester on overload this year, so that's what she's doing.

My middle dd will be able to start taking cc classes this summer.

What parts do you love? What do you hate? Are there certain subjects you enjoy, and others you don't? Certain ages/grades you enjoy, and others you don't? Love the planning, hate the implementation, or vice-versa? Can you outsource some of it? Does your area offer any classes for homeschoolers? Any co-ops? Private schools where you can enroll for just one or two classes? On-line options? Do you know any homeschool moms who would swap subjects with you? Or tutor a class or two for your dc?

I do hope you are taking a break this holiday season. Everyone needs time off.

Do you have regular encouragement from other hsing moms? Moms' night out, or support group meetings, or park days, or just some time with other hsing moms when your dc are on field trips or in a class?

Do your older dc have time with peers, either in extra-curriculars or by doing classes with others?

Take some time over the next week and think about what is working and what is not. Think about what is a priority and what is not. For the little 'uns, reading and math cover a whole lot.

For your older two, brainstorming about their future and how to get there might help some. Having them begin taking a class or two or three with someone else as "teacher" can take some burden off of you and give them some responsibility, which is good practice for later on. It doesn't have to be an online class if you can find a local co-op, a small class with 2-4 students, or a tutoring situation.

I have similarly aged children...and the last two days have been wonderful. The house has been SO peaceful and pleasant. No school, no routine chores, no stress. I feel completely happy and content.

But I'm supposed to be planning for the new semester. I'm supposed to be grading piles of high school work. I'm supposed to be restructuring what wasn't working, researching, etc. Just thinking about doing those things makes me feel trapped.

:grouphug: <-- Empathy hug!

I changed up the routine too much with my younger 3 - K, 2nd, & 4th. I switched them all over to Oak Meadow about 2 months ago. Now I am totally lost with them and feel completely out to lunch. :confused:

This is a derail or hijack (or something!) but can you elaborate on this? I think I'd like to use OM or some other Waldorf inspired curriculum for my younger ones. That is part of what I'm supposed to researching as I wanted to start some things in January!