Menu

Is it a bad sign if a used car has been at an auto auction?

I was looking at used cars online and one has a car fax showing no accidents, 2 owners but then it was listed as being at an auto auction. It looks like a very nice vehicle but for some reason I always thought auctions were for cars that the dealer had trouble selling. Am I wrong?

Here, car auctions are reserved for cars that were repossessed, possibly by banks, but often were stolen cars. The police typically supply these cars from crime scenes, but it doesn't mean a body was found in it. :tongue_smilie: Just stolen with the plates and registration removed. HTH.

Here, car auctions are reserved for cars that were repossessed, possibly by banks, but often were stolen cars. The police typically supply these cars from crime scenes, but it doesn't mean a body was found in it. :tongue_smilie: Just stolen with the plates and registration removed. HTH.

Here they are usually retired rentals or expired lease/trade ins that the dealer doesn't want to handle. I don't think this means substandard. We've gotten good vehicles from dealers we trust via auction (as in we want this vehicle in excellent condition under this mileage at a price no greater than.... type requests). These were dealer only auctions...I assume that's what the OP is looking at as well.

Edited by sbgrace

I think you can get some great deals at car auctions, just like any other auction, but.. the problem is that you can't try before you buy, and once you've won the bid the item is yours regardless of how much you've paid and whether it was actually worth that money. There's no telling if you're going to need to spend more $$, either. The last time we traded our old car in for a new one, they told us that it would be going to the car auction. It had a major problem with its electrics which would have cost far more than the car was worth to fix.

I guess I'm just a overly cautious soul - I prefer to do my research, take my time, buy guarantees where possible and generally go the extra mile to make sure that I've not thrown good money away.

I asked my dh, who has extensive Used Car experience and this is his answer:

Some dealers take every trade in to an auction. They do this to keep their used car manager honest (some used car managers sell to friends and take kick backs). It should not deter you in any way to buy a car that has been at an auction. Every used car you buy should be inspected by a trusted mechanic. Never buy it at an auction yourself, however. Public auctions are for junky cars. Dealer only auctions are above board and sell good cars.

HTH

Margaret

PS some leased cars are well cared for, others are not. Get this car inspected by a mechanic and you'll be fine.

Edited by Margaret in GA
Added leased car info

I am on my second off-lease car. The first was a Mercury Villager. It was a so-so car. I would put money on it not having been well maintained by the previous owner. The second (and my current car) is a 2002 Saab wagon. It was very well taken care of. It has been trouble free for 4.5 years.

Some dealers take every trade in to an auction. They do this to keep their used car manager honest (some used car managers sell to friends and take kick backs). It should not deter you in any way to buy a car that has been at an auction. Every used car you buy should be inspected by a trusted mechanic. Never buy it at an auction yourself, however. Public auctions are for junky cars. Dealer only auctions are above board and sell good cars.

HTH

Margaret

PS some leased cars are well cared for, others are not. Get this car inspected by a mechanic and you'll be fine.

:iagree: and so does my DH whom has worked at dealerships

This has really helped. Hoping you will continue to read this. I found out the vehicle (Toyota) is not "certified". Salesperson says it would cost them $2300 or so to do so and that is why the price is so good. He says there are no mechanical problems or they wouldn't have kept it... it would have been sent to auction. Idk, now I'm suspicious. He also told me now that the pictures I was looking at were stock photos and that tomorrow he will take some real ones. What do you think? Is certified important?

Edited by BeckyFL

HTH

Margaret

:iagree:

What do you think? Is certified important?

Yes.

If they won't certify it, that generally means there is a potentially expensive problem with the car. If they say it will cost them $2300 to certify the car, your salesperson is either lying to you about the cost, or the car needs quite a bit of work.

I'd pass on that particular car if I were you. Why take a chance when there are so many other cars available that are certified and come with an extended warranty?

Cat