Menu

Sending one dc to ps and feeling a little grief

We made the decision to send one dd to school. I know this decision was well-thought out, but, at the same time, I don't really like that we have to do it. I would just prefer that we could keep hsing all of our dc, so I'm grieving a bit over it. I can't really get into everything but, briefly, in the last year this young dd has dealt with losing her dog, medical issues with two other sisters, a friend who acts emotionally abusive, and all of this has taken its toll on her. She is really active and out-going and wants to go to school more than anything, and I just want to try to see if ps might be better for her right now. I never thought I'd be here...and I'm just trusting in God to guide us and protect her.

This is hard, but second guessing yourself wont make it easier. Just relax with the knowledge that you have done the best thing you can think of.

A very wise children's professional once told me that children recover from almost anything, except one thing: when their parents don't set boundries. That a child almost never recovers from as an adult, because their lives are such a mess because they didn't learn to set boundries for themselves so they don't enforce boundries on others. This doesn't sound like you. So even if things still don't go well, she will recover. Because God loves her and so do you.

I understand completely how you are feeling. We put our ds11 in school about a month ago. I still tear up after I drop him off. I know it is the right place for him now, but deep down I still wish he were home with the rest of us. It is easier now than it was the first couple of weeks. Seeing him enjoying going to school has really helped.

:grouphug:

Also, it might help to put in your mind that this decision is reversible. Try it our for a year and if it doesn't work out like you and dc hoped you can pull them out chalk it up to on of those life experiences to be remembered.

On the other hand if it does work out for the best, then go with it. We, as parents strive to make the best decisions we can with our children, while always putting their best interests at heart. Carry on with the knowledge that you have done exactly that.